• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuits and Hearing Impairment

Legbascrossroad

Wondering if any fursuiters could give me some advice-
I really want to eventually get a suit made of my Dutch Angel Dragon, Loa, and my partner is really good at sewing and various craftwork and offered to make me a head to get started with. Can anyone give feedback on how much having a head on muffles your hearing? I'm hard-of-hearing and often have to rely on lipreading depending on the situation, and I'm concerned that wearing a head might eliminate my hearing completely. Alternately, does anyone who's built a head have any ideas about perhaps wiring up a microphone into the nose or mouth with earbuds running inside to act as hearing aids?

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
It reduces sound by about 40% to 50% in my experience. I do know fursuiters that are completely deaf, however, and they do fine. If you are worried about it, use a handler until you get used to wearing your suit. Good luck.:)

Legbascrossroad

65% hearing is enough to leave me mostly deaf. A headcold makes it nearly impossible to talk on the phone or follow a multi-person conversation, so that level of muffling will need a solution. Someone on another forum suggested cutting away as much foam as possible around my ears and having just a fur layer there.

Faexie

Rara for short :)
I'm not hard of hearing myself, I actually hear too well, but I'm experimenting with putting hearing holes in my first suit. Basically I've put holes in the head base where my human ears are, and I will cover them with mesh to preserve the shape.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
I think I would +1 on Ramona Rat's suggestion. Being hard of hearing myself, I can relate to this issue. I actually find myself lip-reading at times and it drives me bonkers when my doctor speaks so quietly, then turns his head while in the middle of a conversation. At that point, it's no idea what he's saying. Still trying to get the VA to provide hearing aids. F4-D Phantom II aircraft, Dash-60 motor/generators (GPU) and hearing don't mix.

Other than generic hearing aids, I'm not sure what else you could do.

KiokuChan

4-tailed kitsune
I do second the notion of having a handler to help you out if you are able. I also know of a really amazing fully death suiter who always does really well in suit, but I'm sure that's different because he's used to having no hearing. I think having someone to help out and make you feel safe would be important.