• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

get more W3C compliant!

selth

Linuxian Dragon
Last edited:

selth

Linuxian Dragon
ok. broken : CSS, the font display is horrible and will depend on systems.

Stratelier

Is now a good time to point out that on the Browse page, the mouseovers that display a submission's description never worked properly? They only show up like 10% of the time on Firefox.

According to the XHTML validation, the most common problem seems to be that URLs ('img src's, 'a href's, et al.) should be htmlspecialchars()'d before output, otherwise the validator will interpret & as an identifier for an HTML entity instead of a literal ampersand.

BUt something like this:

Line 41, Column 14: character "{" is not allowed in the value of attribute "align".

<div align="{tblalign}">
I'm guessing that {tblalign} is a placeholder for some value that was supposed to be compiled into the page from the server. Am I right?

(Just for kicks I asked the validators to check Fanart Central, the site I help on. This generated about half as many validation errors as FA did)

Last edited by a moderator:

selth

Linuxian Dragon
The "font display"?

ah, a typo remained. font displayed. I'll include a snapshot later.

about CSS & XHTML, good wesites to check is w3school. it has everything you need and needn't...

basically, it's heaven for coders.

you might want to use the "web developper toolbar" module in frefox and other code rendering modules. lots enable to see common mistakes easily.

also be carefull what doctype you implement! don't go all out to XHTML if you're not gonna follow the strict version.

link : http://www.w3schools.com/

has lots references so you always know what's good and what's not.

my personal preference is to use always the same way to create objects using php5's object side and include files. that way I only write the html once.

CSS is a pain in the tailhole most of the time...

good tools save time but don't do all.

selth

Linuxian Dragon
here is the screenshot. I didn't and couldn't confirm the display doesn't work on windows and mac systems. I will also join a display of the forum...

Last edited:

selth

Linuxian Dragon
and here is a random post of the forum as I see it (anyone has acces to the source code so I'm not bothering including it)

selth

Linuxian Dragon
Problem is the website's font induces headache. picture has been redimentioned... it is damn horrible.

selth

Linuxian Dragon
true. I'll try to im you and send you the screenshots

selth

Linuxian Dragon
I recommend adding default to sans-serif at the end of the font line.

Stratelier

I can't see any problem either. FA's forums and mainsite appear to already use a sans-serif font by default. What zoom level / font size is your browser set for?

selth

Linuxian Dragon
the problem is FA's Dark CSS doesn't use sans-serifby default, I checked.

the second problem is verdana doesn't ship with systems other than windows.

selth

Linuxian Dragon
Mac is not unix, it's mac.

anyway, if any of you who have linux or whateer you're using knows a way to get Verdana, more or less legally... I'm all hears!

Last edited:

Adrimor

Banned
Banned
Mac is not unix, it's mac.

Mac is Unix with massive bloat, massive overpricing, and massive idiocy in the form of its HFS+ file system. What was wrong with regular HFS?

anyway, if any of you who have linux or whateer you're using knows a way to get Verdana, more or less legally... I'm all hears!

There are acceptable substitutes in the package repositories for most distros, I believe.

Or, you could just copy it over from a Windows install. Assuming its on your machine, there's no way they can prosecute you...

But come on--it's not like M$ is gonna come after you because you made an unauthorized copy of ONE FONT...

http://mondaybynoon.com/2007/04/02/linux-font-equivalents-to-popular-web-typefaces/
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/12/adding-windows-fonts-in-linux.html
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxListOfFonts.html
http://www.mattparnell.com/projects/even-prettier-fonts-in-linux---all-flavors.html

Those should be helpful.

Firehazard

I can fix it!
The point was that Verdana is the only font listed in the CSS, when there should at the very least be "sans serif" added. I vaguely remember that myself from when I used the lab computers at school to get on here.

Slightly off-topic, does anyone else think the W3C ought to be adding more generic typeface categories, like "humanist" and "modern", to the list of available ones? I sure do. It bugs me that there are all these lookalike fonts and unless you know them all by name, it's impossible to be sure a page actually displays the way it was designed to look.

Eevee

Banned
Banned
yes, it is, and sans-serif should be there

but on the other hand if you don't like your default font you should probably change your default font

selth

Linuxian Dragon
users are users, dude... and it's not I'm not liking it, it's that with the screen display and the font size, the default turns to be horrible in the end.

Adrimor

Banned
Banned
While I respect the attempt, I get the feeling he's not visually impaired...

Key word there being "visually".

The impairment is definitely well-rooted in place...

I think I'll look for a tutorial as to how it's done and post a link. That way you can stop pulling your hair out--assuming you still retain any after this...

But really, Selth, in Firefox under Linux, can't you just go into "Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "Content" and set the default font from there? I'm in Windows at the moment, but the only difference with changing that setting between the versions seems to be the placement of the menu item calling that dialog...

'Course, I use Ubuntu, so I can't say with full confidence that Firefox has the same menu under Fedora anyway...and I know nothing of whatever browser may come built-in with the install you're using...