• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Gamer's Block

Distorted

Well, y'know how writer's and artist's get that horrid feeling when nothing comes to them? Well, I have that right now, except in a gamer sort of way. I have a ton of games, yet have no idea what to play. And even when I do find that one game I wind up stopping 15 minutes later due to it not feeling right. I'm playing minecraft now even. MINECRAFT! I said I would never play it but apparently that wasn't true. It's just something to play other than what I usually roll. I just want a nice fresh rpg that doesn't feel like something I've already done. Or something....

I've no clue what to do with myself right now. How do you cure yourself of such a crummy feel?

Last edited:

SirRob

You don't, you hang on to that feeling for as long as you can and do more constructive things with your time!

Stratelier

You don't need a "new" game so much as you need inspiration to play; just like if you have artist's block, going out and buying new pencils (or a drawing pad) won't automatically give you inspiration either.

Distorted

You don't, you hang on to that feeling for as long as you can and do more constructive things with your time!

I cleaned a little hoping I could make up my mind, but it didn't help. I ran out of things to do so I came back to my games with no idea what to play. xp

Kangamutt

When I get like this I usually crack open my pick-up game library. Games that are easy to play from a cold start (super simple controls, no involving stories or tutoral levels), and can be turned off without feeling any remorse for not saving (if available). Helps get the mood to play bigger games for me, or I just end up trying to speedrun whatever I'm playing.

SirRob

I cleaned a little hoping I could make up my mind, but it didn't help. I ran out of things to do so I came back to my games with no idea what to play. xp
There's always something you can be doing! Like... learning more about your field of study! I'm totally not being a hypocrite by saying this.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
Not sure how a creative block is the same thing as an entertainment block.

To fight the muse is not the same thing as fighting boredom :\

dogit

That derp from faf
It may just be that you need a brake from games, I have been in the same place. Just leave it for a week or something then come back.

RedLeFrench

Writer extraordinaire
I kinda am in the same situation right now, except one of the reasons I can't enjoy the games I own come from the fact I play a lot for job purposes. The really bad side of it is that now I analyze everything instead of just enjoying the damn game. The good side is that I learn stuff by analyzing it, which should come in handy the day I decide to make my own lil game :D

RedDagger

As others have said, just don't play games for a week or so, until you want to play them again - meanwhile, go do other things. Don't have any hobbies you've gotten into? Learn one! Not finding anything interesting? Look around for things that might interest you! Feeling apathetic and don't feel like putting time into anything? Go for a walk! Go down that pathway you pass every day but never go down, or take a stroll by the river. Ain't nothing wrong with walking!

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
I get this too.
Except, when I start playing one of them I don't get bored 15 minutes later. If I decide to play it, then I will play it.

I have had that same thing happen to me, and it is why I am doing what I am doing now which is reading a bunch of RPG books and making my own game so to speak!