• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

General Bird-feeding Thread: Birds, bird-watching, bird-feeders

Wild Turkeys are fairly common in my parts. About 3 years ago there were at least 50 passing through the driveway. There have been reports of turkeys pushing their way through screen doors and taking over houses in nearby towns.

The males can be very aggressive so try not to get too close. I made the mistake of stopping my car to admire one and he decided he would not let me pass. I had to throw a cookie out the window to get by.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Wild Turkeys are fairly common in my parts. About 3 years ago there were at least 50 passing through the driveway. There have been reports of turkeys pushing their way through screen doors and taking over houses in nearby towns.

The males can be very aggressive so try not to get too close. I made the mistake of stopping my car to admire one and he decided he would not let me pass. I had to throw a cookie out the window to get by.
I live on the border between a city and a town under construction, so they aren't as common.
As far as them being aggressive, it's a learned behavior.
The one you ran into probably learned to not fear humans after interacting with ones that were also skittish.

The one I ran into had a nest nearby yet didn't attack.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Woodpecker is here.

EUTQvc1X0AAAryC

D

Deleted member 111470

I don't understand birdwatching. In the city, I can only see pigeons, seagulls and some random small birds. There's is nothing exciting about those.

However, I love birds of prey. Especially owls. In fact I found an Instagram account dedicated to (pet) owls: Hufftons (@hufftons) • Instagram photos and videos

Oh, and those parrots and birds of paradise in the tropics are gorgeous. Wish I could see them in person.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I don't understand birdwatching. In the city, I can only see pigeons, seagulls and some random small birds. There's is nothing exciting about those.

However, I love birds of prey. Especially owls. In fact I found an Instagram account dedicated to (pet) owls: Hufftons (@hufftons) • Instagram photos and videos

Oh, and those parrots and birds of paradise in the tropics are gorgeous. Wish I could see them in person.

Some cities have birds of prey, which eat the pigeons. A few cities in western Europe have parakeets, which escaped from aviaries and now live wild. I've seen them in Southampton.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Some cities have birds of prey, which eat the pigeons. A few cities in western Europe have parakeets, which escaped from aviaries and now live wild. I've seen them in Southampton.

Baltimore had falcons, and certain hawks, that I think ate pigeons. Always was nice to see a falcon; sort of squat fellows that looked a bit like an owl, crossed with a hawk, when perched.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet

Downtown Cincinnati, OH had peregrine falcons. They built nests on the buildings and hunted the pigeons.

There are bald eagles living around here now, too. I know some parts of the country are used to them, but where I live they were totally wiped out for many years. Good to see them back.

kiroku

This thread spiked my interest way more than I initially thought it would. Now it's time to research what cool birds are in my area..

Simo

This thread spiked my interest way more than I initially thought it would. Now it's time to research what cool birds are in my area..

That makes me happy : ) It's also something to do, while everything is closed, with this virus; fun to take walks, and see what you can spot, as well as watch the feeders.

Hope you see some exciting birds!

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
Anyone have any idea what kind of bird this is?
For the past few years they've been building a nest on our front porch. They had to rebuild this one since we removed the one from the previous two years. They weren't happy with us and made a mess all over the front porch.
I enjoy bird watching. My cats do too so lol. I like leaving a feeder out. Although I doubt I'll get a chance to this year consider the *erhem* circumstances I'd prefer not to mention. AKA the Backstreet Boys Reunion Tour.
Sorry the images are a little dark...the bottom picture has the bird in it. I can try to find a shot from day light. The bird tends to fly off when I open the door, so I have no idea why they would build a nest there of all places.

bird_nest_by_mauevig_ddtsoil-fullview.jpg

burb_in_nest_by_mauevig_ddtsoyg-fullview.jpg

Simo

For the past few years they've been building a nest on our front porch. They had to rebuild this one since we removed the one from the previous two years. They weren't happy with us and made a mess all over the front porch.
I enjoy bird watching. My cats do too so lol. I like leaving a feeder out. Although I doubt I'll get a chance to this year consider the *erhem* circumstances I'd prefer not to mention. AKA the Backstreet Boys Reunion Tour.
Sorry the images are a little dark...the bottom picture has the bird in it. I can try to find a shot from day light. The bird tends to fly off when I open the door, so I have no idea why they would build a nest there of all places.

Hmmm...hard to see, but perhaps a sparrow, of some sort? I will defer to some of the experts here!

~

In today's bird-log, the gold-finches are out in numbers at the feeders. (this is new) When they were perched in the pear tree, I briefly thought: Wow, those bright yellow pears are still on the tree, even after the winter....then, they moved.

Also saw a red-winged black bird.

Kit H. Ruppell

From what little I can see of the head shape and the nest style and placement, my guess is you have a Barn Swallow. What are the markings like? All I can tell is that the chin and breast are lighter than the head.

Kit H. Ruppell

MauEvigEternalCat

Proud Feline Warrior
From what little I can see of the head shape and the nest style and placement, my guess is you have a Barn Swallow. What are the markings like? All I can tell is that the chin and breast are lighter than the head.

Black and white I think. It's hard to tell. Our feathered "neighbor" tends to fly off any time I see him (her?) if I walk out the door. If I'm lucky enough to get a clearer photograph of him or her I'll post it.
It's a very shy little bird that's for sure.

I also made a bird feeder out of a Dr Pepper bottle, and a tiny little bird enjoyed some bird seed out of it. XD

Kit H. Ruppell

Hmmm.... these birdies - feed just about any diner really well, I'm told.... especially hungry yotie yotes returning home, after a long day. ;) :cool:
Cornish-Game-Hens-5-edited-cropped-final.jpg
There's a Jumping Cholla in need of a cuddle.