• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

God dam it how do I draw shadows!

Subrosa

Recycled words
I'm using Photoshop elements 7,(only thing I have to use) and I'm doing fine except I can't figure out how to add basic shadows to my characters, after hours of fiddleing with tools and searching on google all I can find is how to add drop shadows.

The effect I want is this, there has to be some sort of "darken brush tool" or something, I don't really want to have to pick a darker colour for each thing and carefully draw in the shadows.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
My recommendation: set up another layer on top of your paint layers. Use the color you want for the shading, and set the layer to multiply. That will still allow what you have to show through and add the shading onto it.

Riv

My avatar creeps me out.
"darken brush tool"

Like... the burn tool?

But I would second the other user's suggestions; make a new layer and set it to multiply or darken or burn or something. Painting linearly is so last century.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
Yea and that's what I use but the trick Jwmcd2 suggested is what I needed to know, it seems all to simple to do now, thanks heaps jwmcd2 :3

You're welcome. Simple person gives simple answers.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
I don't really want to have to pick a darker colour for each thing and carefully draw in the shadows.

lol you know I used to do that for years before I discovered what Multiply does.

Plus I used to to ink+colour in Flash, so no layers or effects in that.

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
When using multiply, use a middle grey as your color, don't use the other colors on top of it. It just contrasts the shit outta your work, makes things kinda...intense. You use that grey, and it affects lightness only, not saturation.

<---- my icon, for example, is just that. Multiply w/grey.