• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Gaming Machine [Your PC Specs] -Updated-

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
This is mean, but this video card is several years old and not really good at playing most games nowadays. Enjoy not being able to upgrade. =3

Norspe

This is mean, but this video card is several years old and not really good at playing most games nowadays. Enjoy not being able to upgrade. =3

I don't need anything better than that at the moment, and I can upgrade easily if ever necessary. Don't know where you got your information from but whoever it was, they were wrong. Don't mean to insult you or anything, after all most people don't know much about Macs.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
I don't need anything better than that at the moment, and I can upgrade easily if ever necessary. Don't know where you got your information from but whoever it was, they were wrong. Don't mean to insult you or anything, after all most people don't know much about Macs.

I thought they were unable to be removed and thus unable to be upgraded at all.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
That was just with the earlier models for the iMacs, but not the Mac Pros. And even now the newer iMacs can be upgraded just be taking out a few screws.
Could you link me to exactly what models you're talking about? "Newer" isn't really accurate....

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
That was just with the earlier models for the iMacs, but not the Mac Pros. And even now the newer iMacs can be upgraded just be taking out a few screws.
Yeah, but they're unfortunately extremely limited on what you can upgrade them to. Video/graphics updates aren't exactly on their list.

Marticus

Brit-fur
AMD Athlon 64x2 1.8Ghz
4gb geil heatsinc'd RAM
21"Widescreen & HDTV
9800GTX+
2x 250Gb HDD
External 400Gb HDD
CoolerMaster Case (which works supprisingly well considering im using a 9800!)

Razer Lachesis 3G 4000dpi lazer
some anon subwoofer/speaker setup
senheisser headphones/ desktop mic
Kustom Amp to Line In for Guitar/XLmic input

Last edited:

Norspe

Could you link me to exactly what models you're talking about? "Newer" isn't really accurate....

Any of the aluminum models, from the last 2 generations, are what I'm talking about. And also I did some research about this yesterday, and determined that their were rumors stating it could be replaced. All the information I gave you before was just from those rumors, which were portrayed to me as facts by my dad actually. He usually knows his Mac stuff so I believed him but according to this site (http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/machine.php?name=imac-core-duo) Everything can be upgraded except the graphics card. It's a good thing I've proven myself wrong, cause now if I ever need to replace my graphics card, I know I will just need to get a new Computer. Thanks to everyone who contradicted me, causing me to discover the truth. :grin:

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Ah, in that case, you've essentially got an extremely expensive, relatively high-end run-of-the-mill PC. But since you said "iMac", I'll have to assume you've got the "Computer-in-a-Monitor" package, in which case, no, you can't upgrade your video.

Also, in an iMac, you can upgrade the optical drive (somewhat), the hard drive (somewhat; Only room for one), the processor (if you can dig it out), and the memory (barely; As I recall, there is one SO-DIMM slot accessible). You cannot upgrade the screen (unless you put the iMac on the floor or something), you cannot upgrade the video adapter, you cannot upgrade the motherboard, you cannot upgrade the power supply, you cannot upgrade the sound adapter, you can't upgrade the WiFi adapter, and you can't add anything PCI. This basically means that you've bought a computer that is guaranteed to be obsolete and/or a paperweight in a year or two, since the hardware can't be upgraded, thus requiring you to go purchase another one, much like Sony's designs.

I should also point out that the iMacs have always been bastards to take apart/put back together. That said, having worked on an aluminum iMac not long ago, its RAM expansion is rather easy to access. I'm rather certain that a CPU upgrade would probably require a "Mac Genius" to take the whole thing apart and put it back together, though, if you want it to look the same as it did before.

Last edited:

Norspe

Ah, in that case, you've essentially got an extremely expensive, relatively high-end run-of-the-mill PC. But since you said "iMac", I'll have to assume you've got the "Computer-in-a-Monitor" package, in which case, no, you can't upgrade your video.

Also, in an iMac, you can upgrade the optical drive (somewhat), the hard drive (somewhat; Only room for one), the processor (if you can dig it out), and the memory (barely; As I recall, there is one SO-DIMM slot accessible). You cannot upgrade the screen (unless you put the iMac on the floor or something), you cannot upgrade the video adapter, you cannot upgrade the motherboard, you cannot upgrade the power supply, you cannot upgrade the sound adapter, you can't upgrade the WiFi adapter, and you can't add anything PCI. This basically means that you've bought a computer that is guaranteed to be obsolete and/or a paperweight in a year or two, since the hardware can't be upgraded, thus requiring you to go purchase another one, much like Sony's designs.

