• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Give to the "Fill up Krystal's iPod" Foundation!

Krystal Harmonia

RAIN BO DAH!
So, I just got a really nifty 6th gen iPod Nano for Christmas, and I need de musics to put on it.

Here's where you come in! You can either:

- Suggest a song/artist/album for me to get and supply a download link or something, or

Actually, I think that's about it.

So, get to it! My iPod is awaiting your music!

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
Timeless Miracle and Voltair.

Octa

gonna need more info, what kind of music do you listen to?
However, I do think you should listen to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. I think everyone should.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Still the Best - 1973
Homestuck Vol. 7 is what I'm listening to right now.

Onnes

Yeah, not knowing what you're looking for makes it hard. I guess I'll just suggest what is perhaps my favorite album of the past year.

The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar

Example track: Whirring

Krystal Harmonia

RAIN BO DAH!
gonna need more info, what kind of music do you listen to?

However, I do think you should listen to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. I think
everypony should.

I listen to a lot of different types of music, but not screamo/death metal, etc.

I do listen to trance, punk, rock, Alt, classical, soundtrack, and a few other genres.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
New Medicine, Race you to the Bottom
Bobaflex, Hell in my Heart

Go buy them, both bands are fairly new (well, Bobaflex has been around for a bit, but they just got a new recording company), so they both need money. Check em out on youtube to see if you like em.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
*cracks knuckles*

Well, to start, you definitely need to get some fundamentally masterful progressive rock artists.

A good place to begin is 60-70's prog, with some more well known names...
-Rush
-Yes
-King Crimson
-Jethro Tull
Then start looking at more psychedelic things...
-Pink Floyd
-The Mars Volta
-Portugal. The Man
There's also the more angsty prog writers
-At the Drive in
-Circa Survive
-Thomas Giles (not quite angsty, but in the general mindset of the writing style I'm referring to)
Then, my personal favorites, the "metal" prog artists, which generally provide large satisfaction, even if you're not a metalhead.
-Dream Theater
-Tool
-Between The Buried and Me
-The Dillinger Escape Plan
-Animals as Leaders
-Protest the Hero
-iwrestledabearonce (this one might take some persuasion and open-mindedness)

Then, there's some more general names in rock that I'd recommend
-As Tall as Lions
-Silversun Pickups
-Coheed and Cambria
-Titus Andronicus

Classical has some good shit too. Composers? Here's a few
-John Mackey (Specifically, "Kingfishers Catch Fire", "Hymn to A Blue Hour", "Xerses", "Foundry", "Redline Tango", "Undertow")
-Gustav Holst. Ok this isn't even optional. Go look up the planet suites right now if you don't know the Planet Suites, because it is a disgrace not to.
-Frank Ticheli ("Vesuvius", "Angels in The Architecture")
-Alfreed Reed ("Russian Christmas Music")
-David Maslanka ("Traveler." Holy shit, traveler...)

Jazz I only have general names, unfortunately.
-John Coltrane
-Miles Davis (So What is simply mind blowing)
-Weather Report (fusionier, but still quite good)
-Esperanza Spalding (Little Fly is a wonderful tune.)
-Look up the actual musicians Neil Gadd, Steve Weckl, Winton Marsalis
-Corrine Bailey. (Rocking Chair)

Other completely random shit
-The Gag Quartet (It's a song about memes, you can't miss it!)
-Nornir (I forgot who wrote the song, unfortunately, I think it was along the lines of Etsuko Something-or-other)
-Jellyfish (Look up Ignorance is bliss by them. RIGHT NOW.)
-Cosmo Jarvis (Crazy Screwed Up Lady)

I'll add more as I remember.

AlexInsane

I does what I says on the box.
On the classical front:
Brahm's Symphony No. 4 in E Minor
Farandole
Bach's Violin Sonata No. 1 in G Minor.

Octa

I listen to a lot of different types of music, but not screamo/death metal, etc.

I do listen to trance, punk, rock, Alt, classical, soundtrack, and a few other genres.

Very well!
observe the following:
Trance: Shpongle, infected mushroom.
punk: streetlight manifesto (extra emphasis on checking out this band), Reel Big Phish.
rock: Umphrey's Mcgee, more streetlight manifesto, Steve Vai, Kamelot, Dream theater.
Classical: Holst's: The Planets Suite, Alarm will sound Acoustica, Dvorak symphonies no. 7,8, and 9 (for real!), anything by Sergei Rachmaninoff, Erich Whitacre Choral works (there are a lot of great recordings), Saint-saens Carnival of the Animals!!!!!!, check out recordings from some specific symphonies too! (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, etc.)

That's what I got off the top of my head (and while a bit tipsy) for each of those genres.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
Punk? Look at Gallows. A little on the mathcore side, but still good.

Also, Bernard Hermann's "Twisted Nerve" is a nice little ditty.

Also, "Ditty" as performed by the Blue Devils.

AND, "Inspired" as performed by Rhythm X, "Rise" as performed by Arcadia, and "Angels vs. Demons" as performed by the Cadets.

Those last four are drumline/drumcore based, so you'll have to rip audio off of youtube

Octa

Punk? Look at Gallows. A little on the mathcore side, but still good.

Also, Bernard Hermann's "Twisted Nerve" is a nice little ditty.

Also, "Ditty" as performed by the Blue Devils.

AND, "Inspired" as performed by Rhythm X, "Rise" as performed by Arcadia, and "Angels vs. Demons" as performed by the Cadets.

