• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Games that you played way too much, dropped, and have now come back to?

anonfoxer

trans girl, arctic fox, dingus.
Im curious because this is currently happening to me with StarCraft 2. I played for years, got good, realized my life was wasting away, put it down, and now have been slowly playing it a little more. and a little more. have any of you done this? i want to find new games to dump time into.

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
For me it was Maplestory, Lost Saga, Fortnite and Smite come to mind

Maplestory: I played everyday for 5 - 8 hours. I dropped it for a year and a half because I got constantly stalked and other games caught my interest... After that year and a half hiatus, I came back with a friend, and now that said friend quit... I still play it only I don't play it as often as I had in the past.

Lost Saga: Back when it was from OGPlanet, I played that everyday as well for like 1-3 hours a day. After it moved over to Wemade and out of OGPlanet, I lost interest in it for a bit. I quit for several seasons then returned when it moved again to Z8. I played it for about an hour a day then it closed down.

Fortnite: I played closed beta, and open beta. I was incredibly terrible at it. I played it for several hours a day before I quit for 2 years because I got tired of being dominated. I recently came back to it and I am having a much better time playing it. I am still bad at it but now it is more fun and I get more kills in than I did when I started.

Smite: Similar scenario to Fortnite... I started out in early open beta, played a lot of Nu Wa and Ra. I was bad at the game, and joined a bunch of modes. Over time, the toxicity of the fan base wore me out. I was legitimately afraid of being banned from Smite because I got constantly reported for loosing. I caved into that fear of being banned, I quit for 3 years. I quietly returned last year, and though I still loose like crazy, I also win a few times which brings my mood up a bit. I may quit again if I am bombarded by losses but that is under a "we'll see" moment. (=

That's pretty much what i do with almost every games: i sink whole afternoons playing them during weeks or maybe months and then i don't touch them for years, then i repeat the process.

The most recent example i can think of is the Legend of Zelda license. I did not spend much time playing them at all since a bit after Twilight Princess came out, like i only finished Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild once since then. But a few months ago, i don't know why but i felt the urge to play some Zelda games and i ended up doing a marrathon in a month where i finished (almost) all games of the license in a bit more than a month.

I did the exact same for Gear of War, Hitman and Resident Evil recently. Yes, you'd notice i'm kind of a solo player usually.

If we were to talk about smaller games and not full license, i started playing FTL: Faster than light again recently, i think i did not play it at all since 2013 or something, even though i loved it back then.

The only type of game i spent thousands of hours into but won't consider getting back into are mmorpgs. As much as i loved playing them a long while ago and as much as i kept good memories from those years, they ended up being too time consuming and i could not even find a bit of time to play something else.

Kinare

RAWR
Only two games come to mind that I've done that with: Skyrim and Warframe.

Skyrim tends to overwhelm me. I'll binge play it for like a week when I have nothing else to play, then I'll drop it because I end up with too many sidequests and no desire to do any of them. I've already beaten the main storyline, so I kinda just derp around and do whatever. It's a little exhausting figuring out the mods each time too, that alone can take a whole day or two. Because there's such a gap of time from when I last played there's been a lot of updates, deleted mods, newly added mods, etc.

Warframe... When it came out that's all I did for like 3-4 months. Then I dropped it for a few years because I got sick of the grind. Then I went back for another month or so before I got tired of the grind, then I tried again a couple months later when a friend told me they were releasing a frame I liked in prime, but I only played for like a week before being extremely annoyed with the grind again. It's just one of those extremely grind heavy games, but there's some redeeming qualities, so it sits there waiting for me to come back to it in another couple years maybe.

The_biscuits_532

Scary Ancient Wombat
2020 had a couple for me.

First was Half Life. Black Mesa finally got it's 1.0 release and I really wanted to explore Xen and it kinda spiralled into a playthrough of the whole series. I did MMod with 2 as well.

Second was Mass Effect. I adore the series but I'd gotten to a point I'd replayed it so much I knew it too well. I ended up heavily modding all four games and recording the gameplay for YouTube. I taught myself the basics of editing in the process. I can't wait for the remaster.

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin
Terraria...
That and minecraft...

———————-

Also machines at war3/lasw for me, 2 games i gave put a ton of time in over multiple years

TR273

Pirate Fox Mom
Freelancer!
I spent ages playing and exploring that universe. The graphics actually still hold up, the score is beautiful. The game is actually pretty well balanced, and once you complete the main story there is enough of a sandbox to hold my RP interest. The reasons I stopped playing were, the game can get very repetitive and the main character has all the appeal and interest of a house brick.
But I recently picked the game up again and am enjoying it.

Stray Cat Terry

고먐미
Destiny 2.
Shadowkeep DLC and the new patch on item power limit afterwards just made the game less enjoyable for me. But as if that's not enough, they removed half the free planets and introduced new Beyond Light DLC. I understand they did this for console gamers but anyways it freaking obliterated the reason I could spend my time and cash on the game anymore. ÚnÙ

I thought another videogame I dear was gone to Valhalla and would never return... Only until one day, a friend of mine gifted me the Beyond Light DLC and I could give it a try, and the moment was just right that I was struggling to find another videogame to spend my spare time on.