I should also point out that the iMacs have always been bastards to take apart/put back together. That said, having worked on an aluminum iMac not long ago, its RAM expansion is rather easy to access. I'm rather certain that a CPU upgrade would probably require a "Mac Genius" to take the whole thing apart and put it back together, though, if you want it to look the same as it did before.

First of all, if I ever needed to replace all of that stuff it would cost me nearly $2000, then I could just buy a new computer for cheaper anyways.

Second, Anyone who does need to replace any of those either is not using the computer properly, the hardware is corrupt, or they are at the height of snobbery and think they need to have a perfect computer to show off to everyone.

Third, is mentioned in my previous post.

Fourth, a computer should NEVER go obsolete. No matter how old a computer gets, it can still be used for many different tasks.

Fifth, if you keep attempting to argue with me about this, you will be wasting your time as this will be my last contradiction toward you.

I admitted I was wrong about the graphics card. And if there is anything more you want from me, you will be required to apologize for implying that I know nothing about the subject, when I have had a Macintosh in my house since the day I was born.

Last edited:

LotsOfNothing

Banned
Banned
But you still use Boot Camp, rendering the "LOL I BAUGHT A MAC" mentality useless, as you could have just saved a few thousand dollars to get a windows PC anywho. FYI, they do all that a Mac can, plus games!

Norspe

But you still use Boot Camp, rendering the "LOL I BAUGHT A MAC" mentality useless, as you could have just saved a few thousand dollars to get a windows PC anywho. FYI, they do all that a Mac can, plus games!

If that were the case, would you not think that Microsoft stock would be higher than Apples?

Microsoft stock: http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:MSFT

Apple stock: http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

As this is just your first insult to me, I will forgive you instantly. However if you do so again, you too will not get a slight bit of sympathy from me until you apologize.

I would also like to point out that the only time I was effectively proven wrong on this thread, it was done by myself. So if anyone else would like to contradict me, you must give infallible proof or I will just ignore you.

LotsOfNothing

Banned
Banned
Too bad the majority of Apple's sales are in ipods, not macs. When you look into the profitability of a company, you have to look into all spectrums of what they sell. Yes, Microsoft has Windows, but Apple's got their mp3 players which greatly affect those numbers. Sure, Microsoft has the Zune, but the iPod was out a good few years or so before that. Another factor is hardware. Microsoft doesn't profit by forcing people to buy Windows-proprietory hardware, unlike apple, which then brings us to the sheep who actually bought a Mac. When a Mac breaks down, they can't just pop open the case and replace a necessary part. They have to take their machine to the nearest Mac Store and pay a hefty sum to have it serviced, plus the price of the parts, if you computer's no longer under warranty. And there are people dumb enough to do this (E.g. the idiots who go to Starbucks), and that just raises those stock numbers.

tl;dr lol, stock exchange

Now I'm going to bed, it's almost 3:30 in the morning. >:[

Last edited:

cheets25

I got two setups but use this one for gaming and stuff like that

Core i7 920
eVGA x58 mobo
gtx 295
Corsair Dominator 6gb ram
WD Black 300gb hdd
Dual 24inch monitors

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Case:
Antec Nine Hundred

Motherboard:
ASUSTeK P5K Premium wi/fi ap Blackpearl Edition
Network Card:
Killer Nic 2100
CPU:
Intel Q6600 G0 3.2 Ghz 8MB L2 Cache
Overclocked.
CPU Heatsink & Fan:
Coolermaster V8 120mm; applied Arctic Silver Thermal Grease
Optical:
LG GSA-H55N 20x SATA "Super Multi" DVD Burner
HDD:
->Seagate Barracuda 1500GB SATA II Drive 3.5" Nicknamed "Dragon"
->Western Digital 250GB SATA II Drive 3.5" Nicknamed "Phoenix"
->Seagate 120GB IDE External Enclosure 3.5" Nicknamed "Valhalla"
->Random 30GB IDE External 2.5" Nicknamed "Valkyr"
RAM:
2x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1068/PC2-8500 @ 5-5-5-18
VGA:
XFX Radeon HD 4890 XT 875MHZ 3.9GHZ 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E
PSU:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
Sound:
ASUSTeK HD Sound P5K Premium
Windows 7 RC Ultimate x64
Display:
Samsung SyncMaster 216BW on digital (1680x1050@60Hz, 3000:1 / 2ms)
Speakers:
Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones 5.1 surround sound with a built-in amplifier.
And a set of generic Logitech L&R
Mouse:
Logitech G9 Laser Gaming Mouse (drygrip chassis installed, 4x4gram weights in use)
Keyboard:
Logitech G15 Back-lit Gaming Keyboard
Flair/Mods:
->Mod Smart SATA Cable 18IN UV Blue (two of them)
->Mod Smart Zip Ties UV Blue 7 Inch (ten of them)
->Logisys Dual UV Cold Cathode Kit 12IN

