• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Good "quickie" games?

L.Rey

Lucas, the wanderer
Alright listen up NERDS (jk pls don't hate me), I'm curious about finding good "quickie" games to play. Y'know: something that's easy to pick up and put down. Not talking about difficulty, I mean something I could play for like 5 or 10 minutes at most before having to close it. Been a few times where that could've been nice. Suppose one good example is Tetris, though I'd like variety and also something easily accessible. With that said, I'm kinda skeptical about mobile games tbh. Think what I hate most is how some can be SO ad heavy. Anyway, enough rambling, would appreciate feedback. I'm sure there are others here that are curious too.

Kinare

RAWR
What sort of platforms do you have to work with? Just a phone, or do you have any consoles or a PC?

You specifically mentioned mobile games in your post and being skeptical of them. I play 3 different "idle" games. You can f2p them, but mobile games in general tend to be a money sink, so I am curious that if I mentioned those games if you had a little money to invest or if you'd be trying to go full free to play. One of said games can be very involved despite the idle nature, especially the first few days you play, but afterwards you'd only need to spend 10-15 mins a day on it (give or take depending on the event at the time).

I can think of a few PC games too, but will hold until you reply saying if PC is an option for you or not.

Rocket League.

Football with cars, games are 5 minutes long usually unless overtime.

Easy to learn, hard to master.

Game runs on any potato computer bought last 10 years more or less.

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Wordscapes is fun if you like word games

Smash Hit has to be one of my go-tos for games to kill time. It's really basic: just hit pieces of glass with marbles as you move forward and try not to crash into anything. Best part is that there aren't any ads or anything and the only paid feature is being able to save your progress

L.Rey

Lucas, the wanderer
Back home from work, now to answer your behinds.

I would recommend Picross. Very easy to learn and just play for a few minutes of free time. And you can play it on the Nintendo Switch. But be warned this game scales XD.
I don't mind a challenge, as long as it's still fun. Heard of Picross, I'll consider it. ^^

Rocket League.

Football with cars, games are 5 minutes long usually unless overtime.

Easy to learn, hard to master.

Game runs on any potato computer bought last 10 years more or less.
It got popular for a reason, right? Tbh, the idea of playing football wards me away from it. But hey: if I can grow to love Grifball, I'll probably end up liking Rocket League too. Another one to consider.

Wordscapes is fun if you like word games

Smash Hit has to be one of my go-tos for games to kill time. It's really basic: just hit pieces of glass with marbles as you move forward and try not to crash into anything. Best part is that there aren't any ads or anything and the only paid feature is being able to save your progress
Not sure about word games, but Smash Hit sounds like a smashing hit! Had to do it, you may now boo me.

What sort of platforms do you have to work with? Just a phone, or do you have any consoles or a PC?
Saved you for last so I can address everybody. As long as it's a quickie video-game, there's not really a wrong or bad answer herer. I may have started this thread, but it's in everyone's interest, so feel free to share! For myself personally, I'm looking more for mobile I guess. Something I can do on my phone. With that said, I'm still open to pretty much any platform. Rocket League was mentioned, so =P

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
Thomas Was Alone is a fun little platformer that would fit that niche well and get you emotionally interested in blocks, no joke.

Kinare

RAWR
Well then, mobile and PC I shall speak of!

