• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Getting to know your fellow fur a little better

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
So, I was thinking on whether I wanted to make this a forum game or just a general discussion. Discussion ended up winning out. Maybe people will get use out of it, maybe not!

Sooooooo, imma @Simo and ask him a few questions
Cause I wanna know, when did you start writing and what do you find are your inspirations? I've always found you had a particular knack for it. You've got a way with words, and a certain fox is eager to know just a little more!

If ya got any questions for others, myself and so on. Either post reply or @

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
So, I was thinking on whether I wanted to make this a forum game or just a general discussion. Discussion ended up winning out. Maybe people will get use out of it, maybe not!

Cause I wanna know, when did you start writing and what do you find are your inspirations? I've always found you had a particular knack for it. You've got a way with words, and a certain fox is eager to know just a little more!

Aw, thanks Kimber! I'm blushing. Let me weigh this some, and I'll shoot you a PM.

Funny, with this virus in full swing, I was just setting about doing some writing again; set up a small, temporary desk, and organized some things. (An organized, pleasant space to write is invaluable...though, I have also written many rough drafts/ideas down in coffee shops and on the go, which has the effect of freeing me of the distractions offered by a computer and the internet)

More shortly on inspirations.

And here's a question for you:

I find you have a very keen wit, and quick sense of humor, and are adept at expressing it: how do you think this developed, and do you think it's a talent one might aspire to?

KimberVaile

Aw, thanks Kimber! I'm blushing. Let me weigh this some, and I'll shoot you a PM.

Funny, with this virus in full swing, I was just setting about doing some writing again; set up a small, temporary desk, and organized some things. (An organized, pleasant space to write is invaluable...though, I have also written many rough drafts/ideas down in coffee shops and on the go, which has the effect of freeing me of the distractions offered by a computer and the internet)

More shortly on inspirations.

And here's a question for you:

I find you have a very keen wit, and quick sense of humor, and are adept at expressing it: how do you think this developed, and do you think it's a talent one might aspire to?
The sounds quite alright to me! I'm glad to hear you're getting back into it too. This would be the right time to do so! Well, that's true, it takes a lot of discipline to not lose yourself to procrastination, especially with the internet.

For me, I would say. I got picked on a lot, and had to defend myself with words. I'd not recommend going through with that! I would recommend for those who want to sharpen their wit to try making a few jokes in a safe environment. Once you do that enough, apply that to daily conversations. I'm not sure I have much a better answer than that. :p

Simo

Well, the fox certainly knows how to flatter!

This quote springs to mind:

"I am writing for myself and strangers. This is the only way that I can do it. Everybody is a real one to me, everybody is like some one else too to me. No one of them that I know can want to know it and so I write for myself and strangers." - Gertrude Stein

What motivated me? I'd say a sense of longing, even of loneliness. This is a constant theme in anything I write; moreover, I always wrote with the aim of it resonating with an audience, and stirring something within them: some feeling we had in common, evoked by the particularity of the poem, or piece in question. I've tried to keep things simple, leaning on nouns and verbs inasmuch as possible. Much is based on what I know: growing up in the woodlands of northern Michigan, and later, the landscapes of City Life in Baltimore, a quirky, hardscrabble city with a big heart. And thus, many images of lakes, rivers, winding roads, cars, cigarettes, late-night diners, growing up, emerging sexuality.

Reading inspired me a good deal. I was never a very talented kid athletically, so more intellectual things filled in the gap of self esteem. What inspired me the most? As a kid, comic books, especially the works of Carl Barks, his Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck stories: the world he created in Duckberg and beyond was like a mirror to our own, and yet, somehow fantastic at the same time; the balance of the tragic and comic seems perfect to this day. Later, I had a wonderful teacher in the 11th grade, for American literature, and that's among the things that really excited me. Reading and discussing Poe, Hawthorne, Stephen Crane, Sherwood Anderson in a passionate, engaging setting really opened my eyes, as did the last part of the year where we read works by Raymond Chandler, John Cheever, Joyce Carol Oates, Tillie Olson, Flannery O'Connor and Donald Barthelme. I also met a friend at about the only local punk rock show that happened up north, at the time, who went to The Interlochen Academy for the Arts (where I would have liked to have gone, but alas, very expensive), and she introduced me to a great number of new authors; we had many fun times and late nights hanging out, talking about what we were reading and writing. I was also on the school paper, from the 6th to 10th grade, and then, became an English major in college, and that exposed me to any number of writing workshops, and people to bounce ideas off of, as well as being able to do some live readings.

Now, I just have to get off my ass and write more regularly :p

As an aside: When I write replies on the forums and online it seems to fuel this voracious use of commas, as if there was some or other pending shortage. I'm not sure why. I'd never write like that normally. My only guess is that I'm trying to emulate the pauses in everyday speech.

