• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

GIMP problem

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
Recently I downloaded GIMP.

I drew a sketch by hand (good old mechanical pencil), scanned it, and loaded it to GIMP. I created a second layer where I could do lineart to create a cleaner art.

Here's where the problem lies.

I saved my art as a jpeg and later tried opening it up again to work on it more. What happened was I saw a black image instead of my image.

Is there a way to avoid in saving my layers getting the black image of doom, or is there a way to somehow fix that black image to my image?

Please help as I'm uneasy about doing any more line art until I make sure it doesn't get messed up in saving.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
I'm not sure how it ended up as a solid black image, but next time keep your WIP in .xcf format so you don't discard any information between work sessions until it's finished.

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
Well it was in a transparancy with the line art layer, so it could have just made a black backgroung. But saving it in XCF might do the trick.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
JPEGs don't handle transparency, and I think GIMP has a thing about saving layered work in a flattened format... like, it doesn't auto flatten the same way other programs do (I remember having a similar problem once). Save your WIP as an .xcf, then when you want to make the final image, flatten/merge the layers, THEN save in whatever format you'd like.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Howdy

if you want to save your art as layers/WIP so you can work on all layers later on, save the image as image type .XCF. That is GIMP's layer-saving option.
f you would like to save it as a JPEG and be done with it, right-click the topmost layer and click Merge Down. Then, continue that with all lower levels. When it's all merged and looks good, just save it as a JPEG/JPG and you're done :D

Littlerock

numb with cold
.jpg?
Shame!
.png for finished art, and no less!

If you wanted a transparent background, saving the final as a .png with only the lineart layer would have done the job. .jpg does not handle transparency at all, and it lowers the quality of the final image to boot. While you're working, it's best to save the image as a layer-capable filetype, such as .psd or .xcf, the latter of the two is only good to be read by the gimp, but .psd can be read/opened in most other photoshop programs. The downfall, you will loose layer modes such as 'overlay' or 'saturation' when saving in .psd, but not in .xcf.

If you wanted your final lineart to be black on a white background, you would need to put a new white layer just beneath the transparent black-lined layer, then save as a .png. You do not need to manually merge all layers down first, this will happen on it's own during saving.

Volkodav

Dad****er
.jpg?
Shame!
.png for finished art, and no less!

If you wanted a transparent background, saving the final as a .png with only the lineart layer would have done the job. .jpg does not handle transparency at all, and it lowers the quality of the final image to boot. While you're working, it's best to save the image as a layer-capable filetype, such as .psd or .xcf, the latter of the two is only good to be read by the gimp, but .psd can be read/opened in most other photoshop programs. The downfall, you will loose layer modes such as 'overlay' or 'saturation' when saving in .psd, but not in .xcf.

If you wanted your final lineart to be black on a white background, you would need to put a new white layer just beneath the transparent black-lined layer, then save as a .png. You do not need to manually merge all layers down first, this will happen on it's own during saving.

That depends.
PNG should be used for digital art. If he is working with pencil-drawn sketches, theres no reason to save them as a PNG

EDIT: nvm, it seems he was drawing digitally over the sketch. In that case, PNG all the way when it's completed