And oh dear... I love it! But I'd totally say no to potential newbies unless they got cash to burn. If so, definitely a yes! ÒwÓ

P.S. If you decided to burn cash on D2... Buy the season pass NOW, the season-limited dungeon reward weapon is totally a gamebreaker!

P.P.S. Don't.

StarCraft 2.
I just can't find any better game that I can mass produce a melee attacking unit and swarm them against enemies.... Yes, mass Hatchery, mass Zerglings, F2, A, profit!

Yeah.. I know I'm stupid... >w<☆

P.S. I love the lovely(I mean cool) Wraith unit from SC1 but the game won't allow me to select more than 12 units at once... And my paws are so dull and I'm too used to SC2 to return to SC1... Wish I could use the features of SC2 and the unit design of SC1...
I know SC2 has Wraith too but that just ain't right for me... Meh ×p×

Last edited:

Kyrick

RuneScape from 2003 to 2010

Mass Effect from 2008 to 2015.
I joined a multiplayer match on ME3 a few weeks back hearing that the multiplayer wasn't coming with the remaster. And... I totally sucked, forgot the keys and was kicked from nearly every party. There was a time I was top, maybe second of so many matches. I gotta get back into that again.​
Guild Wars 2 2013 to 2018

RuneScape 2018 - present...

Yeah, it's been a long road, but i'm back where I started haha

Looking forward to milking Halo again now it's on Steam!

Last edited:

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Minecraft's usually like this for me. Nowadays it's something of a game I use to distract my eyes when I listen to audiobooks.

Warframe may become this in a year or two, not sure.

Champions Online was like this for me once, but the roleplay side of things didn't work out for me after a while.

The game that's doing this for me now? The Binding of Isaac. It isn't just that the Repentance DLC adds so much, it's that I finally feel like I can play it right.

Stardew Valley. I played it when it came out after I got it through Kickstarter, burnt myself out on three separate farms, completed the community center in my first year with some lucky traveling merchant pulls and... by year three, after marriage and having a kid, found the rest of the game pretty lacking. I recently picked it up again with the new updates and.... wash rinse, repeat. xD In year three again, but I still have to get to the bottom of the desert dungeon, and much of Ginger Island and Qi's challenges are still incomplete so at least I have that to attempt for!

D

Deleted member 93706

Warframe. Skyrim. Planetside 2. Minecraft. Cabal Online. World of Warcraft. Dekaron. Firefall (rip...).

I don't play any of them anymore, but I would return to Firefall in a heartbeat if it hadn't been shut down in 2017.

Warframe. Skyrim. Planetside 2. Minecraft. Cabal Online. World of Warcraft. Dekaron. Firefall (rip...).

I don't play any of them anymore, but I would return to Firefall in a heartbeat if it hadn't been shut down in 2017.
I actually quite enjoyed Firefall. Played it and Rift when they were relatively new after WoW died for me. Such a shame it shut down.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Gothic 1-2

I play them since they were released. There was even point in time that I have finished every mod released at that time.

However it seems like I will not be able to play it again. With technological development, drivers give up on old stuff and I'm afraid that Steam version does not work without heavy (and I mean heavy) modding which even then rarely works :/

anonfoxer

trans girl, arctic fox, dingus.
Stardew Valley. I played it when it came out after I got it through Kickstarter, burnt myself out on three separate farms, completed the community center in my first year with some lucky traveling merchant pulls and... by year three, after marriage and having a kid, found the rest of the game pretty lacking. I recently picked it up again with the new updates and.... wash rinse, repeat. xD In year three again, but I still have to get to the bottom of the desert dungeon, and much of Ginger Island and Qi's challenges are still incomplete so at least I have that to attempt for!
ive got 500 somethin hours in that....i feel that pain so much lmfao

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
i once played ACID but the police made it illegal because they thought it was something to do with drugs.

they brought it back in 2018.

Erix

>‿‿◕
Ugh, I only have these childhood games that I keep coming back to cuz I was so invested in them before, they won’t leave! xD

sometimes go back to games like: Maplestory, Wizard101, Toontown, Dragon Nest, Combat Arms, Roblox, etc. Though I typically don’t stay around for long, at least not as long as when I was a kid. Recently jumped back into Toontown and it’s not that bad, might go in for a bit longer maybe. Thinking bout playing Maple again just for the lolz but will probably drop. Was playing League of Legends a lot a few months back and dropped it cuz of friend issues. Sometimes jump into Valorant just to play with my younger bro, but that’s it. Now that I mention it, might jump back into League soon. Hmmm...

Sam Akuchin Wamm

i suppose gran turismo.

after you've unlocked all the cars and done all the races including the ones that take several days there's really not much replay value.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
World of Warcraft always drags me back. (currently playing again)
Minecraft
Warframe
Skyrim
Kingdom Hearts
Far Cry 5
I've beaten it but I just enjoy it so much I go back until something new distracts me. It's my happy place. Is it weird that my happy place is in the country surrounded by an armed, religious fanatic cult?