~

In order to keep this going, I'll ask a question of another fur.

@Ravofox : What motivated your area of study at university, and what are your plans for using it later? I find it fascinating that you've selected an area that encompasses history and the social sciences. And also, what accounts for your sweet disposition? :p

Last edited:

Ravofox

back to Aussie foxying!
Well, the fox certainly knows how to flatter!

This quote springs to mind:

"I am writing for myself and strangers. This is the only way that I can do it. Everybody is a real one to me, everybody is like some one else too to me. No one of them that I know can want to know it and so I write for myself and strangers." - Gertrude Stein

What motivated me? I'd say a sense of longing, even of loneliness. This is a constant theme in anything I write; moreover, I always wrote with the aim of it resonating with an audience, and stirring something within them: some feeling we had in common, evoked by the particularity of the poem, or piece in question. I've tried to keep things simple, leaning on nouns and verbs inasmuch as possible. Much is based on what I know: growing up in the woodlands of northern Michigan, and later, the landscapes of City Life in Baltimore, a quirky, hardscrabble city with a big heart. And thus, many images of lakes, rivers, winding roads, cars, cigarettes, late-night diners, growing up, emerging sexuality.

Reading inspired me a good deal. I was never a very talented kid athletically, so more intellectual things filled in the gap of self esteem. What inspired me the most? As a kid, comic books, especially the works of Carl Barks, his Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck stories: the world he created in Duckberg and beyond was like a mirror to our own, and yet, somehow fantastic at the same time; the balance of the tragic and comic seems perfect to this day. Later, I had a wonderful teacher in the 11th grade, for American literature, and that's among the things that really excited me. Reading and discussing Poe, Hawthorne, Stephen Crane, Sherwood Anderson in a passionate, engaging setting really opened my eyes, as did the last part of the year where we read works by Raymond Chandler, John Cheever, Joyce Carol Oates, Tillie Olson, Flannery O'Connor and Donald Barthelme. I also met a friend at about the only local punk rock show that happened up north, at the time, who went to The Interlochen Academy for the Arts (where I would have liked to have gone, but alas, very expensive), and she introduced me to a great number of new authors; we had many fun times and late nights hanging out, talking about what we were reading and writing. I was also on the school paper, from the 6th to 10th grade, and then, became an English major in college, and that exposed me to any number of writing workshops, and people to bounce ideas off of, as well as being able to do some live readings.

Now, I just have to get off my ass and write more regularly :p

As an aside: When I write replies on the forums and online it seems to fuel this voracious use of commas, as if there was some or other pending shortage. I'm not sure why. I'd never write like that normally. My only guess is that I'm trying to emulate the pauses in everyday speech.

~

In order to keep this going, I'll ask a question of another fur.

@Ravofox : What motivated your area of study at university, and what are your plans for using it later? I find it fascinating that you've selected an area that encompasses history and the social sciences. And also, what accounts for your sweet disposition? :p

Dawww, thanks for the questions Simo!!:D

Well, I'm doing a history major, and having always been passionate about history it came pretty naturally:D. As for what I'm going to do with it, well...I'm not entirely sure yet:p. Maybe I could become a professional historian, who knows?:D Also, studying environmental history this year, perhaps I could get involved in conservation somehow:)
History is definitely very important for understanding the present, which is why connections with the social sciences is particularly important, imho at least!

Hehe, as for that, I guess I was brought up to be nice and non-judgemental. But, I did use to be somewhat more prickly and impatient with people. I think once I started feeling more self confidence I was able to overcome this:)

Hmmm, this question goes to @Keefur. What made you choose a sabertooth? You don't see a lot of them in the fandom! Also, would you say you have an Appalachian accent?:p

Simo

Dawww, thanks for the questions Simo!!:D

Well, I'm doing a history major, and having always been passionate about history it came pretty naturally:D. As for what I'm going to do with it, well...I'm not entirely sure yet:p. Maybe I could become a professional historian, who knows?:D Also, studying environmental history this year, perhaps I could get involved in conservation somehow:)
History is definitely very important for understanding the present, which is why connections with the social sciences is particularly important, imho at least!

Hehe, as for that, I guess I was brought up to be nice and non-judgemental. But, I did use to be somewhat more prickly and impatient with people. I think once I started feeling more self confidence I was able to overcome this:)

Hmmm, this question goes to @Keefur. What made you choose a sabertooth? You don't see a lot of them in the fandom! Also, would you say you have an Appalachian accent?:p

Yoooooo, hoooooooo! @Keefur! You've been summoned!

