• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

God and such

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Book and chapter:verse? I recall that he was not permitted to cross the Jordan River into the Land of Israel and died there, but not that he went to Hell after. I don't think Hell was even introduced until the New Testament.
Some Christians believe that everyone in the OT prior to Jesus went to Hell b/c they weren't Christians (kinda by definition.) The Bible, however, doesn't teach that. Quite the contrary, Acts 17:30 states that God overlooked even the ignorance of the Pagan Greeks prior to the days of Christ. If God was willing to overlook the ignorance of OT pagans, why would He condemn Moses to Hell?

[Edit]Rude of me to not include the actual verse I referenced, and Acts 17:29 as well for context:

Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
Some Christians believe that everyone in the OT prior to Jesus went to Hell b/c they weren't Christians (kinda by definition.) The Bible, however, doesn't teach that. Quite the contrary, Acts 17:30 states that God overlooked even the ignorance of the Pagan Greeks prior to the days of Christ. If God was willing to overlook the ignorance of OT pagans, why would He condemn Moses to Hell?

Personally I think that might be reading Acts a bit too generously, but thanks for the clarification.

Kobu

[Edit]Rude of me to not include the actual verse I referenced, and Acts 17:29 as well for context:

Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.
Reminds me of the joke of the Native American man who asks a priest, "If I didn't know about God, would I go to hell?"
The priest replied, "No, of course not!"
The Native American replied angerly, "Then why did you tell me?!"

Lobar

Kobu

When it cxomes to religion, I think Spider Jerusalem [URL="http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2310/thetruthd.jpg]sums it up pretty well[/URL].
Broken links make me :(.

Kobu

This is what he was trying to link, but I still think this thread needs to die.
It's a bit due to die if we're throwing comics around. ;)

Oh, I think I just helped it. ;(

BlackDragonAlpha

BerserkBlkDragonAlpha
Well, somebody's feeling negative...
I still believe in God. Although, i do have some doubts about him.

...and from thinking too much I thought maybe "God" is humankind's will or God is us humans. We might have created an almighty being due to our longing for a leader/creator. Thinking about that makes me wonder what God really looks like. Will he appear when we all perish in the Apocalypse?( I am not talking about 2012)

damn it! My curiosity just keeps getting bigger! XP

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Fighter of the Nightman
Reminds me of the joke of the Native American man who asks a priest, "If I didn't know about God, would I go to hell?"
The priest replied, "No, of course not!"
The Native American replied angerly, "Then why did you tell me?!"

For the longest time in my life I thought the same thing.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Well, that joke has one flaw: even if God's willing to overlook one's ignorance about His existence or lack thereof, you're still on the hook for your own conduct. That's kinda the whole point of repentance & forgiveness.

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
Weee religion thread
Im agnostic
Dunno what to believe, Im open to just about anything, but I dont think of religion as a super major thing
I was raised Christian, and a lot of the concepts confused me as a child because of how little sense they made, and how I could never get answers for them
I didnt realize I was agnostic until 2 years ago
Im sure my dad wouldnt really care seeing how hes not really religious at all, but my mom might freak if she knew I had a single doubt in my mind about being Christian

Also I pray, but its more of a ritualistic thing since Ive grown accustomed to doing it every night since I was like 5
I think of it as a small vent in a way, so I suppose its somewhat useful for me

Also, YOU AINT GOT NO PANCAKE MIX

Pavi

I'm an agnostic.
I approach all system's of belief with an open mind, and I never outwardly judge or disagree with them. Perhaps engage in a mature, ethical debate but never just shoot them down like I'm some all-knowing fuck who gobbles up opposing views and shits the truth.
Nobody can provide complete, whole, fool-proof evidence to support whatever side they've chose to follow.
So, if you're religious, good for you. Keep believing what you believe.
And if you're non-religious, see above.
It's really as simple as that. Just leave everyone else the hell alone, and keep your self-righteous opinions to yourself.

Last edited:

Lobar

I'm an agnostic.
I approach all system's of belief with an open mind, and I never outwardly judge or disagree with them. Perhaps engage in a mature, ethical debate but never just shoot them down like I'm some all-knowing fuck who gobbles up opposing views and shits the truth.
Nobody can provide complete, whole, fool-proof evidence to support whatever side they've chose to follow.
So, if you're religious, good for you. Keep believing what you believe.
And if you're non-religious, see above.
It's really as simple as that. Just leave everyone else the hell alone, and keep your self-righteous opinions to yourself.

because atheists aren't open-minded now
protip: openminded != letting your brains fall out

LupineStorm

Wow. I can't even believe OP had the nerve to open this thread on the internet. I tried to talk about the decline of mainstream music and got absolutely flame-pwned-zerglingrushed.

Anyway, did anyone bring up the Celestial Teapot yet? It's basically the idea that if I told you there was a teapot orbiting in between Earth and Mars, but too small to see with conventional telescopes, you couldn't possibly prove it didn't exist. However it would be ridiculous for me to say that it MUST exist because you can't prove it wrong. In fact, you would probably dismiss the teapot as garbage and go on with your life.

MichaelFoster

Occasionally enjoys bass >3>
I got myself banned last time I had a conversation on one of these threads. All I'm gonna say is I'll always be a misotheist and god can suck on ma schlong.

Ersatz

Banned
Banned
because atheists aren't open-minded now
The ones who act being atheist actually means anything aren't. They're too far up their own bungs to be. :V

protip: openminded != letting your brains fall out
Since when does everybody use "!=" instead of "=/="? I thought this was a furry forum, not a programming forum. o_O

T

Tewin Follow

For the longest time in my life I thought the same thing.

This.

It's a seriously important observation that people just dismiss.

If not knowing about the Bible God will get you into Heaven, then the most vile, selfish thing Christians can do is spread the word.
Even going on TV or publishing books that may be read by non-Christians should be a terrible thing, because once they know, they're "choosing" not to believe it and thus get to be tortured forever.

Christians who claim that God won't punish ignorant people should be rallying to silence their faith and literally save billions of people from eternal fire.

Tally

I found a new way to deal with Christians.

I tell them to prove that I didn't create the universe, then use their own "beyond comprehension" arguments against whatever reasons they come up with for why I didn't create the universe. It's funny to see them say "that's a stupid argument."

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I found a new way to deal with Christians.

I tell them to prove that I didn't create the universe, then use their own "beyond comprehension" arguments against whatever reasons they come up with for why I didn't create the universe. It's funny to see them say "that's a stupid argument."

If something is beyond the comprehension of someone's glorified ganglion of a brain, then doesn't that make any explanation they pull out of their ass instantly wrong?