• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Getting close to what i was looking for...

NomeKo

First of all, My first topic about this was in The Den, but this is no longer about my mess with the Furry meaning:
(well, it has been moved again, no problem at all o_O)

http://forums.furaffinity.net/showthread.php?t=51818&page=3
(Before this)

So, here I go, *take a depht breatht*

Since at least, all my questions are resumed in two key words, I can't decide yet, it's a bit of this and of that:

Daimonion:
It's the meaning of the souls of human beings living outside their bodies, taking the form of a creature called a daemon. They take the form of an animal, usually of the opposite sex to its owner. The daemons of children can change shape between different animals but at puberty the daemon loses that ability, and retains the shape you feel more identified. According to some studies, this phenomenon could be related to a greater or lesser amount of dust that builds up around children and adults. Daimonions are closely allied with the humans they are linked, this relationship being so strong that a normal human being can not be separated from his daemon, however, the world has changed beeing changed and that tought has beacome smaller and smaller, that it had be changed to the term of animal Totem

When a human dies, their daemon also dies and disappears forever.

In the past world we can find a direct reference to Greek mythology, where the daemon (Δαίμων) is a term used to refer to different realities that share the fundamental characteristics of what in other traditions called angels and demons.

Socrates said that it was left by her daemon guide, calls it "prophetic voice within me, coming from a higher power" or also "sign of God." It is the inner voice that warned him when he made mistakes but never told what to do or pressed in the following to do so. He argued that all have an inner daemon.

The concept of the daemon remembers Fylgjas of Norse mythology.
(so yes, i took a look of the Flygjs and is somehow related to it.)

Fylgja:
A Fylgja (literally: the one that follows) was, according to Norse mythology, a supernatural creature that accompanied a person. Usually appeared in the form of an animal, believed to correspond to the person's character or lifestyle so it was probably conceived as the soul of the person who was separated from the body. A man warrior consequently had such a wolf or a bear by fylgja. They appeared during sleep, but the sagas relate that could occur when a person was awake. See their own was an omen of death.

When appearing in the form of a woman, were, however, guardian spirits for the people and clans (atter)

And, this is MY point of view about these concepts:

The meaning of this for me, is that we all have, or used to have a Spiritual bound with animals, maybe the animal we wish to be, it's our Fylgja or Daimonion I think, that as many use to belive there's a god, with the power to define our fate, and will allways be with us, is because we, humans, are so proud of ourself, that we belive we're the ultimate creator, or one human was the ultimate creator, ur faith in humanity is so bigs, that we forget about other things that are also important, like others species of living beeings, and they're not just for petting, they're part of us somehow, I know im maybe going to much to the past and spititual stuff, but guess what? that's our ancestor's beleved, so I do belive there's a Fylgja or Daimonion inside me, that wont change me, i won't become other, is like i used to think god was my friend, i think one Fylgja or Daimonion will and it's my friend, no matter what, we rised together...

The concept of both means they're animals, but one say they're friends, and the other say that they're Spirits, i think that Fylgja may be the closest to Totem...

Well, that's all for now, you may discuss, and for beeing furry, you guys may be intrested on this kind of stuff to haha

My research comes from es.Wikipedia (spanish) so the terms you may found in inglish are a bit messy compared tothe spansh one (the daimonion is compleatly changed from animal spirit to demon :S)

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fylgja
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimonion
(I translated them and posted them here, so you may waste your time translating hehe)

well, you guys are free to read and discuss or give your opinion, that's all for now, there's a lot of new terms i will be looking into, i hope someone found this as intresting as me :)

P.D.
I SUPPORT SOCRATES
...Socrates said that it was left by her daemon guide, calls it "prophetic voice within me, coming from a higher power" or also "sign of God." It is the inner voice that warned him when he made mistakes but never told what to do or pressed in the following to do so. He argued that all have an inner daemon.

Last edited:

Irreverent

Still Den material, so I'll move it there.

Irreverent

A therian, otherkin reference methinks.

Zseliq

Fylgja.

