• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

God and such

Kobu

This thread jumped out at me a little. I'm not Christian or anything, but I don't see why people should be spewing crap about God's existence. Religion is something people believe in. It is kept in oneself, and isn't the business of anyone else. Saying God doesn't exist to a Catholic means nothing. They're set in their beliefs just as much as one who doesn't believe.
Can I just say that Atheism isn't the absence of Religion, or would I be mindraeping you all? :3
What would Atheism be then? The belief in the absence of religion? Or the belief of nothing?

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
Can I just say that Atheism isn't the absence of Religion, or would I be mindraeping you all? :3

You would be lying.

Lobar

fucking double posts

Pliio8

Has No Compassion
You would be lying.

Theism = Belief in a God
Religion = Adherence to a doctrine or Dogma, not a belief in God
Atheism = Belief in no God (A = No, Theism = Belief in God)
Irreligion = Adherence to no Doctrine or Dogma
Anti-Religion = Hate for the religious
Antitheist = Hate for the beleivers in God.

There are such things as Atheistic Religions, Like Bhuddism, or Gnosticism.

Mindraep? I hope so. This is what I get to show off for two and a half years of Theology class. Actual, fucking knowledge of the subject being discussed.

Hence forth, I can be Atheist, yet still be spiritual.

Equally: Theism =/= Religion
Therefore Atheism Can= Religion

Last edited:

Kobu

Theism = Belief in a God

Mindraep? I hope so. This is what I get to show off for two and a half years of Theology class. Actual, fucking knowledge of the subject being discussed.

That's only true if you break the word into it's roots. Atheism as a whole word means "2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity" (From webster.com).

Corto

I lost your pre-edit post for quoting, but I'm not ignoring it. Your first post was just as legitimately read as rhetorically declaring anyone taking a vocal stance on religion as having a "holier than thou attitude" as it was being read using it as a qualifying statement. I am not accepting fault for your own failure to be unambiguous.

As for schools, I don't know what school taught you that epistemological proof is the only possible way to judge something as true or false, but their lesson plan must have been quite bereft of actual material if they held it to such an impossible standard. It's not something that exists in the real world off paper, yet the rest of us manage to function without it.

Man I don't even care. Did you at least understand what I was trying to say?

Lobar

Theism = Belief in a God

First, atheism is "no belief in god", not "belief in no God". Somehow you managed to break its roots down into "no" and "belief in god" and still rearrange it into the more self-serving "belief in no God". This, after you claimed to have read The God Delusion.

Second, none of that supports your original post as stated. While you can try to take advantage of word roots to use the strictest definition possible and say "theism" is a narrower scope than "religion", atheism still means nothing more than an absence of that entire set of religions. Atheism in and of itself certainly is still not a religion, so your last statement that "atheism can = religion" is false. At best, they are not necessarily mutually exclusive when using your own less commonly used definitions.

mind = not raeped
you = wasted two and a half years of your life

Lobar

Man I don't even care. Did you at least understand what I was trying to say?

I see and understand your distinction now. My post still stands for any among those that agreed with you that read your post as I did (particularly one that almost certainly did). Do you understand that outside teenage rebellion, vocal atheism is motivated by outrage at atrocities such as those I listed and not just trying to be the cool kids?

Corto

I see and understand your distinction now. My post still stands for any among those that agreed with you that read your post as I did (particularly one that almost certainly did). Do you understand that outside teenage rebellion, vocal atheism is motivated by outrage at atrocities such as those I listed and not just trying to be the cool kids?
Actually, yes.

Lobar

I'm posting from a new phone and am obviously having an issue of some sort. I posted this once already but I don't see it now so I hope I'm not double-posting again.

Actually, yes.

Alright. I admit I haven't had decent sleep in days, and if that were not the case I might have been able to read your post more charitably, so I do apologize for my initial hostility.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Somebody mis-defined Atheism - Now this thread is getting interesting!

Kooky words are being made up!

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Interesting... someone purposely starts a religious battle. @ KittyKat

Yes, one that's lasted 6 pages despite its first posts's lack of substance.

Kommodore

well what is it?
But that's JUST AS BAD.

But srsly, fuck you and everyone else that buys into false equivalency just to justify your own apathy.

I disagree. The situations you outlined were actions taken by individuals or factions acting under whatever motivation they have. This is independent from individuals who choose to express their "hollier than tho" attitudes in a strictly verbal/visual sense. Provided you make the qualification that you are referring to the fundies that do not oppress/kill people, a comparison between them and vocal atheists is perfectly legitimate.

Mattqat

Not to state any of my own opinions on religion (because that can only lead to conflict), but we did an interesting proof in my logic class this morning that the fact that the universe is well-ordered (i.e. the laws of physics work, etc.) does not lend any validity to the existence of a creating deity. I don't think anyone's actually made that argument in this thread, but I felt an injection of logic was needed, because logic is one thing threads like this need more of.

Lobar

I disagree. The situations you outlined were actions taken by individuals or factions acting under whatever motivation they have. This is independent from individuals who choose to express their "hollier than tho" attitudes in a strictly verbal/visual sense. Provided you make the qualification that you are referring to the fundies that do not oppress/kill people, a comparison between them and vocal atheists is perfectly legitimate.

It's already been said that I read his post in a way he didn't intend and we've moved on.

Koronikov

Way to help us atheists' image, bro.

Well said

Also if you dis-like Christians the best method about going against them is not raging at them in a forum, the proof of a god will show itself eventually whether or not were fucked when /if this happens is up to the morality of said "god"
*sidenote Athiest

Kobu

Not to state any of my own opinions on religion (because that can only lead to conflict), but we did an interesting proof in my logic class this morning that the fact that the universe is well-ordered (i.e. the laws of physics work, etc.) does not lend any validity to the existence of a creating deity. I don't think anyone's actually made that argument in this thread, but I felt an injection of logic was needed, because logic is one thing threads like this need more of.
Logic and religion don't mix. I don't mean to impose my beliefs, but religion asks one to believe without proof (hence the term faith). Logic proposes we believe... with proof.

Lobar

Logic and religion don't mix. I don't mean to impose my beliefs, but religion asks one to believe without proof (hence the term faith). Logic proposes we believe... with proof.

Hence faith and religion are illogical. Well done.

Akro

Hence faith and religion are illogical. Well done.
But for all Christians who are "CRAZY FOR T3H JESUS" They just say "Fuck logic, I can jump off this cliff and survive if God told me too"
There is no difference between many of the gods of this world... yet they all hate each other.

Also just putting this out there, If god was good, why did Moses go to hell? (In the bible; I used to be christian)

Kobu

But for all Christians who are "CRAZY FOR T3H JESUS" They just say "Fuck logic, I can jump off this cliff and survive if God told me too"
There is no difference between many of the gods of this world... yet they all hate each other.

Also just putting this out there, If god was good, why did Moses go to hell? (In the bible; I used to be christian)
Moses went to hell? I don't recall that being in the bible.

Lobar

Book and chapter:verse? I recall that he was not permitted to cross the Jordan River into the Land of Israel and died there, but not that he went to Hell after. I don't think Hell was even introduced until the New Testament.