• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuiting with Exposed Skin: Public vs. Fandom Reactions

Would fursuiting with exposed skin be a problem in general?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

LunaGryph

In the past, I've seen vids and pics of fursuiters who have fursuited with skin showing, such as partialing while wearing short-sleeved clothing (a.k.a. poodling). On one hand, wearing a fullsuit or the weather itself can be hot (or whatever other problems they may have that prevents them from wearing a fullsuit), so they do that to accomodate for it. However, on the other, it runs into the risk of breaking the magic. Funnily, from what I've seen, those that have done it have gotten very little to no backlash for exposing their skin from the public, but in the fandom in the past, I've seen heavy backlash to those who do it, especially with the poodling issue that took place a few years back.
With all that said, I'm curious to see where people stand on this issue, such as whether if it still is a problem to this day.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, really. Do whatever

SirRob

I personally like the aesthetic. Whether it's okay or not probably depends on whatever group you're suiting with since I know some people would agree with the "breaking the magic" thing.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I'm not a fan of poodling, personally, and will photoshop my own fursuit pictures if my own skin or clothes are visible, because I want to preserve "the magic" as much as possible. That said, I would never offer a person unwelcome advice or, especially, criticize, shame, or harass them for the way they prefer to suit as long as nobody's getting hurt.

Punji

Daedric Prince of Secrets
Regardless of one's personal preferences, I don't think it could ever be called a problem to poodle in public.

I personally don't like it and probably wouldn't do it, but it's absolutely not an issue or problem at all, I think.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I was wondering what poodling was in another thread, lmao. I thought people were talking about dog grooming. But people should cosplay as they feel comfortable doing.

quoting_mungo

I know of one con that has explicit rules forbidding poodling, and it's honestly one of the most asinine policies I've seen at a con. Makes me want to design a poodle fursuit that's literally, like... a poodle show cut, as much as possible aside from the fur poofs being bare skin. (With skin-colored skintight bits where showing skin would be inappropriate e.g. crotch and female chests.) Just out of contrariness.

Troj

I know of one con that has explicit rules forbidding poodling, and it's honestly one of the most asinine policies I've seen at a con. Makes me want to design a poodle fursuit that's literally, like... a poodle show cut, as much as possible aside from the fur poofs being bare skin. (With skin-colored skintight bits where showing skin would be inappropriate e.g. crotch and female chests.) Just out of contrariness.

I've heard that, too, and I'm just left wondering how they enforce that, and if they have time to enforce anything else, given the high number of kids especially who poodle with impunity.

quoting_mungo

I've heard that, too, and I'm just left wondering how they enforce that, and if they have time to enforce anything else, given the high number of kids especially who poodle with impunity.
This particular con doesn’t take registrations from minors, but I’m still like… really? It’s just… nope. Put a bad taste in my mouth and if it weren’t so close to me I’d just not have gone at all, even though I’m not a suiter so it doesn’t really have any direct effect on me.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
The whole "Poodling" thing came about with kids buying a head and paws to go suiting at a con. Young, no real forethought, just GO!!

It's not that hard to buy a stretch lycra bodysuit in a complementing or matching color to go with a head and paws. Just mho.

Trevorbluesquirrel

A few years ago, I handled at a church event, and 1 suiter had bare arms between a T shirt and paws! I overheard a young child asking why they had no fur there, and another handler explained it as ''It's a skin condition!'' ; <

When you`re suiting on your own, anything goes!

However, when U volunteer, they may have rules about the kind of suits allowed!

4 instance, I heard that at a Zoo Event, they wanted suiters of Canuck critters, in their natural colors, presumably not 2 confuse the kids! So, no pink dragons & stuff! : (

And like Disney Mascots, removing your head in view of children is forbidden! They`re quite traumatizable, I`ve heard! ; )

It`s not something I`d wanna do, but it`s fine, long as it`s not in violation of any guidelines!

Troj

What's interesting is that the worst reaction I've ever gotten for de-heading was from an adult who looked genuinely sad about the magic being broken. When kids have caught me headless, they've usually been curious, mystified, relieved, or smug.