• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuits vs ears/tail, terminology.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I think this belongs here, but if wrong, sorry. <bush>

I'm a furry who loves to wear my ears and tail and fangs. But I don't wear a fursuit...nothing against them at all of course, just preference and being "me". <giggle>

BUT, when I tell people I am a "furry" (which I totally am in every way aside from literal fursuit), they instantly ask/assume I'm wearing the full fursuit or have one at home or wear one around. Always, to them furry = head to toe fursona and nothing else. Minor pet peeve to explain often that no...I don't have a full bodysuit and head, the tail and ears and fangs are the suit effectively, as that's me!

So I'm confused...is there a term I'm unaware of for "non-fursuitted furry" or "minimal accessorized furry" or something more clear to others?

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
People assume furries are all suiters due to how the media displays them.
There's no terminology, as far as I'm aware, that differentiates between the two.

If someone makes that correlation, just kindly correct them.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
As someone who enjoys alternative fashion, I wear things like fangs/claws/ears/tails/etc. without the slightest thought of it being considered "Furry" based. These kinds of accessories are often more associated with alternative fashion, so it's not as easily associated with the Furry community, but there's no shame in using them for that kind of expression if that's what makes you happy. I think getting some Furry merch to go along with it (pins, a shirt, etc.) would help sell that "LOOK AT ME I'M A FURRY" vibe better than the more subtle things due to overlap of trends.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
As someone who enjoys alternative fashion, I wear things like fangs/claws/ears/tails/etc. without the slightest thought of it being considered "Furry" based. These kinds of accessories are often more associated with alternative fashion, so it's not as easily associated with the Furry community, but there's no shame in using them for that kind of expression if that's what makes you happy. I think getting some Furry merch to go along with it (pins, a shirt, etc.) would help sell that "LOOK AT ME I'M A FURRY" vibe better than the more subtle things due to overlap of trends.

To me it's both though, I love the art, the culture, the antromorphic takes, and even the fursuits though I don't personally wear one. (they're so huggable, like I have to tell YOU all? LOL) Still that does explain things a bit...I need a t-shirt that's more clear. <giggle >

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
To me it's both though, I love the art, the culture, the antromorphic takes, and even the fursuits though I don't personally wear one. (they're so huggable, like I have to tell YOU all? LOL) Still that does explain things a bit...I need a t-shirt that's more clear. <giggle >

The more clear the gear, the more likely the furry association will stick.
Assuming that's your goal. :p

Side note: Your icon is awesome.

Stray Cat Terry

고먐미
Guess I wasn't the only one with ears and tails only! But I also have a hoodie that represents a cat(so I have two, or three, pairs of ears when I put em all on lol).

And further, when I put on my collar with bell on.... Yeah, people in my area would most likely assume it's some sort of kinks rather than furry, or even animal-human. (Nekos, as Raever said)

Since that, I have never considered this type of dress-up a furry. But I... I'm me! So yeah.

In summary(my opinion): This ain't furry, but there's nothing wrong on dressing up as you want!

And thankies for the opportunity. I could hear how others think on this sort of dress-ups thanks to you making the thread :3

Aura330

At least from my experience at a high school where sometimes we’d see someone wearing a tail or ears, the immediate assumption was that they were a furry, which was often a source of bullying because many people do not accept furries sadly, especially at a high school. However, I don’t think this quite applies to your situation since the atmosphere is completely different outside a high school with a bunch of Gen Z teenagers who grew up hearing negative things about furries. More adult spaces probably would not react in this way, but I just thought I’d share my experience because it was quite the opposite of what you were explaining.