• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

God damn producers/ engineers

Cam

Tick my laint
So, I created a new demo for my first album that my label is having me work on..

A couple months ago, I created what was going to be the lead single of the album

This is what I had in mind what the song would sound like

[video=youtube;kQ2qa_BntK8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ2qa_BntK8&feature=channel[/video]

I was totally in love with the beat, so I called my manager and she set me up for a studio date for that weekend

So after 2 short days of recording, I sent my recordings and some samples to my producer and engineer

3 Days later I receive THIS in my email

[video=youtube;cV0eeeiZ3VA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0eeeiZ3VA&feature=channel[/video]

... what the hell happened? ;~;

Its totally different from the epic song I thought I was going to have on my minds

But I got trolled pretty hard...

Is my new recording really that bad? Or am I just flipping a pansy because its not the right sound?

Fiesta_Jack

Calix Meus Inebrians
Yeah, the new shit is... Not good. The audio for the vocals doesn't sound very clean, and the back beat seems dumbed down.

Have you worked with these people before? Whether you have, or you haven't, make it clear that you're not satisfied with it. Shit can be done, otherwise you're capable of letting out the word that they are not the people to work with. They don't want that, so hopefully they're willing to fix that shit.

Cam

Tick my laint
Well I cant spend all this time in a studio, so I normally let my manager take over and she'll send it to some engineers and whatnot

But this is the last time I let that happen...

Although I do admit I should have spent more time in the studio just recording cause I REALLLY dont like the way my voice sounds in this one ><

Yeah, the new shit is... Not good. The audio for the vocals doesn't sound very clean, and the back beat seems dumbed down.

Have you worked with these people before? Whether you have, or you haven't, make it clear that you're not satisfied with it. Shit can be done, otherwise you're capable of letting out the word that they are not the people to work with. They don't want that, so hopefully they're willing to fix that shit.

No, I have no idea who the hell my manager sent these samples too... Im gonna kill her

The vocals are bad on my part though, I didnt spend enough time working on them

Fiesta_Jack

Calix Meus Inebrians
As an honest critique, yeah, they don't sound good. I know how working in studio can be though, time is money, and money is limited. I'd honestly suggest trying to work with them on fixing this shit up. Hopefully that can clear up the beats themselves, but the vocal track does need some work. Either a pitch-shift to ensure you're on your notes, or a chorus effect or something to blend it in a little. Something's definitely sounding off on it though.

Cam

Tick my laint
As an honest critique, yeah, they don't sound good. I know how working in studio can be though, time is money, and money is limited. I'd honestly suggest trying to work with them on fixing this shit up. Hopefully that can clear up the beats themselves, but the vocal track does need some work. Either a pitch-shift to ensure you're on your notes, or a chorus effect or something to blend it in a little. Something's definitely sounding off on it though.

Oh trust me, im very aware its bad xD

Im probably just gonna end up re-doing it all by myself, cause i've noticed when I work completely by myself, not only do I get the sound I want, but it always jsut sounds awesome and the majority of people that listen to it are blown away..

Like this for example

This is the first thing I ever made in my home studio

[video=youtube;L9uJ7RSa7U0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9uJ7RSa7U0&feature=channel[/video]

Fiesta_Jack

Calix Meus Inebrians
That was much better than the sample they gave you. If your home studio is capable of work like that, you could just redo it yourself. However, if you already paid for studio time, and that's the product they gave you, I'd definitely say to make it clear you're unhappy with their work. If they aren't willing to work with you, they are people to avoid in the business. Be sure to let them know you're aware of this.

Cam

Tick my laint
That was much better than the sample they gave you. If your home studio is capable of work like that, you could just redo it yourself. However, if you already paid for studio time, and that's the product they gave you, I'd definitely say to make it clear you're unhappy with their work. If they aren't willing to work with you, they are people to avoid in the business. Be sure to let them know you're aware of this.

I paid to record my voice, so I definitely didnt use my money's worth on it

However, I gotta find out if my manager laid any money down to whoever these jokes are, if so then looks like I gotta force her to talk them them...

If they can give me a sampl without the vocals or drums beat then I can definitely re work it, because the synth and guitar are fine imo

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.
God, I loved yours so much more. The bass beat they had in theirs was annoying. Yours is better; continue it your way!

Cam

Tick my laint
God, I loved yours so much more. The bass beat they had in theirs was annoying. Yours is better; continue it your way!