Last edited:

ZentratheFox

You just lost the game.
MOAR NEW

Blackfox 2.0
Proc: AMD Phenom X4 940
Mobo: MSI K9A2 Platinum
RAM: 4x 2GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 (5-5-5-15)
Video: 2x ATi Radeon HD4850's in Crossfire (700/1050)
Monitor: 2x 22" Acer V223w LCD
Disks: 4x 500GB Seagate 7200.10 in RAID10, 1x 320GB Seagate FreeAgent
Optical : 2x LiteON DVD-RAM SATA w/ Lightscribe
PSU: Corsair VX550W
Audio: SB X-Fi XtremeMusic
Speakers: CyberAcoustics A-3780RB 2.1 180W
Case: Coolermaster CM590
Keyboard: Logitech G15v2
Mouse: Logitech MX518

Updates:
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Headphones: Sennheiser HD555

Sparticle

......................... .....
HD Radeon 4850
X4 Phenom 9950 2.6ghz oc 2.9ghz
3GB 1066
Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
ATI HDMI audio
250Gb storage
Dell 17" LCD 1280 1024 75HZ
Dell keyboard
logitech wireless mouse

ShardtheWolf

Raving Wolves FTW!
Re: Gaming Machine [Your PC Specs]

The two times I had to call Alienware support I had the single best service I've ever had in my life. Prompt, fast, accurate.

Totally! My alienware PC is a god! I've got that, the limited edition fatallity graphics card (3yrs old and still smashes on even new gforce or nvidia cards),an external hard drive (1tb) and 2 dell LCD 18" monitors so I can have whatever game I'm playing, and some other webpage open at the same time.

Family guy(hulu) + TF2 = win (though you'll end up win a 1:10 k/d ratio :3 )

Koray

Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
Nvidia GT9600 x2 (512MBx2) + SLi Technology
Realtech HD
4GB RAM DDR2 1066Mhz
1TB WD + 500Gb x2 WD + 500Gb Seagate HDD
ViewSonic 20"
Logitech Mouse, Keyboard
Logitech Speakers 5.1

Darkwing

Acer Extensa 5430-5805
Battery
Power Cord
Power Adapter
Recovery Utility Is Preinstalled On Laptop

WARRANTY

30 Days Replacement Warranty from 4D Electronic Services

SPECIFICATIONS
Processor :AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core QL-60 @ 1.9GHz

Memory :2Gb Ddr2 Sdram

Hard Drive :160Gb Sata Hdd

CD/DVD Drive :DVD-Super Multi DL

Video :Up to 896 MB ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics HyperMemory

Sound :Standard stereo sound

Modem :56kps

Network :Ethernet + Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/Draft-N WLAN

LCD Display:15.4” WXGA Acer CrystalBrite LCD (8 ms/220-nit)

Webcam:Integrated camera

Digital Media Reader:5 in 1 Memory reader

External Ports :1 x Audio - Line-in - Mini-phone 3.5 mm
1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm
1 x Audio - Line-out/headphones - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
1 x Storage - ESATA
3 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A
1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45
1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
1 x HDMI
1 x Docking / port replicator
1 x Modem - Phone line - RJ-11
Expansion Slot :1 x ExpressCard/54
1 x PC Card - Type II
Embedded Security:N/A

AC / DC Adapter :Included

Battery :Included

Operating System :Windows Vista Home Premium with all original preinstalled software’s from Acer

I recently ordered it and I am still waiting for it to come, it should come tomorrow or the day after, though.

But for now I am stuck with my shitty Dell Latitude D600 : /

Darkwing

Bullcrap, that card is capable enough to run Crysis at medium-high settings.

The fact that it is old doesn't mean that it is completely worthless.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Bullcrap, that card is capable enough to run Crysis at medium-high settings.

The fact that it is old doesn't mean that it is completely worthless.
No it's not, low settings and low resolution and still not get a high framerate.