• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Gender-fluid/Gender-queer Appreciation Thread

You identify as...

• Total voters

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I have seen a lot of these appreciation threads for random things like elephants and cheesecake, why not have an appreciation thread for this as well? I don't see that much Gender-fluid/Gender-queer content on here or anywhere else for that matter, so throw everything you got!

1606254664387.png

1606254642143.png

Tendo64

Siamese Weeb
Hehe, that's one cute cat. I love your art style <3

Edit: I'm dumb, what's the other pride flag?
The other flag is the genderflux flag! It's for the specific type of genderfluid where you go from agender to another gender.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
The other flag is the genderflux flag! It's for the specific type of genderfluid where you go from agender to another gender.
Ah, I see, no wonder I didn't recognize the flag. Well, always nice to learn about new identites! :)

Kinare

RAWR
idk what I am anymore, I just let people call me female and sometimes if it's online I let them call me male because you're assumed male until proven otherwise and I don't really care to fight it, the only time I correct people is if I think there's a chance they may hear my voice so that there's no awkwardness when they hear my not-so-masculine voice. Between the not caring what people call me as long as they're not being rude, the having my sona's species be devoid of apparent gender qualities, me preferring to play as male characters when I can get away with it, and not wanting anything to do with my own body most of the time... idk. IRL I would never consider a sex change, it would be too complicated and not worth it to me, so I don't really give the whole thing too much thought. I think the only way I could consider it is if I had a partner who loved me and would support me through the change, because I have no one else in my life who would accept it. Whatever I am, I'm just trying to learn how to be comfortable with me, whatever me is.

On an attraction level, I am only attracted to males. I could imagine if the perfect gal came along and checked every single box off that I could be with her, but it would have to be an asexual relationship because vaginas are gross.

Overly complicated catto be complicated.

Good Boy Avery

Level 28 Good Boy
Cis male, but my sibling came out to me recently as genderfluid. Guess I'm doin somethin right if someone trusts me enough with something like that.

I am still confused about what genderfluid is, but neither I think I really have to - after all, it takes all kind of people to make the world. Whatever you are, cis, queer, or anything in-between, you rock and you deserve all the love.

Tendo64

Siamese Weeb
I am still confused about what genderfluid is, but neither I think I really have to - after all, it takes all kind of people to make the world. Whatever you are, cis, queer, or anything in-between, you rock and you deserve all the love.
That's fine. You are right, you don't have to understand something to respect it. After all, it's very difficult for anyone not genderfluid to thoroughly understand it anyway. Gender is one of those things you can't really describe well like emotions or the concept of love. You only really know what it means when you experience it first-hand.

Faustus

I personally would like to say to anyone and everyone, whoever you are, whatever you are, be that person, wholly, sincerely and unapologetically. But please don't be offended when I can't keep up with all the different genders that are popping up every day, or how one differs from another because it's really not very intuitive.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I personally would like to say to anyone and everyone, whoever you are, whatever you are, be that person, wholly, sincerely and unapologetically.
Thanks!

But please don't be offended when I can't keep up with all the different genders that are popping up every day, or how one differs from another because it's really not very intuitive.
No one is *forcing* you to be knowledgeable in everything, as that is an impossible feat. However, it's only a vocal minority of (still valid ^^) trans people that use xenogenders, (which are the genders/labels you complain about 'popping up' every day). I tend to think of them more as personal emblems or banners, a really specific way to describe themselves, but once again, not everyone uses them. It would help if you learned about some of the more accepted gender identities.

(BTW with gender-fluid and gender-queer, the meaning is explained in the name, so it is intuitive, at least for those two identities, imo. ^^)

Faustus

Well, the problem with creating language is it's a consensual activity. Young words can be very fluid in meaning. One person may mean one thing, another person another. Eventually these things stabilise over time. That's why we have words like Awesome and Awful, complete opposites from the same basic root. With the Internet and mass media it's to be expected that they will stabilise more quickly in the modern age than previously.

I personally wish that non-gender-specific pronouns would take off so I don't have to keep awkwardly using 'They' or 'Their' when talking about individuals rather than groups, but understanding trumps correctness when it comes to writing, and not many people know 'hir' or 'zi' yet.