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Hmmm, this question goes to @Keefur. What made you choose a sabertooth? You don't see a lot of them in the fandom! Also, would you say you have an Appalachian accent?
Ah... I found the reason for the summons. I chose to be a Sabertooth for different reasons. My first choice was a Keeshond dog *note the kee part of my name*. I realized that everyone would think I was a husky, so I ditched that idea. I was going to be a fox, because, well, "off the record", I have an affinity to wild foxes. I once met one on the banks of the Mississippi River. It literally popped its head up about ten feet in front of me and we just looked at each other for about ten to fifteen minutes, until a jogger came along and spooked it. I also used to feed wild foxes behind my old shop in the middle of Memphis. There was about a four acre overgrown lot they lived in. Anyway, I didn't want to have to deal with the "sex" stigma, so I ditched that idea. I decided on a Sabertooth finally. At the time, there were only about four Sabertooth fursuiters in the Fandom, and you couldn't tell what they were by their fursuits. I went online and did my research and built myself my own fursuit. I had a friend sew the parts up for me. I did the head and foot paws. Some of the other reasons I picked this species was because first of all, I was a little "long in the tooth" already, so it was like a jab at myself. I also realized that I kind of mirrored the species in that I was, and still am, really strong. Sabertooths were known for their incredible strength as it is hypothesized that they wrestled their prey to the ground. That's pretty incredible when you consider that their prey was measured in tons.

I don't have an appalacian accent. It's more of a mix of accents. Believe it or not, I was born in the midwest. Kansas to be precise. I moved to South Carolina when I was about seven and stayed there for four years. That is where I picked up the bulk of my accent. I have lived in Memphis ever since, for all practical purposes. So I have a blended accent.

I have a question now for @TR273 . I know the virus has screwed everyone's future plans up, but if/when everything returns to normal, what are your future plans?

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
@Keefur what brought you to furry fandom?
Funny you should ask. My first "anthro" experience was about 1975 at a Gen Con (gamer's convention held in Racine, Wisconsin). I saw some anthro art in the art gallery there and it connected with me. Many, many years later, I was doing some printing for another game convention and the con chair asked me if I was printing MFM. I didn't have a clue what it was, and he said "the Furries". I still didn't know what he was talking about. He said he would have their con chair contact me. I was OK with that, only he never did. A month later, I was eating dinner at home and channel surfing. CSI was on. Yup... THAT episode... Fur and Loathing. I finally knew what a Furry kind of was. I went online to check it out. There wasn't really much online, but I kept digging and finding more. I connected with the concept. A month later I was at my first Furry con. A year later I had a fursuit and not too long after that I started a con myself. The point is, that the Fandom filled a huge hole in my being that I didn't know I had. Now the Fandom is like my family.

TR273

Pirate Fox Mom
@Keefur
Interesting question

Well I need to see what sort of shape I and my family come through this mess in first. But I’m planning on doing a bit of travel around Europe (I was going to do it this year but that’s a big no-no now) and I’d like to return to the U.S. for FAU and see a little more of the states this time.

UwUCarlaUwU

Hello my fluffy children! OwO
>:3 actually there wasn't a specific thing that made me one, it was my love for animals, and i also had a fursona when i was 8-9 XD, i didn't know what it was then, but i do now, and i love it :D

D

Deleted member 82554

I'mma hooman that pretends to be an animal furson on the internet. That's all everyone needs to know.

F

FrostHeart

@The Fluffy MC (president) what made you into a furry? and why are you so adorable lol
Hmmm... it all started with video games: specifically Pirate101 and The Elder Scrolls. Then I discovered the fandom, and after a few hours of browsing I felt my love for furries. Plus, just like you, I live animals.
As for the adorable part, I dont agree with you. :p

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
@Fallowfox From what I know you have a pretty interesting job, imo. Was there any specific moment that sparked your interest in research?

I have a deep and erotic fascination with spreadsheets.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
I think we got off on the wrong foot and it continued for far too long. So I think I'll start with asking a question or two. @KimberVaile What are some of your hobbies? What interests you?

KimberVaile

I think we got off on the wrong foot and it continued for far too long. So I think I'll start with asking a question or two. @KimberVaile What are some of your hobbies? What interests you?

Sure. I think game design is pretty interesting to me, it's something I like to learn about and discuss. I sometimes do programming on the side related to game things. History and surfing are other things I enjoy doing.
I don't generally tend to talk about myself, but hopefully that elucidates things a bit.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
Sure. I think game design is pretty interesting to me, it's something I like to learn about and discuss. I sometimes do programming on the side related to game things. History and surfing are other things I enjoy doing.
I don't generally tend to talk about myself, but hopefully that elucidates things a bit.
Oh that's pretty interesting. I've actually been messing around in Unity for about a week now setting up my own game. Do you ever plan to make a game yourself?