• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Gauntlet 2014

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
So I can't be the only one who's been playing this. The remake to the original Gauntlet arcade game. Is there anyone else who's played this or is playing this? I'd like to know! I've been enjoying the crap out of this!

For those unfamliar, back in September Arrowhead Studios unleashed Gauntlet (which I like to call Gauntlet 2014), a remake of oldschool Gauntlet and NOT Gauntlet Legends (which a lot of people thought it would be like, if Facebook and Steam comments are anything to go off of). The game follows a simliar premise to the old school game: Four Heroes - the Wizard Merlin, the Warrior Thor, the Valkyrie Thyra, and the Elf Questor, venture into dungeons seeking fame and fortune. The plot is expanded, as a comic that comes with the game details the wizard apprentice Morak who attempts to summon the Gauntlet to gain untold power, but of course screws it up and gets locked in side it, trapped until someone manages to complete the trials. Or something like that.

Each class can their own playstyle too, more so than the original. For instance Thor is more up close and personal, with a Rush attack that can get upgraded to allow for a leaping attack and a devestating Spin Attack; the Elf of course shoots from afar and can take out foes with a slower snipe shot, and can use bombs to blast foes; the Valkyrie rips off Captain America and has a shield throw, and can use her shield to block almost anything; and the Wizard can conjure various spells that, when used right, can dominate the competition. I've actually written a four part guide to each of the four original characters off on another site, which you can find the first part of here. The Wizard's article is still under HubPages' "Quality Assurance Program" review, and will most likely release later this evening. I am also planning on writing a couple more articles as well such as a Mastery guide (these are like mini-achievements for each character that give them more perks) and an online etiquette guide. Because no one likes it when you shoot the food when others need it! I'll also do a guide on Lilith the Necromancer, a recent DLC character, when I find the funds to buy her and play around with her a bit. She's an interesting character from what I've seen online, though.

So yeah! Any fellow Heroes? Any Heroes interested? Anyone let down that this wasn't Gauntlet Legends? Let the conversing commence!

Kazolas

My friend and I used to play Gauntlet on the N64 a ton way back in the day. I considered buying the new Gauntlet on Steam but I never did
Maybe someone can change my mind ;)

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
My friend and I used to play Gauntlet on the N64 a ton way back in the day. I considered buying the new Gauntlet on Steam but I never did
Maybe someone can change my mind ;)

It's not at all like Gauntlet on the '64. It's more or less a reboot of 80's Gauntlet that actually manages to both play homage to the original Gauntlet (heck they even found a way to work in that narrating voice into the game's story!) and do it's own thing at the same time. It's on sale right now on Steam, I think 20, 25% off? But it's great fun. There is a bit of a difficulty curve in learning how to use your heroes to the best they can, but putting the time in and reading guides and tips and watching videos cna help you learn how to kick ass as any Hero. And when you find that group that just works well together? Oh man it's just loads of fun slashing, shooting, and blasting all kinds of baddies to pieces.

Plastic-Fox

I may have to try this. Love a well done semi-reboot. From your description it sounds like they blended the orginal with some new mechanics quite well.

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
Always loved some fantasy Running Man. Still need to buy it though.