• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Good or evil in videogames?

What do you like to be in a videogame as terms of morality?

• I'm the hero, duh!

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I prefer morally in the middle.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Ha ha! I'm the villain!

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I know, real life doesn't work like that, but do you prefer to be the hero or the villain in a game? Do you like games where you're morally ambiguous or if you're flat-out good or evil? IF so, why do you want to be the hero, villain, or in the middle?

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Or skyrim

Yeah, but truth be told I'm not the biggest fan of those games, mostly because a lot of Bethesda's choices are lame. Either everyone is an idiot, or they have one NCR/Legion like faction, or one "clearly it's best to work for these guys" vs "if you work for these guys, they suck."

One reason why I loved Mercenaries 1: Playground of Destruction. on the PS2, you could help the Russian Mafia and they would reward you and you could even get an ending where they win, oh and they were the easiest and literally the funest group to work for. You even get to assassinate journalists for bonus items in their "online" supply shop! :D

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Chaotic Good, is the way I like to describe it. I used to be that anxiety gamer that was afraid to upset anyone and basically tried to be the 'good-only' or 'hero only' route, but then I just grew and realized it was a game and that I should play to have an honest experience. And it's great. Sometimes it really reflects how I'd feel. I don't feel bad for not having the 'best' outcome. I live and learn, and more often than not, discover routes and endings that most others don't seem to take.

If we compare it to elder scrolls games though, I'd probably be considered Evil because of the story that I developed on my first playthrough in Oblivion.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Chaotic Good, is the way I like to describe it. I used to be that anxiety gamer that was afraid to upset anyone and basically tried to be the 'good-only' or 'hero only' route, but then I just grew and realized it was a game and that I should play to have an honest experience. And it's great. Sometimes it really reflects how I'd feel. I don't feel bad for not having the 'best' outcome. I live and learn, and more often than not, discover routes and endings that most others don't seem to take.

If we compare it to elder scrolls games though, I'd probably be considered Evil because of the story that I developed on my first playthrough in Oblivion.

You'd really like my character Grau, she is the Halo gamer who's also the heroine.

I understand though, there are some games where you are basically "forced" to go good route, mostly because the benefit for evil is simply lame. I feel the same with Creasers Legion in Fallout New Vegas.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I do what *I* think is right. The game doesn't always appreciate that. The promise of quest rewards can usually convince me to go along with how somebody else thinks I should be acting, though.

Feel like very few games allow you to take villainous roll without giving you a lesser experience, like they'll have the option but its objectively worse in terms of story or something. There are games that are based around being the bad guy but most of em just take the piss and almost never have a interesting or serious plot or anything.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Feel like very few games allow you to take villainous roll without giving you a lesser experience, like they'll have the option but its objectively worse in terms of story or something. There are games that are based around being the bad guy but most of em just take the piss and almost never have a interesting or serious plot or anything.

Yep! That is why I sort of like Warhammer games like Dawn of War, but you have to play the originals to get a campaign where being the bad guy is actually beneficial. Minus Chaos Rising, but I get what you mean. The problem is there are not a lot of games where being bad is rewarding.

Yep! That is why I sort of like Warhammer games like Dawn of War, but you have to play the originals to get a campaign where being the bad guy is actually beneficial. Minus Chaos Rising, but I get what you mean. The problem is there are not a lot of games where being bad is rewarding.
The only game iv played in the past few years with a actual bad guy plot that's like actually good is defo Brigador. That game pulls so few punches it kinda becomes funny in a satirical way.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
The only game iv played in the past few years with a actual bad guy plot that's like actually good is defo Brigador. That game pulls so few punches it kinda becomes funny in a satirical way.

You can work for the mafia and kill civis in Mercenaries 1, but as far as a villain story you can try Saints Row or maybe the original Mafia series. Plus in Hitmen, you're still killing people.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
I there's a choice, I prefer to unleash pure unfettered brutal mayhem - in defense of the innocents! So I guess, fight fire with fire, or a crusader type maybe.

I used to just play the character as myself and do all the choices I would make irl, so all the boring good choices, since I couldnt bear the fictional characters´ reactions to me being mean.

These days I just decide what kind of character I´m gonna roleplay at the start and make choices the character would make. Weirdly enough the character usually becomes like an anime villain. Not sure if that says something about me tbh...

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Unless it's Dungeon Keeper or something like that, I find it VERY difficult to play evil even in videogames.

Heck, even in Mass Effect I think I only ever took 1-2 Renegade decisions tops, and the one I know for sure was the REALLY blatant one in the second game (the one during Grunt's loyalty mission).

Unfortunately, sometimes videogames' idea of evil and my idea of evil really don't match up.

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Banned
there's no such thing as good and evil merely selfishness and selflessness.

i follow dao.

for some reason it breaks all the western games when i do that.

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf
Not fond of binary choices, in this case good and evil. It's a bit like the Jedi and Sith in Star Wars, two extremes struggling for supremacy. I like to explore morally grey areas, which is like 99% of everything to begin with.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Villain, it is very simple.
You can either feed the dirty peasants which probably live in alcoholism, incest and crime.
Or you can feed your party and get the job done.
Besides I would not do it in real life and that's a video game.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

you westerners need dao

Adrian Gordon

start as the villain but then become the hero