Those last four are drumline/drumcore based, so you'll have to rip audio off of youtube
And the wonderful world of drum corps is on the table!

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
And the wonderful world of drum corps is on the table!

Of course. Why not? He's a drumline guy, I'd be doing him a disservice to not mention some good stuff.

Actually that reminds me;

The Cadets 2004 show "Dreamscapes." Highest scoring show ever. My pit instructor is in this show :3

The Cavaliers show from this year isn't bad, but it's verging into a general effect heavy show. still has some highly amazing forms and marching, plus the score is as catchy as fuck, albeit can be as gay as a martini laced with rainbows and acid

Kiru-kun

Cutest lil bastard ever
[h=1] Flight Facilities - Crave You (Adventure Club Dubstep Remix) [/h]

Yay, I helped :3

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
Ah, I almost forgot, which is rather awful of me.
Explosions in the Sky has some really beautiful works.
Also, Angel Vivaldi is absolutely orgasmic technometal (instrumental, so you can't complain)
I don't have the title of the track she played along to, but Emannuelle Cappulete has a drum..thing on her youtube page. Very fusiony, very amazing percussion.
also, take some time to look up marimba solos such as "Rain Dance", "Cameleon, "Ultimatum 2", etc.
ADDITIONALLY, There is a Viennese Horn ensemble that does popular music. They even did back to the future!

...at this rate, I think I can take a break from making recommendations.

AlexInsane

I does what I says on the box.
For sheer comedy value:
"Masochism Tango" by Tom Lehrer

Cyril

Post-rock Crusader
POST-ROCK FOR YOU
I'm just gonna name 5 albums you should check out. Generally going for brighter stuff, less dragged out, because that'd probably bore you <.<

Sigur Ros - Takk
Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People

I don't even have that big of a post-rock library yet but what have you here are some great albums.

Also, random dump of albums you should also be interested in:
Anathema - Judgement (Fairly straightforward prog rock/metal)
Ayreon - The Human Equation (The best rock opera, ever. Can't pin a single genre on it, though)
Bodies Of Water - A Certain Feeling (Modern rock with obvious 70's prog influence)
Caligula's Horse - Moments From Ephemeral City (Prog Metal) (Pay What You Want HERE, you can get it free so check it out for sure)
Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 (Rock with some prog influence; it's a LOVE or HATE band so be sure to check out a few songs beforehand)
Devin Townsend - Ghost (Light prog rock)
Dream Theater - Awake (Prog Metal)
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray (Prog Metal)
Haken - Aquarius (Prog Metal)
Kamelot - The Black Halo (Power Metal)
Mastodon - Crack The Skye (Prog Metal)
Oceansize - Frames (Prog Rock) (I highly highly recommend this album, it's one of my top 3 albums of all time)
Opeth - Damnation (Light rock, because you'd hate their other stuff)
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane (Prog rock/metal)
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (Prog rock with slight metal influences)
Radiohead - OK Computer (Mostly straightforward rock)
Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition (Prog Metal)
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium (Prog Rock with a LOT of energy)
Thrice - Beggars (Straightforward rock)
Tool - Lateralus (Prog Metal)
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (Prog Rock)

GUESS WHAT I LISTEN TO A LOT :V

Last edited:

Octa

Of course. Why not? He's a drumline guy, I'd be doing him a disservice to not mention some good stuff.

Actually that reminds me;

The Cadets 2004 show "Dreamscapes." Highest scoring show ever. My pit instructor is in this show :3

The Cavaliers show from this year isn't bad, but it's verging into a general effect heavy show. still has some highly amazing forms and marching, plus the score is as catchy as fuck, albeit can be as gay as a martini laced with rainbows and acid
Not to turn this into a DCI circle-jerk, but Drum Corps is one of the most amazing combinations of art and athleticism. Oh, don't forget Phantom regiment's rendition of Spartacus!

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
I actually forgot to even mention phantom regiment? for real?

My band teacher would slap me in the face; he was a drum major there.

@Cyril: I have moar :V

Cyril

Post-rock Crusader
Even mentioning Phantom Regiment brings up memories of something I'm still a bit sour over, but that's not a story for this place.

Also Tides, more what?

TechnoGypsy

Gentlecolts...
Nyeh! So much songs.

I (being me) would recommend Parov Stelar. It might do nicely to get his entire discography, which is about seven albums.
He does Electro Swing music, and has a lot of groovy, jazztacular and chill songs in his arsenal.
EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9xsoCki4pTk

If you're still liking that genre, then I'll say Caravan Palace.
EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_sBZdSHAIZI

Classical?
I'll say Tchaikovsky. Works of his such as Nutcracker Ballet, El Casanueces and 1812 Overture are brilliant.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
One last thing and then I'll shut up forever

The Swedish band Movitz. Basically as much "hybrid" as you can go, but the result is quite wonderful

I believe this is called the Apple Thief, they also performed on an American show "The Colbert Report"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fIVTH0TiM

Last edited:

Octa

Nyeh! So much songs.

I (being me) would recommend Parov Stelar. It might do nicely to get his entire discography, which is about seven albums.
He does Electro Swing music, and has a lot of groovy, jazztacular and chill songs in his arsenal.
EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9xsoCki4pTk

If you're still liking that genre, then I'll say Caravan Palace.
EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_sBZdSHAIZI

Classical?
I'll say Tchaikovsky. Works of his such as Nutcracker Ballet, El Casanueces and 1812 Overture are brilliant.

Caravan Palace is the shit!