Fay V

Lost to this world
>.> I'm not sure what to say about that...your combination of golden compass daemons and Socrates disturbs me.
What Socrates describes is more commonly described as a conscience. Socrates was actually more an advocate that not everything in the world was spirits and gods.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
See a doctor, nothing SPIRTUAL IN THE FANDOM
go see Otherkins, I doubt Therians would see ya

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
See a doctor, nothing SPIRTUAL IN THE FANDOM
go see Otherkins, I doubt Therians would see ya

lol

ITT: watching the Golden Compass while on some sort of drug.

twelvestring

The howling wolf
Nomeko, it's good that you are trying to define yourself. But I'm pretty sure your research lead you to a movie reference. I don't know if the golden compass is based on these beliefs or vice versa but they are...well identical. Never heard of fylgja though.

I don't think you will find a term on the internet that defines you exactly. Closest thing I can think of is otherkin or therian. Don't really know the difference though. Self definition is seldom easy. Hell I'm practically 30 and I still have no clue. Keep on the search buddy.

Asswings

Banned
Banned
I'm just going to sit here with my sparklesona and snicker.

Patton89

My brain hurts.
And i have no clue what you are trying to convey with your post even after i read it 3 times.
It seems your making up some sort of non-sensical semi-religion.

Ok.

So I've delved into the concept of "daemons" before, many months ago. I was really into it for a while. You know, trying it out, seeing if it would work for me. I tried to fool myself into doing it, you know? But I knew that it was bullshit and I wanted to believe so badly, but I couldn't bring myself to believing in something that was clearly nonexistant.

Basically, some people have seen the movie "The Golden Compass" and actually think they have a "daemon", an animal spirit guide that is a part of their soul. They "project" is, meaning they imagine they are seeing it. They talk to it. They have conversations. It is essentially an imaginary friend. They offer "guidance" or some other bullshit. There's an entire forum devoted to it. Yeah.

It would be pretty cool if we had animal souls walking alongside us. But it's not real. You'd have to make yourself believe a lie, essentially. I can't do that. But a lot of people can. (hell, millions believe in Go - er, never mind. don't want to start anything.) So if you want to, I guess, go for it?

But it's fiction, and you gotta know that. This isn't a religion. It's what an author came up with while writing a book. One man (Philip Pullman) made it up. So don't treat it as anything more, or else you'll be bordering on delirium.

(also, SomethingAwful featured the website I just linked to on their Weekend Web once. I suggested it. :3 )

Last edited:

lion_bones

Died of Natural Causes
So 'His Dark Materials' made my barely-pubescent self rejoice in the world once again, and yes, bro, that was indeed a cool story,

but next time make it coherent and try not to look like you believe wack, yeah?

south syde dobe

4th Elite General
Daimonion:
It's the meaning of the souls of human beings living outside their bodies, taking the form of a creature called a daemon. They take the form of an animal, usually of the opposite sex to its owner. The daemons of children can change shape between different animals but at puberty the daemon loses that ability, and retains the shape you feel more identified. According to some studies, this phenomenon could be related to a greater or lesser amount of dust that builds up around children and adults. Daimonions are closely allied with the humans they are linked, this relationship being so strong that a normal human being can not be separated from his daemon, however, the world has changed beeing changed and that tought has beacome smaller and smaller, that it had be changed to the term of animal Totem

When a human dies, their daemon also dies and disappears forever.

In the past world we can find a direct reference to Greek mythology, where the daemon (Δαίμων) is a term used to refer to different realities that share the fundamental characteristics of what in other traditions called angels and demons.

Socrates said that it was left by her daemon guide, calls it "prophetic voice within me, coming from a higher power" or also "sign of God." It is the inner voice that warned him when he made mistakes but never told what to do or pressed in the following to do so. He argued that all have an inner daemon.

The concept of the daemon remembers Fylgjas of Norse mythology.
(so yes, i took a look of the Flygjs and is somehow related to it.)

I've read a book that had those things in it and I believe they've made a movie...I think it was called "The Golden Compass" or something along those lines XD

Volpino

If a religion did come from the Golden Compass, it'd hardly be the first time a religion came out of a work of fiction. (I'll forgo specific examples, in the name of furry Unitarian congregational episcopal oneness of the zen type.)

To humor the thread though, I'll say this much. If people really are looking for inner peace, they're not going to find it on a bulletin board. That's what science and religion are for.

If they're looking to unite a group of people under a common, single banner, they're not going to do it on a bulletin board. Such a thing doesn't exist.

If you're looking for other furries that can pat you on the head and say, "Poor lost soul. Let me give a bowl of snickers gravy, a glass of water, and a tag that reads: 'Mascot for Insanity, property of Fur Affinity,'" a bulletin board, just might be the right place.