• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Games that hate you.

T

Tycho

I'm talking about the games that don't challenge you so much as make you miserable. They beat you to death and shit on your corpse. They don't just make you rage, they make you cry and uninstall.

Example: Ultima Online. Very few games are so tailored to masochists as this one.

Anyone have horror stories to share?

Icen

Poisonous Plant Woman
I think that in Left 4 Dead, the Tank just automatically always goes after Zoey. And all the other monsters to.

MY UNDENIABLE PROOF (note the sarcasm):
-The Tank ALWAYS runs after me for some reason unless I am super far away. (Note that I am always Zoey.)
-The Smokers/Hunters always pounce/tongue ME out of my group. (Though I mean, yeah, I do always am the leader of the group.)
-Boomers love to puke on me. D:

No, but for cereal (yes, cereal) about the Tank thing. Even when I've been Francis or Bill (on those rare, rare times when my friend Blue is Zoey) the Tank still goes after Zoey. D: Wtf

People in Blue's classes (she is taking game design at the Art Institute so yeah, lots of gamers) even talk about how the Tank goes after Zoey all the damn time.

Coincidence? Or retardedess?

Holsety

Space Empires IV is pretty ridiculous with how quickly the AI advances tech levels and how they ALWAYS have superior ships, maybe I just suck though... And somehow whenever I use exactly what they have in the exact same way, they still win...

Fire Emblem 5 is also ridiculous, the game mechanics are so incredibly broken that situations like this (if you can't tell whats happening, half my army got captured in less than 7 turns) are extremely common.
-Fatigue ensures that your standing army will always be screwed up at a certain chapter due to not being able to use half of them.
-You are forced to steal almost all your weaponry from enemies and enemies rarely carry reasonably usable weaponry (AKA Iron)
-Magic users can never have top speed because magic tomes aren't affected by strength like normal weaponry
-Leaf sucks.
-The worst part however, are status staves/weapons. They have guaranteed hit if the enemy's magic is higher than yours (true for any physical unit) and the status never goes away. So if you get poisoned you're stuck that way for the rest of the mission, if you're asleep you're never waking up, if you've been hit by a berserk staff... You'll end up restarting because Restores staves are too few to waste on anything but the final two chapters.
Edit- Oh yes, and Chapter 22. The combination of Reinhart and Cyas, with his huge boosts to enemy hit and avoid, make this the most bullshit chapter ever as its almost impossible to dodge AND hit (for an example, see the 175 and 79 numbers in that picture, which are his hit and dodge respectively.

tl;dr the entire thing is setup against you.

Last edited:

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
Team Fortress 2 really hates me. I find random servers to find it's full of drunks and cock-measurers.

T

Tycho

Team Fortress 2 really hates me. I find random servers to find it's full of drunks and cock-measurers.

Considering the fact that drunks and cock-measurers form the majority of the player base on these kinds of games, I would say you'd be lucky to find a decent server at all.

My experiences with the UO hate machine as of late:

Pop through the Britain(Trammel) moongate, and within no more than a screen's distance stumble into a forest dragon. Dead in 2 hits. I locate a healer, get a res (I lose a lot of fame! Oh yay!) and start to head back to the body. Dragon is sitting right on my goddamn body. I try kiting him off of my body and he simply blasts me with his breath weapon. Dead. And he's STILL sitting on my body. I sit and wait. Maybe he'll move on before my gear disappears.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Nope, there goes my gear. This is why you better be richer than GOD in UO, so you can insure your stuff 24/7. Some of us unlucky sods don't have much money (yet).

This game LOVES to shit on you at every possible turn. It's almost pointless to have decent gear, because when the money in your bankbox inevitably runs out and your insurance disappears, you're likely screwed out of that wonderful set of valorite plate mail. And no point in counting on other people. Even in Trammel they're constantly finding ways to grief you. And there are LOTS of griefers. And when they get to know your name they will make a point of tracking you down whenever you're on Felucca. Bye bye money. Bye bye gear. Bye bye fame.

Zaiden

Pizza Time
The only one I can really think of is Godhand.

Master the way of the right analog stick or get your ass handed to you.

