• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"Gender bending"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 134556

I play video games now and then, and have fallen in love with a lot of characters, one in particular I felt really into was Athena from the Borderlands games. She is essentially a gladiator class melee fighter with a cybernetic sword and shield, and capable of lighting and fire powers. So basically she is incredibly awesome, and I've killed a lot of bad guys with her.

1606998097100.png

Anyway, I love playing as her, and thought of getting a commission of my sona as her, but then I came across the question of gender, and was curious if I should change my sona's gender to further match her character. I've heard people do this before, and it's called "gender bending", and I'm curious as to your thoughts on which direction I should go, as well as maybe a discussion on people changing your sona's gender if you have done it before, whether you are trans/fluid or cis. All furries are welcome to share their thoughts.

As always, please keep discussions respectful and friendly.

D

Deleted member 111470

I have thought about getting a commission for Rimna where he's depicted as a woman, but I just couldn't do it.

I don't know, I just don't feel comfortable with "genderbending" my characters. If he's crossdressing it doesn't bother me, but having him switched to the opposite sex isn't something I imagine he'd do.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
You have to do what feels right. There IS no "right" gender, so it's totally personal.

Basically you go "How does your sona feel to you?" That's the answer...whatever it is. For some it's clear-cut, for others it's differnent inside and outside...for others the sona can morph or flip between...for some the sona has no gender...there is no right answer, sorry! <grin>

D

Deleted member 134556

ew athena
real chads main claptrap
There are some opinions I simply will not respect. This is one of them.

I have thought about getting a commission for Rimna where he's depicted as a woman, but I just couldn't do it.

I don't know, I just don't feel comfortable with "genderbending" my characters. If he's crossdressing it doesn't bother me, but having him switched to the opposite sex isn't something I imagine he'd do.

Understandable. I'm still debating on what I'm going to do, but at this point I'm interested in experimenting with genders in a non sexual way.

D

Deleted member 134556

You have to do what feels right. There IS no "right" gender, so it's totally personal.

Basically you go "How does your sona feel to you?" That's the answer...whatever it is. For some it's clear-cut, for others it's differnent inside and outside...for others the sona can morph or flip between...for some the sona has no gender...there is no right answer, sorry! <grin>
I can see what you mean. I'm probably looking at this the wrong way. They're isn't really a right and wrong in this instance.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Roundworm In Goat Guise
i've never once considered gender bending my own sona because to me they are me and i myself have never considered myself as anything other than i already am if that makes sense.

i know other people are different and stuff and it is really down to the individual to decide as only know themselves but i guess the fact i've never evn postulated the idea of myself being anything but male kinda proves to me that i personal see myself as male and nothing else.

rather than it being a case of being unaware of the possibilities i just think no thank you this is good for me. honestly if there was any question in my mind i would not let anyone else stop me from being what i want to be or feel comfortable with but i guess i just struck lucky when i rolled the dice and got the one i'm meant to be from the start.

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
Hey! As a non binary, it just comes down to personal choice. ^~^ Like some days I will be my biological gender and be ok about it, other days I want to be feminine and live that way for a day or two. There's honestly nothing wrong about it. Now when it comes to anatomy it gets a bit tricky but at the end of the day. Your character, your choice.

Hope that helps <3

D

Deleted member 134556

Hey! As a non binary, it just comes down to personal choice. ^~^ Like some days I will be my biological gender and be ok about it, other days I want to be feminine and live that way for a day or two. There's honestly nothing wrong about it. Now when it comes to anatomy it gets a bit tricky but at the end of the day. Your character, your choice.

Hope that helps <3
It certainly helps. I appreciate it.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
That's sex bending, gender is only a linguistic term. Like neutral is a gender in Latin, and in modern Italian a hand (evolved from neutral in Latin if i'm not mistaken), a table, a fox are female while a tree, a book, a horse are male; yet inanimate objects don't have a sex, and there are male foxes and female horses. So gender is linguistic and can apply to inanimate objects and species; that's the reason why I think this concept should keep a level of separation from sex.

Anyway I've seen sex-bent versions of someone's fursona, wouldn't do that myself but it can be interesting

ben909

vaporeon... *spills* ... wait espeon now
Am i right to think you are talking about a more involved change then a short term “tfrg” like thing

personaly i have seen plenty of charaters change their traits for a time, but focus on tf stuff

D

Deleted member 134556

That's sex bending, gender is only a linguistic term. Like neutral is a gender in Latin, and in modern Italian a hand (evolved from neutral in Latin if i'm not mistaken), a table, a fox are female while a tree, a book, a horse are male; yet inanimate objects don't have a sex, and there are male foxes and female horses. So gender is linguistic and can apply to inanimate objects and species; that's the reason why I think this concept should keep a level of separation from sex.

Anyway I've seen sex-bent versions of someone's fursona, wouldn't do that myself but it can be interesting
Ah, well, I just meant gender bending as in changing my sona from male to female temporarily.

Am i right to think you are talking about a more involved change then a short term “tfrg” like thing

personaly i have seen plenty of charaters change their traits for a time, but focus on tf stuff
I just meant making my sona's and his and his qualities female for an art piece. Nothing long term for now.

ben909

vaporeon... *spills* ... wait espeon now
I just meant making my sona's and his and his qualities female for an art piece. Nothing long term for now.
Ok

then maybe my points are relevant(assuming i can make them)

From the groups i was in this was extremely common for people to do with their characters

D

Deleted member 134556

Ok

then maybe my points are relevant(assuming i can make them)

From the groups i was in this was extremely common for people to do with their characters
For me it's simply for creative purposes. I create and play as female characters all the time in fantasy and sci fi games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout and wanted to try that with my sona for once.

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
For me it's simply for creative purposes. I create and play as female characters all the time in fantasy and sci fi games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout and wanted to try that with my sona for once.
Do it!! \0/

If it's only temporary then why not eh?

D

Deleted member 134556

I figured I've gotten enough feedback to make a decision, and I appreciate everyone's help. I'm requesting this thread be closed, because like most threads, drama unfolds. I'd rather not risk this eventually turning into people debating what constitutes as ones gender and going downhill from there into fighting.

Also, everyone praise Queen @Skittles <3

Status
Not open for further replies.