• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Global warming

• Thread starter Okami_No_Heishi
  • Start date
O

Okami_No_Heishi

Do you believe in it? I am not 100% positive human made global warming is true. But I can say this: in my almost 41 years of life I can definitely say our climate IS getting warmer. This Halloween was the warmest in Georgia's history. It used to be a lot cooler during fall and winter here in the deep south. Hell, we had snow flurries on Halloween when I was in 10th grade. And our Homecoming Game when I was in 9th grade, it was 27 degrees F. And it used to pretty much stay below freezing during January and February. Not any more. We're lucky to see below freezing more than two days in a row anymore.

FoxInTheCloset

The Over Caffeinated Vulpine
It is blatantly obvious and scientifically proven. There is nothing to "believe in."
Anyone who says it isn't true is ignorant, or is saying so because if they have to change their ways it will cost them money.

This poor arctic fox will start to burn to death if it gets any hotter where he is.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

It is blatantly obvious and scientifically proven. There is nothing to "believe in."
Anyone who says it isn't true is ignorant, or is saying so because if they have to change their ways it will cost them money.

This poor arctic fox will start to burn to death if it gets any hotter where he is.
I absolutely agree our climate is changing. It IS getting hotter. But is the culprit humans, or just another natural process humans just cant understand? Yeah, we pump out tons of this and that into the air, but is it causing change? Just imagine two hundred years ago when the only way to stay warm was a cozy fireplace. And then coal fired furnaces and boilers. Now hardly anyone uses fireplaces other than for show, and coal fired furnaces and boilers are pretty non existent.

FoxInTheCloset

The Over Caffeinated Vulpine
I absolutely agree our climate is changing. It IS getting hotter. But is the culprit humans, or just another natural process humans just cant understand? Yeah, we pump out tons of this and that into the air, but is it causing change? Just imagine two hundred years ago when the only way to stay warm was a cozy fireplace. And then coal fired furnaces and boilers. Now hardly anyone uses fireplaces other than for show, and coal fired furnaces and boilers are pretty non existent.
The meat industry(cows and pigs etc) and the MASSIVE influx of natural combustion engines in cars are way worse than just coal furnaces used for warmth. Ever since the industrial revolution we have drastically polluted the planet.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

The meat industry(cows and pigs etc) and the MASSIVE influx of natural combustion engines in cars are way worse than just coal furnaces used for warmth. Ever since the industrial revolution we have drastically polluted the planet.
All n the name of progress.

A

Andromedahl

I feel temp changes and stuff over time are a natural process, however manmade stuff like pollution makes it faster, and more severe, making it a bad thing instead of a slow, gentler, normal thing. So we do have blame.
Take what I say with a grain of salt, it's 3 AM and I took my meds a while ago.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

I feel temp changes and stuff over time are a natural process, however manmade stuff like pollution makes it faster, and more severe, making it a bad thing instead of a slow, gentler, normal thing. So we do have blame.
Take what I say with a grain of salt, it's 3 AM and I took my meds a while ago.
It is true. I worry about my children's and their children's futures. Gonna be a hot, crowded, dry place.

D

Deleted member 82554

Some say the Earth is in a state of global cooling, depending on where you live. Had a few record breaking winters here, summers are generally the same and still ain't got no ozone.

Either way, there is no doubt we add to it, but it is a naturally occurring cycle that happens so many x amount of years...

O

Okami_No_Heishi

Some say the Earth is in a state of global cooling, depending on where you live. Had a few record breaking winters here, summers are generally the same and still ain't got no ozone.
Where? All the winters I have seen in the last twenty years have been warmer and warmer.

D

Deleted member 82554

Where? All the winters I have seen in the last twenty years have been warmer and warmer.
I'd rather not disclose my location publically but 2012 was the coldest we had in the last 60 years. We were getting snow at ground level which was rare. When I went to Australia Perth was getting frosts, that was a record for them too...

O

Okami_No_Heishi

I'd rather not disclose my location publically but 2012 was the coldest we had in the last 60 years. We were getting snow at ground level which was rare. When I went to Australia Perth was getting frosts, that was a record for them too...
Sounds like the hemispheres are reversing. Oh well. Honestly, I doubt that humans could reverse the damage already done.

D

Deleted member 82554

Sounds like the hemispheres are reversing
The thought has crossed my mind, but it could be an effect of global warming. Maybe the Earth being slightly knocked off its axis has something to do with it too, not a scientist so not sure...

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BlueWorrior

I hate how people can deny climate change is real despite all the evidence. It's clear that people who say that have an invested interest in keeping things the way they are: trans-national corporations and conservative governments. they benefit by not changing the game plan: keep things the way they are..... even if it's leading us down a path of destruction.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

I hate how people can deny climate change is real despite all the evidence. It's clear that people who say that have an invested interest in keeping things the way they are: trans-national corporations and conservative governments. they benefit by not changing the game plan: keep things the way they are..... even if it's leading us down a path of destruction.
Well of course they'll be the one who can afford to build arks or space stations so they and their rich buddies can survive while the rest of us die.

T

TeslaSkunk

As someone studying environmental science, I can confirm with you all that everything said on here is 100% correct.

It is true that the earth goes through phases of temperature readjustment, not just with ice ages but with the interglacials getting variably hotter and colder through time, and people think this is enough to deny climate change. It is not. Yes these fluctuations exist, but only over hundreds of thousands of years, maybe over epochs, not in the last century as we have been seeing.