Nocturnowl357

The nocturnal gaming furry
Freaking MGO hates me with a red hot vengeance. Every time I try and log on, it kicks me out. If im in a match then everyone wants my ass on a plater, If i go to log on after a long period of time it changes the fucking rules to stop me from getting in.

And once late at night I can hear it trying to kill my ps3...somehow, someway...

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
CounterStrike: Source.
"OH WHAT THE CRAP MY GUN IS INNACURATE GARBAGE EVEN THOUGH I'M STANDING STILL AND ZOOMED IN- FFFFFFFF, I JUST GOT SHOT IN THE GODDAMN HEAD BY SOME CT WITH A PISTOL SCREW THIS."

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
stop using the para

My friends have tried to *teach* me to play the game; They're all fantastic at it. They told me what guns to use and everything, but the way it plays isn't compatible with me at all. There's almost no way to move out of fire when you're in it because being shot slows you down so much that you may as well just stand still and take the beating, and even the "good" guns are inaccurate as fuck.
I'm a crackshot everywhere else, too. Unreal Tournament, Call Of Duty, everywhere.

Holsety

The guns are perfectly fine as long as you're not sitting there with your finger on the mouse firing an entire clip in 4 seconds while running around. Stop moving around so much and use 3-4 round bursts and the guns are fine, the only truly inaccurate guns are the shotguns and the para <_<

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
The guns are perfectly fine as long as you're not sitting there with your finger on the mouse firing an entire clip in 4 seconds while running around. Stop moving around so much and use 3-4 round bursts and the guns are fine, the only truly inaccurate guns are the shotguns and the para <_<

This is nothing I haven't been told countless times already.

Stratelier

The NES version of Ninja Gaiden 1 comes to mind. When you die, you re-start from the last checkpoint (or, after a Game Over, beginning of the level). Straightforward enough, right?

- Except there's no checkpoint before each boss.
- And if you die against the boss of world 5, you get sent back to the beginning of the level (5-3) instead of the last checkpoint.
- And if you die against any of the game's final 3 bosses (which are back-to-back battles, btw), you get sent back to the beginning of the world (level 6-1) instead of the level (6-3).
- And do I even have to mention how ridiculously difficult the levels in world 6 are?

Now that's obviously one game I couldn't beat in its original form. Emulator and save states, please!

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
This is nothing I haven't been told countless times already.
Protip:
Don't suck ;D

Nah, but seriously, it's not too hard to play CSS, even against 'Pros' it's easy to get 'lucky' shots in.

Bambi

Star Wars Galaxies -- ... it's boring again.

I get up to 45, realize the mull here and there isn't even worth it, stop playing ...

Corto

A tip for CS: Source: Never crouch. Apparently there is (or was) a hitbox problem that would make hitting crouching targets in the head much, much easier than it should be.

For me it would be Sands of Time. Everyone speaks gold of this game, even that angry british fellow, Yahtzee, seems to love it, but I can't get past the first tutorial level. The last puzzle is one where you must jump from wall to wall until you reach the top. For some reason the prince refuses to follow the commands I give him and after one or two jumps he always falls down. I've spent day on that puzzle. I've had this game for over a year and I still. Can't. Pass. The. Fucking. Tutorial.

Fuck you, Prince of Persia.

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
Protip:
Don't suck ;D

Nah, but seriously, it's not too hard to play CSS, even against 'Pros' it's easy to get 'lucky' shots in.

Sort of guessed that by the fact that so many people play it and are good at it; It just seems to specifically hate me. I actually tried not sucking at it for several months.(I don't get new games much)

Holsety

Star Wars Galaxies -- ... it's boring again.

I get up to 45, realize the mull here and there isn't even worth it, stop playing ...

It used to be fun, but then they did the revamp from the original design to the bullshit it is now and RUINED it. also they made jedis a playable class, jedis ruined shit too

@Ro4dk1ll: use the Clarion/Famas and its burst fire mode, helps immensely

Zaiden

Pizza Time
For me it would be Sands of Time. Everyone speaks gold of this game, even that angry british fellow, Yahtzee, seems to love it, but I can't get past the first tutorial level. The last puzzle is one where you must jump from wall to wall until you reach the top. For some reason the prince refuses to follow the commands I give him and after one or two jumps he always falls down. I've spent day on that puzzle. I've had this game for over a year and I still. Can't. Pass. The. Fucking. Tutorial.

