• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Gas attack on Midwest Furfest?

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I don't know if it reflects on the speaker or the presumed audience more in those cases, but it's still sad.

It's cuz they think we're all horsefuckers. Literally the reason they say that.

I just love the theories people are coming up with. The reality is probably going to be a lot less sinister. Here are my thoughts:

1. Who has recently been banned from the convention or was part of an altercation at the convention in the recent past?
2. Who considered MFF a high point of their year? Who doesn't like them?

This is pretty amateur hour and has spur-of-the-moment written all over it. My bets are that it was someone who was pissed at someone who goes to the con and wanted to screw with them or the con. Given some of the people in this fandom I would not be surprised if it was another fur, in fact I find it highly likely that it was.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
We're not like an ethnic, racial, cultural or sexual minority group. We are a collection of geeks and perverts, which is why people laugh at us.

Race and sexual orientation are sensitive matters because real systematic discrimination on those grounds is prolific. People as a whole do little more than poke fun at the furries.

Yes, but in some cases, the "poking fun" can become vicious or dangerous, and when it reaches that point, it doesn't matter how you classify furries, or whether furries as a group are more or less oppressed or marginalized than other groups. What matters is that innocent people have been hurt.

My point is, it's sad and unfortunate that some nonetheless-sympathetic people feel the need to hem, haw, quip, apologize, or equivocate in ways that would be considered inappropriate, unnecessary, uncool, douchey, or concern trollish in situations where other types of people were in the line of fire.

To clarify, I'm not saying furries are a horribly oppressed group, and I'm not saying that the usual teasing furries sometimes get is equivalent to what genuinely marginalized minority groups experience on a regular basis. I'm not playing Oppression Olympics here by any means.

It's just unfortunate that even some well-intentioned people continue to see furries in a negative or "ehhh" light, given that most furries are totally benign, and some are really caring, fun, cool, and creative folks. When you allow unchecked and untested assumptions or stereotypes to rule your thinking, everyone loses.

Butters Shikkon said:
It's cuz they think we're all horsefuckers. Literally the reason they say that.

Yeah, or by their own admission, they just think the business about dressing up as animals or cartoon characters is "creepy" or "weird," and/or they've confused just being furry with being a therian or an otherkin.

Oh, and when people defend furries on the grounds that everybody has their kinks, or that people should be entitled to their kinks, or that consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want amongst themselves......::::sigh::: Thank you for helping; please stop helping.

Last edited:

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I saw this earlier today. Its really messed up. Someone literally tried to gas the furries.
Like I said, with the shit going on with 4chan these days, I wouldn't put it out of reach.
Moot is removing /pol/ so I don't think this will be a problem. /pol/ was pretty much the last bastion of "hate everything irrationally", so even if it was a 4chan like person it won't be that way in the future.

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Who told you that?

Kori Okami

Lone Wolf
It was a rumor going around artist alley. Someone said that he was dancing in front of the news crew in his suit saying he did it.

Kit H. Ruppell

It was a rumor going around artist alley. Someone said that he was dancing in front of the news crew in his suit saying he did it.
At least you acknowledge that it's a rumor.

Who told you that?
I would like to know as well. Thus far I have not heard anything about who did it despite knowing several people who have gone to the con. Though as I said before, I fully expect that it was probably another fur that did this. An malicious outsider looking to hurt people would have put more effort into this than "Throw jar of Chlorine powder into stairwell." A troll prankster wouldn't have thought to use pool chemicals. This sort of thing is the MO of someone who is close in some way to someone at the hotel or event.

mcjoel

Pepmurrmint Fox
Not really its kinda hard to believe that someone could have this much hate for goofs who like animal people.

Kit H. Ruppell

Dunno, I was going to talk about the conditions of my stay at FurFright 2012 ("You fart, we're kicking you out into the hall") until I saw that it was a serious thread.

Saga

absolutely disgusting
I'd be more willing to believe it was something some dumbass fursuiter did. Hell, they're lucky that's the only strange substance found in a jar at the hotel.

On a sidenote... 40+ lurkers?

