• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuiting Guide

DexterTheFox

So, my conclusion, Tell me if I am right. If i ever get a fursuit, I should get used to it first (mabye just wear it around the house) then if I ever go outside I should get a friend to go with me when I am first starting out, Then, one I am used to everything I should be able to go without a handler (If i know the area which would probably be where I live) and always bring plenty of water and know a good place to take off the mask.

Fay V

Lost to this world
Well I was thinking of getting a suit but that all seems way to complicated.
It's really not, it's just a wordy way to explain something that is usually inherit. particularly just getting used to the suit, fun performance quirks will come. don't overthink it, just remember to get permission and take it slow.

Thank you for this thread! I'm a relatively new handler and while I've done my fair share of research about safety, it's always nice to hear tips from veterans =D

I'm a dedicated cosplayer & I've always been attracted to furries, so when my sister "Came out" I was ecstatic to interact with one on a closer level! We've definitely learned the hard way about doing things,(she and I had our first experience in our Kero (my profile pic) and Suppi cosplays from Cardcaptor Sakura; luckily we had 4 friends with us who were excellent handlers (there were no elevators at the con, so we had to go up and down stairs several times... nightmare!) but now that she's found her footing (she loves quads!), I've made it my mission to be the best handler ever!

Which brings me to the etiquette of assisting stranger fursuiters. Obviously, in a case of extreme emergency, there are no manners. But I'm a little over-protective of my sister & that bleeds into every furry I've encountered. Often times I can't see the handler & the furry looks a bit lost, but I can't tell if they need assistance or if they're just "taking it all in". My question is, as a fursuiter, do you appreciate strangers asking if you need help? I don't want to be rude (especially if they are fine & they in fact do have a handler) but I have helped stranger furries in the past, so I guess I'm wondering if I should be more confident with asking? I really don't mind helping (in fact, I enjoy it ^_^).

Another 'question' I had was that She and I normally attend anime conventions, but next year we're planning on attending a furry convention. In your experiences, has there been much of a difference between the two? I imagine the furry con (Furry Weekend Atlanta is the one we'll be attending) would be easier on fursuiters, since the majority of attendees understand what it's like, right? And, while we won't be cosplaying (She'll be her own character (It's a partial) ), are mascots/ furry cosplays / quadsuits generally accepted amongst all fursuiters or is there a stigma against them? (I've heard rumors is all ^_^; ).

Thank you in advance!
1. Don't worry about asking if they need help. if you know what you're doing just trust your instincts and ask. If they say no, no biggy. Just don't go right up and touch or grab.
2. At furcons most costumes are treated similiarly. Quads get a bit more attention as they need more space and handling, and they are harder to make really. Cosplay goes over just fine so long as it is decent. The better quality the better reaction. Often famous fursuits or suits from famed makers get more attention, but it's still a positive reaction regardless most of the time.
There are those that like some things over others but it's not a majority at all. in general most stuff is accepted.

So, my conclusion, Tell me if I am right. If i ever get a fursuit, I should get used to it first (mabye just wear it around the house) then if I ever go outside I should get a friend to go with me when I am first starting out, Then, one I am used to everything I should be able to go without a handler (If i know the area which would probably be where I live) and always bring plenty of water and know a good place to take off the mask.

well mostly, except the last part. Even if you are very used to it, have a handler. You might know where you are and everything but there will still be people that want to come up and interact and a handler will always help with that.

Happy-Hoka

Very nice post! I'm a gonna soon be an owner of a partial fursuit, and this is very helpful to know the dos and don'ts since I'm a first-timer. Thank you!

nightwolf1974

as somefur that's getting started and getting ready for my first con next year.....I found this very informative.

tyciol

* Sex toys are for the bedroom. If you have a fucksuit/yiffsuit, whatever, to each their own, just keep bedroom toys in the bedroom. When you have fucked in a suit you have made it a sex toy, do not go out in public in it. It does not matter if you cleaned it, this is in poor taste. Shorts do not hide anything. You can put a bow on a dildo, but it is still a dildo. If you wear a fucksuit in public you will be blacklisted as a suiter. If you want to have fun in the bedroom, and suit in public, buy another suit.

* Stay Clean. When you get out of suit, take a light shower and spray your suit. Wash your suit occasionally (see suit maintenance threads). You will get sweaty in suit, you will smell after getting out of suit. Do your best to stay clean so you do not get sick, get others sick, ruin your suit, smell like a trash barge while attending con.

Does this first bullet apply to the entire suit or just the portion that was in motion?

Like for example, I heard the head pieces are expensive, but what if you used 1 headpiece with 2 different almost-identical body-suits?

Same concern if there are detachable paws or something. If they aren't actually involved in erotic acts then any sweat they might get wouldn't differ from normal sweat from walking around.

Someone with fucksuit B which looks almost the same as fansuit A (save for having holes) might lead to misunderstandings so do you figure they should be different enough to be easily discernable?