Things will get better, if we don't destroy the planet first :D

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I personally wish that non-gender-specific pronouns would take off so I don't have to keep awkwardly using 'They' or 'Their' when talking about individuals rather than groups, but understanding trumps correctness when it comes to writing, and not many people know 'hir' or 'zi' yet.
Where did this thing about they/them being only for groups even come from? They/them pronouns have been in common English since the 14th century, with William Shakespeare using them. IMO, they are not that awkward and are better than writing out something like "his or hers" which just sounds clunky. I've always used it and heard it in conversation before I even knew what a pronoun was or cared about gender.
  • Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Could you please let them know where they can get it?
  • The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay.
  • "But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources.
  • To be the best, one must hone their skills.
So yeah, IDK really know why I spent all my time writing this but they/them singular is grammatically correct : )

Edit: Derailing my own thread here, take this D:
1607787084743.png

Last edited:

Punji

Vaskebjørn
Where did this thing about they/them being only for groups even come from? They/them pronouns have been in common English since the 14th century, with William Shakespeare using them. IMO, they are not that awkward and are better than writing out something like "his or hers" which just sounds clunky. I've always used it and heard it in conversation before I even knew what a pronoun was or cared about gender.
  • Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Could you please let them know where they can get it?
  • The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay.
  • "But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources.
  • To be the best, one must hone their skills.
So yeah, IDK really know why I spent all my time writing this but they/them singular is grammatically correct : )
Unfortunately this is not actually correct at all. "They" refers to a group of people, never an individual. In formal and professional writings and publications, "they" should never be used to refer to a single person.

In your first example, grammatically the language is suggesting a group of people left their collectively-owned umbrella behind, and that every member of the group should be informed.

The correct language for a single individual is this: Somebody left his or her umbrella in the office. Could you please let him/her/him or her know where he/she/he or she can get it? Typically one would just assume the gender and stick with a single set of pronouns.

Alternatively: Somebody left an umbrella in the office. Could you please let its owner know it's here?

"They" is okay for use in very casual settings but doesn't refer to a single person or entity and shouldn't really be used as such. It's just always been this way.

D

Deleted member 111470

Well, genderfluid is basically like water - if it's too cold you'll freeze and you'll shatter and die.

D

Deleted member 111470

True! This is why there are so few of us, we all evaporated or froze. :/
I was messing around, tbh. I have no idea how one can feel like a man one day an a woman the next day. But as long as they're not harming anyone and they're happy, that's all that matters.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I was messing around, tbh. I have no idea how one can feel like a man one day an a woman the next day. But as long as they're not harming anyone and they're happy, that's all that matters.
Great! I feel like gender-fluidity is something you can only understand and grasp if you actually are genderfluid. Hell, I barely understand it myself. It's somewhat annoying because people will think it's weird or bad or something and I can't really explain it that well.

Cockynoob666

Im a noob?
Banned
idk what I am anymore, I just let people call me female and sometimes if it's online I let them call me male because you're assumed male until proven otherwise and I don't really care to fight it, the only time I correct people is if I think there's a chance they may hear my voice so that there's no awkwardness when they hear my not-so-masculine voice. Between the not caring what people call me as long as they're not being rude, the having my sona's species be devoid of apparent gender qualities, me preferring to play as male characters when I can get away with it, and not wanting anything to do with my own body most of the time... idk. IRL I would never consider a sex change, it would be too complicated and not worth it to me, so I don't really give the whole thing too much thought. I think the only way I could consider it is if I had a partner who loved me and would support me through the change, because I have no one else in my life who would accept it. Whatever I am, I'm just trying to learn how to be comfortable with me, whatever me is.

On an attraction level, I am only attracted to males. I could imagine if the perfect gal came along and checked every single box off that I could be with her, but it would have to be an asexual relationship because vaginas are gross.

Overly complicated catto be complicated.
Yeah... this identity concept is dumb... this would not exist if segration and discrimination doesnt exist...
Remember.... humans are the only animals that are homophoic.... think about that

We should all just acept what we are... no labals... sexuality or anything.. we should just be called as humans