Not really its kinda hard to believe that someone could have this much hate for goofs who like animal people.
No, but perfectly believable if you consider the drama that occurs within the fandom. We are not all angels and there is some very real and serious animosity between some people and groups of people in the fandom.

I know it's only natural to think that there is some outsider wanting to come after a group you belong to, but I guarantee that police are going to be focusing their investigation on members of the furry community because odds are that is where they will find the perpetrator.

I'd be more willing to believe it was something some dumbass fursuiter did. Hell, they're lucky that's the only strange substance found in a jar at the hotel.
Yea, doing contract work in jails I hear about stuff like this all the time.

Woman threw a can of butane into a campfire their ex was sitting next to, boyfriend dumping gasoline into ex's mail slot, leaving antifreeze out for a neighbors pets, lots of people do stupid things to get back at people for stupid reasons and the only thing you can be thankful for is that they didn't actually sit down and put more thought into what they were going to do and cause even more damage.

IAN

And I was laughed at for saying someone would be willing to commit a mass attack on a furry con:

https://forums.furaffinity.net/thre...-being-a-fur?p=4011932&viewfull=1#post4011932

I'm still waiting for the day there's a report of a bomber/mass shooter and deaths are involved.

I think what no one is acknowledging at all is the fact that this substance can be used to make certain types of BOMBS (don't know which, not gonna risk the NSA tracking me down over a Google search). It wouldn't surprise me if yet another fuckwad tried to make an explosive like the guy from AC this past year but ended up failing, and resorting to attempting to poison via chlorine.

Croconaw

#1 Most Requested Croconaw
^

Uh, mass attack? I thought this was relatively lame to be considered a "mass attack". And for all we know, this could've been caused by a furry who got kicked out of his shag room for being too much of a loser and decided to take out his rage on the convention as a whole.

I don't want to assume anything until the official facts and culprit is found. I believe my prior proposal sounds more plausible than an attack by a "radical hater", seeing how their's an alarmingly high amount of pool boys in the fandom.

But what do I know? I'm just a Croc.

Tl;dr- we need a riot.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
I've got a jar of dirt chlorine, I've got a jar of chlorine, I've g- well shit, it fell from the top of the staircase and went into tiny pieces. I'll blame the jews for this and run.

Next day news: intentional gassing.
I really love it how this thing has blown out of proportions. To me it looks like as if someone got shoved or pushed at the top of the staircase and he'd flung the jar out.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Those damn Al-Kite-uhs

This has amatuer douchbage written all over it. From what I understand, had the person added one-or-two more agents, it would have created actual chlorine gas, which would have resulted in a few dead furries instead of a few pukey ones.

Just to put it in perspective, if this had been someone with an ACTUAL agenda, it would have been quite worse.

Unless you're like a vaudeville actor trying to keep from slipping and spilling your precariously stacked buckets of cleaning chemicals, there's no way you'd coat an entire staircase with it.

Like I said, with the shit going on with 4chan these days, I wouldn't put it out of reach.
Yeah, considering it happened on the last day of the con early in the am. If it was a pro it would have been done on Friday or Saturday at an earlier time with the addition of muriatic acid. My hubs thinks it was a butthurt guest at the hotel, furry or not. I don't know what to think about it.

PastryOfApathy

You know what I just realized? This shit's gonna spawn a bunch of random news reports for retards to overreact to. It's 2009 all over again praise furfag Jesus.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Meh, it could have been a lot worse. I might get a gas mask in case some fuckbag wants to do that at FC. But I'm afraid if something does happen and I'm the only one with a gas mask I'll be targeted as a suspect.

Fermata

Hemi-demi-semi-quaver
This is a photo of the staircase.

-Sssssnip-

That doesn't look like an itty bitty accidental spill to me. So no, I don't think so.

Jesus fuck, That was way more than I was picturing would be able to fit in a glass jar. Now it makes sense that people got sick.

I hope the furs who were hospitalized are okay.

Last edited:

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Chlorine powder is nasty shit. I used to work with it when I had a job cleaning pools.