• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Games that you can play for 30-60 minutes and then easily put away

I'm currently looking to limit the time I spend with videogames each day, and I noticed that it's a lot easier with games where you can do one match/level/run and then put it away. Mainly looking for singleplayer games, because in pvp games it's always hard to stop after a match that went horribly.

Games of that kind that I already know are rogue-likes such as Spelunky, Enter the Gungeon, Binding of Isaac, Death Road to Canada and also platformers that are strictly separated into levels, like the Rayman games and Shovel Knight. If any of you know more of these kinda games, I'd love to hear about them.

The_biscuits_532

Sneaky rainforest kitty
I actually never played any of the Doom titles, but I always heard how good they were and how groundbreaking the first one was, so that also sounds like a solid choice, thanks!
My only advice is save at the start of every mission because there's no autosave. Otherwise they're pretty chill and easy, compared to the modern titles.

The exception is Doom 3. I've heard it's actually the easiest in the series but it's completely different from everything else in the series.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I'm currently looking to limit the time I spend with videogames each day, and I noticed that it's a lot easier with games where you can do one match/level/run and then put it away. Mainly looking for singleplayer games, because in pvp games it's always hard to stop after a match that went horribly.

Games of that kind that I already know are rogue-likes such as Spelunky, Enter the Gungeon, Binding of Isaac, Death Road to Canada and also platformers that are strictly separated into levels, like the Rayman games and Shovel Knight. If any of you know more of these kinda games, I'd love to hear about them.

A good round of Battletech, maybe a PvCPU fighting game like DOA or Tekken or Mortal Kombat, maybe a racing game...pretty much anything that's short round as opposed to a story I'd think should do what you need?

People kind of forget that most games are SUPPOSED to be like that. You play for fun, not as a second job. If the game is the type you CAN'T just put it aside and treat it like a temporary diversion, then it's moved from a fun passtime hobby to an obligation, and nothing kills the fun quicker than that! Ask any RPer! LOL

A good round of Battletech, maybe a PvCPU fighting game like DOA or Tekken or Mortal Kombat, maybe a racing game...pretty much anything that's short round as opposed to a story I'd think should do what you need?

People kind of forget that most games are SUPPOSED to be like that. You play for fun, not as a second job. If the game is the type you CAN'T just put it aside and treat it like a temporary diversion, then it's moved from a fun passtime hobby to an obligation, and nothing kills the fun quicker than that! Ask any RPer! LOL

Unfortunately, neither strategy games nor beat'em'ups are my thing, multi-tasking is a bit of a weak spot of mine and I always felt like fighting games make the inputs artificially difficult for no reason other than having a 'difficulty curve'. But I can relate to the "RPs as an obligation" kinda thing, a lot of times I felt like I am just keeping the RP alive because my partner seems to enjoy it.

Ratt Carry

Pretty much any arcade game like Natsuki Chronicles or Devil Engine.

If you're looking for rogues, get Monolith.

ben909

vaporeon
not sure, but i have thought this myself a lot

Ratt Carry

Some others I've enjoyed.
Eschatos, Blue Revolver, Cyber Shadow (this can be beaten completely in like 5 hours), Spark the Electric Jester 2, and Rivals of Aether.
GunFire Reborn is the only other rogue I'd ever recommend besides Monolith (and Risk of Rain 2, but this one takes me like 40 minutes minimum just to finish a run and you can't save).

Some others I've enjoyed.
Eschatos, Blue Revolver, Cyber Shadow (this can be beaten completely in like 5 hours), Spark the Electric Jester 2, and Rivals of Aether.
GunFire Reborn is the only other rogue I'd ever recommend besides Monolith (and Risk of Rain 2, but this one takes me like 40 minutes minimum just to finish a run and you can't save).

Ah yes, Risk of Rain 2, that game I really wanna be good at but can't for the life of me seem to finish a run. Rivals of Aether I know mainly because of its OST, because I think the guy who does the music for that one is the same who did the music for Tower of Heaven, really talented chiptunes artist.

Ratt Carry

Ah yes, Risk of Rain 2, that game I really wanna be good at but can't for the life of me seem to finish a run. Rivals of Aether I know mainly because of its OST, because I think the guy who does the music for that one is the same who did the music for Tower of Heaven, really talented chiptunes artist.
Tower of Heaven has a stage in the game. Rivals is my favorite fighter honestly. Extraordinarily well crafted balanced game. Sitting at Overwhelmingly Positive for a reason.

Sven Solitude

I always liked GoldenEye 007 for the Nintendo 64 for this reason. :) The Nintendo Switch is great for this in general, because you can press the power button at any time to activate the stand-by mode. You can turn on the console whenever you want and continue, no loading times. The Nintendo 3DS family is the same, just close the console and continue whenever you want. Works with basically all games!

DemonHazardDeer

Niche Game Connoisseur
Plenty of rogue-lites/lites like you and others have listed, some of my personal favs I didn’t see listed: Dicey Dungeons, Hades, Dead Cells, Going Under, Downwell and Ring of Pain are all amazing! I also saw your response about not really liking fighting games and just wanted to mention Pocket Rumble, a great little indie fighter that has depth but is made to be easy to learn! All the specials use one very simple input and each character plays differently! Just a suggestion to maybe look into if you feel like it ^w^

The-Courier

Dreamer of Cheese
Halo: Reach firefight. Pretty good to kill some time while you're waiting for something.

Stratelier

Ironically, the Monster Hunter games actually fit the description of something you can play in short bursts of 30 minutes at a time... the game always saves after a hunt and there is little to no meaningful progress to be made exclusively in the village hub (it's where you spend your downtime between hunts, managing items and gear and whatnot)

I still play MH4U (and MH3U) on my 3DS for this reason: 20-30 minutes during my lunch break is usually enough to hunt one monster, get the rewards, and save progress. I might have to put a longer hunt on hold until I get home, but that's an exception, not the rule.

Glenda221

Imposter Smashers (I play it here). It is interesting and I play it now and then, but I can easily put it away when needed. This is a good choice when I'm waiting for something or somebody. And it is convenient that it's possible to play it online and offline.
By the way, limiting the time you spend on video games is a wise idea. Good luck!

Last edited: