• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Fursuits

greg-the-fox

Is it weird that I'm a furry, yet fursuits freak me out? Any kind of costume or mask where I can't see the person's face. Even when I was little, I didn't go near people in mascot costumes at amusement parks, while all the other kids were hugging them, I was thinking about the person inside. (Is that a sign of intellegence?) I always try too look through the mask and see their eyes. I guess it's a trust thing. If it was someone I knew in there, I guess I'd feel comfortable... Also, Internets. I don't really trust people on them either. <.< >.> On another note, I've always wanted to wear something like that...

That sort of fear is actually surprisingly common. I used to work at a major theme park and witnessed small children screaming in terror from some of the mascots, and even some adults shrinking back at the sight of a seven-foot-tall Scooby Doo advancing with arms open for a hug.

I'm no psychiatrist, but I have heard it does have to do with trust issues. I personally don't mind folks in costume (I'm an avid cosplayer and have had my face hidden on many occasions, and mingled with those that have done the same), but I understand it very much bothers some people, and understandably so. There is something inherently disturbing about someone approaching you, and you cannot tell friend from foe in that situation. Perhaps it's something ingrained into our DNA, and other people simply experience the urge to get away from that force more than others? Who knows.

greg-the-fox

ChibiJaime said:
That sort of fear is actually surprisingly common. I used to work at a major theme park and witnessed small children screaming in terror from some of the mascots, and even some adults shrinking back at the sight of a seven-foot-tall Scooby Doo advancing with arms open for a hug.

I'm no psychiatrist, but I have heard it does have to do with trust issues. I personally don't mind folks in costume (I'm an avid cosplayer and have had my face hidden on many occasions, and mingled with those that have done the same), but I understand it very much bothers some people, and understandably so. There is something inherently disturbing about someone approaching you, and you cannot tell friend from foe in that situation. Perhaps it's something ingrained into our DNA, and other people simply experience the urge to get away from that force more than others? Who knows.

That makes a lot of sense to me, seeing as I've studied Psychology. I probably do have trust issues, that's probably why I've never been in a relationship. :roll:

Magica

Fatty Furfag Weeaboo
ChibiJaime said:

This particular part suddenly reminds me of this.

I didn't have a problem with the theme park mascots, even though I was already an adult when I finally went to Disneyworld. As for fursuits, I suppose it depends on whether it's cool looking or I've heard of the person before. Never see myself wearing one, though. XD

webkilla

Furry, brony, anon - for lulz
ya - i LARP a lot... if you know what that means - dressing up like IRL D&D or lord of the rings, then duking it out RL... its all good fun, but i can tell you this:

masked men.... hehe - even the sound of that "masked men", it has an inherintly negative feel to it.

people like it when you can see a persons face, see how they feel - when you're wearing a mask, or something that covers you completely, then part of the identification hints that people subconciously register just arent there, which makes you feel more insecure about that person

example - which of the two images linked below is more 'scary' ?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o194/alemly/chaos2.jpg - with helmet on...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o194/alemly/Neoarmorphoto.jpg - no helmet on...

ok, posture and what i'm holding does have an effect - but think about what people most often key in on when looking at pictures: eyes and the face... if the eyes are obscured, hidden, or enclosed behind things like dark glasses... even a pair of glasses 'mask' you to a certain extent, why do you think black suits with black shades look so menacing, as opposed to an ordinary businessman wearing the same suit, but no shades?

S

Starburst

Yeah uhm...Fursuits just creep me out o.o

It has to do with the fact that they should be animated more than they are. I wouldn't be so creeped out by them if they had y'know...eyes that blinked or moving mouths and such. But hey, what can you do with foam and fake fur?

kitetsu

pissy esoteric
Fursuits that are grossly disproportionate and overly cartoony-looking turn me off, and makes me stop taking them seriously. Everytime i see a photo of them, the ones with bobble-heads and really saggy bodyparts, i always think "cute, but really, that's just not cool". I'm sorry if this offends other people, but i just don't find those kinds of fursuits cool at all.

However, there are some exceptions for me. There's a geocities.jp site that had pictures of kigurumi they made, and it actually looks nice, even though they're all naked. If only i remembered which site it was...

I understand if it's virtually impossible right now to afford a full-body fursuit that's anything but the things i've mentioned above, but if it's according to what many people want with their ideal fursuits... Then i'm at a complete loss.

If i see a fully-modified suit that looks like the photo below, then MAYBE i will take it seriously and go DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN dawg.

kitetsu

pissy esoteric
greg-the-fox said:
HOLY CRAP that looks REAL!!! Are you SURE that's not a photoshop?

I'm sure it'll take 10 years to shop fur that real.

EDIT: Ah, i found the Kigurumi website. http://www.geocities.jp/howl666beast/Photograph/gy.htm

Angrhiel

I think it's normal... lotsa furries find fursuits strange :B

I remember the time when we went to a kid's party at jollibee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jollibee
That guy scared the shits outta me â—• â—¡ â—•
It was a mixture of fear and feeling embarassed for the guy :<

And Dang... That fursuit, It looks so uncartoony and cool :eek:
But I still wouldn't wear it...
or would I?

kitetsu

pissy esoteric
I won't hesitate to stuff it with stuff that emulates muscle and dress it in a mafia suit. Then i'll get someone to snap photos of me, in that suit, with an emptied tommy gun.