Fuck you, Prince of Persia.

Oh man, your going to hate near the end of the game sooooooooooooo much.

Kero

can't stop playing Puyo Puyo 7
Mega Man 9 for any newest-generation console.

The stages are so hard for a reason: the ability to buy items with the screws you find. I never miss a screw, but I still can't afford many items. A few energy tanks get me through any level.

However, when it comes to Wily's fortress, you, uh... yeah, you get one opportunity to buy items. If you decide you need another energy tank or something at, say, stage 3, you have to take a game over, get the items, and then start at stage 1. If you continue when you get a game over, you can start at the beginning of that stage, but if you have no items, why bother? Saving makes it so you can come back and start at stage 1.

I'm on the final stage, and I realistically need about one or two energy tanks. But I don't have any. I can keep getting game overs and retrying, but without items, this game is unnecessarily hard. You have to be a total Mega Man ace to beat the shit out of these levels.

Even at the beginning, when you can choose one of the eight bosses, I tried each out, dying, dying, dying. There are some hard jumps to make in every level, equipped with a few enemies and sub-bosses that are specifically there to give you a hard time. Ironically enough, these annoying enemies and couple sub-bosses come back in Wily's fortress to haunt you. Fortunately, I can press that fire button pretty quickly.

This game hates me, but I love it. The music is great and the gameplay is classic. I'm glad Capcom retraced their roots and made this game. It takes a lot of balls to go back to the days of 8-bit gaming when we have these realistic games where people get their heads blown off with extreme gore.

Stratelier

Megaman 9 is all about practice, practice, practice. I earned "No Coffee Break" (i.e. using zero energy/mystery tanks) and "Trusty Sidearm" (defeat all Robot Masters with just the Mega Buster) on my first playthrough.

Still, those four-square gaps are a bit ridiculous... one or two pixels off and you miss the jump. I swear, none of the NES Megaman games ever made you do jumps like that.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
You have to be a total Mega Man ace to beat the shit out of these levels.
I must be an ace, then. I got through them all on my second try. Dr. Wily is a bitch and a half to beat, though. Oh, oops: spoiler alert, it's really Dr. Wily. Because I'm sure no one who played this game guessed that right away.

Still, those four-square gaps are a bit ridiculous... one or two pixels off and you miss the jump. I swear, none of the NES Megaman games ever made you do jumps like that.
Oh that's not true. Offhand, I know there's a jump or two like that in Bright Man's stage from Megaman 4. Still, why don't you just use Rush Coil or Rush Jet if you can't make it? You have all these gadgets; you ought to be using them. Or even Concrete Shot, actually.

Anyway, on topic: game that beats the shit out of you (which I've mentioned before in other threads of this nature): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Slip_(SNES). Essentially, if you can get past level 2 without losing half of your lives, you're a hero. I mean, the levels when you're just running around shooting aren't so bad (though they have their moments.. like having to dodge rains of meteors while climbing a series of ladders and getting shot at by sniper aliens), but whenever you have to do these hover bike type missions... my gods. Essentially, think 'mosquito swarm', but the mosquitoes have guns and bombs and take several dozen shots to take down. Also, in order to beat the final boss, you MUST have the highest level of weaponry, which you lose if you lose a life. Otherwise you're stuck with this wimpy little machine gun thing, so that if you do make it to the final boss (unlikely with that thing), it takes you about 75 minutes of continuous shooting to kill it. Meanwhile, BARRAGE OF CANNONBALLS EVERY THREE MINUTES.
It's just... I don't think you can beat it if you don't cheat somehow.

Skittle

Banned
Banned
Zoids Battle Legends. Either by Mission 2 on both Imperial and Republic shit gets REALLY HARD. Or I just BLOW as a zoid pilot.

Skittle

Banned
Banned
You just blow as a Zoids pilot X3. Wait till you get to the last few stages of the Republic. Those levels are a bitch
I can't even beat Battle Mode 1. Dear lordy. What is wrong with me?

Could be my tiny hands on that huge GC controller. Or I just blow...