Global Warming AND Dimming are occurring simultaneously as a result of our emissions, but not all effects are the same. @Okami_No_Heishi is fully correct in saying that his area is getting warmer and warmer, however @Mr. Fox is also correct that some places can see colder temperatures. It all depends on the geography of the area, without being too specific.

If I dig into the more social side, some people don't want to change their ways, and some just don't know how. Its education that is needed. But we also cannot do that when Corporatocracy's and TNC's make the rules and are perfectly fine with what they are doing despite the growing evidence of misery as a result. They don't want to change their ways, its not profitable, and to quote Tomorrowland, "THAT future, does not ask anything of you today". Whilst at the same time, I do have to give my honest opinion that I think there are too many people on this planet to sustain.

Honestly, I think we've dug ourselves into a hole with no hope of getting out, and right now we've got our heads in the sand trying to ignore the issue. I still want to eventually get into research for renewable energies, but before that, theres going to be a need for a complete overhaul in the way everyone does things. Less thinking more doing. Make a fuss to the government, act on your changes.

T

TeslaSkunk

Now please do excuse me, I have an Atmospheric Chemistry lecture to go to... how ironic :p

O

Okami_No_Heishi

As someone studying environmental science, I can confirm with you all that everything said on here is 100% correct.

It is true that the earth goes through phases of temperature readjustment, not just with ice ages but with the interglacials getting variably hotter and colder through time, and people think this is enough to deny climate change. It is not. Yes these fluctuations exist, but only over hundreds of thousands of years, maybe over epochs, not in the last century as we have been seeing.

Global Warming AND Dimming are occurring simultaneously as a result of our emissions, but not all effects are the same. @Okami_No_Heishi is fully correct in saying that his area is getting warmer and warmer, however @Mr. Fox is also correct that some places can see colder temperatures. It all depends on the geography of the area, without being too specific.

If I dig into the more social side, some people don't want to change their ways, and some just don't know how. Its education that is needed. But we also cannot do that when Corporatocracy's and TNC's make the rules and are perfectly fine with what they are doing despite the growing evidence of misery as a result. They don't want to change their ways, its not profitable, and to quote Tomorrowland, "THAT future, does not ask anything of you today". Whilst at the same time, I do have to give my honest opinion that I think there are too many people on this planet to sustain.

Honestly, I think we've dug ourselves into a hole with no hope of getting out, and right now we've got our heads in the sand trying to ignore the issue. I still want to eventually get into research for renewable energies, but before that, theres going to be a need for a complete overhaul in the way everyone does things. Less thinking more doing. Make a fuss to the government, act on your changes.
Have no fear. Mother nature will take "care" of us sooner or later. Either a plague, another world war, or a super natural disaster will occur to help "thin the heard". Or us humans will destroy ourselves, because we do have a "god complex".

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
The climate have been changing ever since the birth of the planet over 4 billion years ago.

As far as the current climate change: The theory is sound, however, I am not completely convinced it's us that's doing it. Yes, we're polluting our planet like fuckall, however, that doesn't necessarily mean it's solely us that's doing this. It is possible it's a natural occurence regardless of whether or not we were in the picture. We're just slightly speeding things up. For all we know we don't even have any play on what's occuring and it's a natural occurence every tens of thousands of years.

Possible we're gonna see another ice age.

B

BlueWorrior

The climate have been changing ever since the birth of the planet over 4 billion years ago.

As far as the current climate change: The theory is sound, however, I am not completely convinced it's us that's doing it. Yes, we're polluting our planet like fuckall, however, that doesn't necessarily mean it's solely us that's doing this. It is possible it's a natural occurence regardless of whether or not we were in the picture. We're just slightly speeding things up. For all we know we don't even have any play on what's occuring and it's a natural occurence every tens of thousands of years.

Possible we're gonna see another ice age.
believe it or not, we're actually already in an ice age, we have been for 2.6 million years.
and the idea that we're only contributing a small amount has been debunked. while it's true that volcanoes and other natural sources produce CO2, they were a part of a balance, with the same amount being given out and absorbed by the earth. With our emissions however, we've thrown this balance off and now the CO2 levels are climbing way beyond the normal amount.
I would like to recommend this video for anybody who is not totally convinced. He goes through the misconceptions that climate change has. Not meaning to be patronising, It's a great video on the subject:

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
The climate changes naturally over time, with natural periods of warming and cooling throughout history. Mostly, this is a fairly regular process taking place over hundreds of or (more regularly) thousands of years. There are outside influences that can affect the climate (like massive volcanic eruptions or meteor impacts), but normally the changes are slow. What we are seeing is the fastest shift in climate ever documented without some other outside influence. Yes, humanity is speeding up our present warming trend and doing a fuckload of other damage at the same time. We don't have anything lose by trying to lessen our impact on the situation though. But it's foolish to think we can stop it altogether.

D

Deleted member 82554

4:42 knew it.

A shame they didn't go into detail about how the rapid increase in deforestation is having a geographical effect, would have been worth mentioning....

In terms of housing many organizations offer steel frame houses which would decrease the deforestation footprint but would increases the emission of greenhouse gasses and industry.

In any case, we won't be around to see the worst of "global warming"...