• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Gift Art Submission Variable

I did a simple search and didn't come up with any past suggestions similar to this, so I'll go ahead. Knowing me, I probably just entered the wrong key word and am repeating a past agrument.

-------------

We all know how there are many members of FA who are watchers or connoisseurs and rarely if ever submit any work of their own. Because of this, I am suggesting the addition of a sort of "gift art//commission" variable that can be checked in the same way as the "send to scraps" check box.

Marking such a box would provide an input field where the original artist's name could be submitted. This would allow that name to appear in the "by [name]" field in the title of a submission, and the copyright field at the bottom (as opposed to the one who is reposting the work).

Of course, a disclaimer consisting of a rule(s) about posting such items and requiring the user to check an additional box stating that they have express permission by the original artist to re-post the work is a must.

I don't find it necessary, but the removal of works marked thusly from the overhead "browse" selection may prove to be a good idea (in the same way that scraps are not found in the list unless searched for directly).

Just a thought I had after confusing the origin of various pieces between members of FA.

Thoughts?

I also contemplated on the idea that this alternaive might be easier to use if it were a submission option (along with 'submit artwork,' 'submit music,' etc., there would be a 'submit gift art//commission'). This may cut down on accidental skips of the feature, but could make it more difficult for users to retroactively change the commissions they've already posted.

I figure that, like the Gallery and Scraps tabs above member pages, there would also be a Commission/Gift tab.

Airu said:
I think it's a good idea.

I'd like to think so-- and even more so for artists who host their own work and also have a couple trades, commissions or gifts. You can browse that artist's gallery, check out their scraps, and tab over to see their gifts all seperately.

Airu

that and I know a lot of people where they have a character that they commission a lot, but they don't draw themselves. I like to browse what everyone has drawn for them, so those kind of galleries are a lot of fun, and it would be good to incorporate the system you are suggesting.

SageHendrix

Yves-Alphonse said:
I did a simple search and didn't come up with any past suggestions similar to this, so I'll go ahead. Knowing me, I probably just entered the wrong key word and am repeating a past agrument.

-------------

We all know how there are many members of FA who are watchers or connoisseurs and rarely if ever submit any work of their own. Because of this, I am suggesting the addition of a sort of "gift art//commission" variable that can be checked in the same way as the "send to scraps" check box.

Marking such a box would provide an input field where the original artist's name could be submitted. This would allow that name to appear in the "by [name]" field in the title of a submission, and the copyright field at the bottom (as opposed to the one who is reposting the work).

Of course, a disclaimer consisting of a rule(s) about posting such items and requiring the user to check an additional box stating that they have express permission by the original artist to re-post the work is a must.

I don't find it necessary, but the removal of works marked thusly from the overhead "browse" selection may prove to be a good idea (in the same way that scraps are not found in the list unless searched for directly).

Just a thought I had after confusing the origin of various pieces between members of FA.

Thoughts?

It does sound like a great idea to me as well. I think that it would help make sure that people know a submission is not so much a submission but is an "art trade"/"gift art"/"Commission" that the account owner wants to share, regardless of if that account owner ever posts art of their own.

Firehazard

I can fix it!
I had a similar idea; mine was a bit more complex:

Users can submit an image and flag it as having been created by somebody else, which would put it in a special "Art for Me" tab next to Favorites, Scraps, and Favorites. Initially it would be flagged as "unclaimed." The creator of the image can then flag it as theirs if they want, which would have to be confirmed by the person who posted it. The same image would then end up in the creator's gallery and they would have full rights to it, the same as if they submitted it themselves. So they can edit the description to be in first person, update the image if they have a better quality copy, etc.

Likewise, when a user who submits a commission/trade/gift art they created, the person they created it for can flag it as being created for them, which also would have to be confirmed. The image would then end up in their "Art for Me" gallery.

I think this would require actually changing the structure of the database itself somewhat, so naturally I'm only suggesting it as a feature to build into Ferrox, not something to be added in the meantime.

Le_Démon_Sans_Visage

evolution's cruelest joke
I had that idea, too - a Gift Art tab, or a colored frame like for 'mature' art. Still think it's a good idea. ;)

Le_Démon_Sans_Visage said:
I had that idea, too - a Gift Art tab, or a colored frame like for 'mature' art. Still think it's a good idea. ;)

Ah, I didn't even think about a coloured frame. . .

The addition of a new frame in the mix would be useful, but what if the commission//gift is 'adult' or 'mature' in nature? Which frame is presented?

Also, another type of frame may turn galleries into rainbow jungles.

I like the idea, but I'm not so sure it would work in the end.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
*Insert 'It will be in Ferrox' comment here*