Thanx

I even sent them that first demo so they could get an idea on what it should sound like

But they put their troll faces on and totally warped my song <_<

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
The job of a good engineer is to be a transparent augmentation - it should sound better technically while retaining the artistic vision. Vocal badness notwithstanding, they changed the feel of the piece drastically. The new tone is that of a song that would be featured on the Disney channel. The generic rock percussion loop is the thing that gets me most (did they just use a stock loop or something?) along with the rhythm guitar that's entirely too major. Not to mention the mixing job is so standard that you could have done it yourself.

You, as the artist, should have creative control (unless you were dumb and signed it away in some contract). Tell them that you're not happy, and tell them why. And for fuck's sake, be your own music producer.

Cam

Tick my laint
The job of a good engineer is to be a transparent augmentation - it should sound better technically while retaining the artistic vision. Vocal badness notwithstanding, they changed the feel of the piece drastically. The new tone is that of a song that would be featured on the Disney channel. The generic rock percussion loop is the thing that gets me most (did they just use a stock loop or something?) along with the rhythm guitar that's entirely too major. Not to mention the mixing job is so standard that you could have done it yourself.

You, as the artist, should have creative control (unless you were dumb and signed it away in some contract). Tell them that you're not happy, and tell them why. And for fuck's sake, be your own music producer.

Knowing who my manager seems to hire for these things, they probably used drumcore from sonar -_-

Thank god my contract allows me in control of everything except booking and advertising, so this should be easy to change.

Im thinking next time I hit the studio, Ill probably just make the instrumental myself before hand than use the studio to simply record my voice, since I only having mizing softwatre, i dont't own a good enough mic for recording

Jude

U1 S7 P106
God, the mixing was horrible. You should definitely find someone else to take your work to.

Cam

Tick my laint
God, the mixing was horrible. You should definitely find someone else to take your work to.

Im taking it to myself, they can lick my scrum xD

Seriously I think im the only person that knows how to produce good beats in the whole company im with

Jude

U1 S7 P106
That's true. Do whatever you think is best man, that's all I can say.

Cam

Tick my laint
I saw my manager today and totally flipped a bitch on her

I told her that Im planning on using the studio for mixing and recording only.... I can produce a beat SO much better than the fucks she hires :v

The DK

♪ I'm on a plain ♪
I saw my manager today and totally flipped a bitch on her

I told her that Im planning on using the studio for mixing and recording only.... I can produce a beat SO much better than the fucks she hires :v

i would have dont the same, god, i mean they butchered it big time. it really is better to do things for yourself cuz your the only one you can truly count on

Lyxen

Revivalst
It's different. It kind of reminds me of a HXC Backstreet N'Sync vibe lol. Keep up with it you'll find your sound

Lyxen

Revivalst
lol. Where/who are you passing these out to? Just to have them online or some venues in your area

kamunt

Justin Bieber Apologist
Yeah, I gotta say, the vocals don't sound very good...There's only so much that can be done to fix that. Without adding, like, vocoders, phasers and such. There's something missing from both the songs, really. They feel somehow "empty". The only time your original track feels "full" is with that panned phaser hit effect. Your version uses far too many stock sounds for my liking. I can hear the FLness pouring out of it. (The guitar sample made my brain groan. :p ) The engineered version sounds more...better. The drums I'm unsure of, at times they sounds great and at others they don't. There's like no bass throughout half of it though, so that's a large part of why the track sounds "empty". Whoever engineered the track really doesn't know how to make beats flow. The verse beat gives a bit more of a "full" feeling to the track, and then it disappears for the chorus. So there's problems with both versions, if it makes you feel any better. :p

Cam

Tick my laint
Yeah, I gotta say, the vocals don't sound very good...There's only so much that can be done to fix that. Without adding, like, vocoders, phasers and such. There's something missing from both the songs, really. They feel somehow "empty". The only time your original track feels "full" is with that panned phaser hit effect. Your version uses far too many stock sounds for my liking. I can hear the FLness pouring out of it. (The guitar sample made my brain groan. :p ) The engineered version sounds more...better. The drums I'm unsure of, at times they sounds great and at others they don't. There's like no bass throughout half of it though, so that's a large part of why the track sounds "empty". Whoever engineered the track really doesn't know how to make beats flow. The verse beat gives a bit more of a "full" feeling to the track, and then it disappears for the chorus. So there's problems with both versions, if it makes you feel any better. :p

My version is nothing but a cheap little demo, usually what I submit to my manager before I begin professional studio quality work

And yes.... its bleeds FL9 xD