Mobile (Android, not sure about Apple):
1. Ulala Idle Adventure - Idle RPG sort of thing. When you first start, you'll want to be able to set aside a few hours a day to upgrade your character as upgrades come fast, assuming you want to progress well. After the first 3 or so days though, you can get away with just logging in 2-3 times to do quick upgrades as long as you have someone else on your team dedicated to pushing. After the initial beginner season ends, you only need to log in once a day and spend about 30 minutes max and you can spread that out throughout the day if need be. It makes my list because despite being idle there is a lot of new things to do all the time and it is free to play friendly despite the many ways it wants you to spend. If you manage your resources right, you can continue progressing without spending at all. Most things that cost oodles of money are just cosmetic. Downside is the really cool ones are hundreds of dollars at times, so if you like being able to have the best cosmetics you will be sad unless rich.
2. Greening 2 - Pewpew meteors to get resources and "green" a planet, upgrading your tech to do so along the way. You can play this game completely free with optional ads for boosts or pay a little to skip ads forever. Very little time investment required, play at your pace progression, and easy to learn. The music and gameplay are both quite peaceful to me.
3. Fuzzy Seasons - Cute but basic animal collection type game. Very free to play friendly. From what I saw when I played regularly, everything can be obtained for free, but some things will take a very long time to get for free (such as the 2nd area you can hold animals). What does cost money is cheap compared to other mobile games.
4. Pocket Mine 3 - This one can be quite addicting, the gameplay is easy, quick, and it is another one that is very free to play friendly. You can choose to watch ads for boosts. Money cost is about average if you do choose to spend, but I never felt like I needed to since it's not a competitive game, you go at your own pace.
5. Animal Restaurant - Title says exactly what it is. You own a restaurant for animals with animal workers. Easy to get into, requires little time to manage. The only downside to this one is that it does feel necessary to watch ads for some of the boosts, but for me I'd just not pay attention while the ads were playing so it didn't bug me much. I never felt the need to spend money either.

PC:
1. Hidden Folks - It's like "Where's Waldo?" but black and white (with optional yellow tint or white on black) and more things to find than just one guy. Good time sink that you don't feel the need to sink time into. Some of the things are pretty hard to find as you advance into the crowded areas. You can click on other stuff too and most thing have sound effects and animations to them, very neat little game.
2. $10,000,000 - It's a match 3+ type game, but despite the simplicity I really enjoyed it. The music was pretty good and the gameplay was a nice break inbetween other things. My only complaint is that it is a bit short, even if you're bad at these kinda of games you might just hit 20hrs and that's it. I finished all but a couple of achievements in 17 hours.
3. Cat Goes Fishing - You're a cat. You fish. Yep, title is right! Pretty simple, easy to pick up and put down.
4. Osmos - Very chill little strategy sort of game I guess, you go around absorbing things and then win. Easy. Nice calm music too.
5. Dog Sled Saga - Little gem of a game I really want to get back into since they added some features like breeding and more dogs. It has a bit of a learning curve to it, not too bad though. The racing parts don't take much time to do, so you could easily just spend a few minutes on it here and there.

L.Rey

Lucas, the wanderer
Well then, mobile and PC I shall speak of!

Mobile (Android, not sure about Apple):
1. Ulala Idle Adventure - Idle RPG sort of thing. When you first start, you'll want to be able to set aside a few hours a day to upgrade your character as upgrades come fast, assuming you want to progress well. After the first 3 or so days though, you can get away with just logging in 2-3 times to do quick upgrades as long as you have someone else on your team dedicated to pushing. After the initial beginner season ends, you only need to log in once a day and spend about 30 minutes max and you can spread that out throughout the day if need be. It makes my list because despite being idle there is a lot of new things to do all the time and it is free to play friendly despite the many ways it wants you to spend. If you manage your resources right, you can continue progressing without spending at all. Most things that cost oodles of money are just cosmetic. Downside is the really cool ones are hundreds of dollars at times, so if you like being able to have the best cosmetics you will be sad unless rich.
2. Greening 2 - Pewpew meteors to get resources and "green" a planet, upgrading your tech to do so along the way. You can play this game completely free with optional ads for boosts or pay a little to skip ads forever. Very little time investment required, play at your pace progression, and easy to learn. The music and gameplay are both quite peaceful to me.
3. Fuzzy Seasons - Cute but basic animal collection type game. Very free to play friendly. From what I saw when I played regularly, everything can be obtained for free, but some things will take a very long time to get for free (such as the 2nd area you can hold animals). What does cost money is cheap compared to other mobile games.
4. Pocket Mine 3 - This one can be quite addicting, the gameplay is easy, quick, and it is another one that is very free to play friendly. You can choose to watch ads for boosts. Money cost is about average if you do choose to spend, but I never felt like I needed to since it's not a competitive game, you go at your own pace.
5. Animal Restaurant - Title says exactly what it is. You own a restaurant for animals with animal workers. Easy to get into, requires little time to manage. The only downside to this one is that it does feel necessary to watch ads for some of the boosts, but for me I'd just not pay attention while the ads were playing so it didn't bug me much. I never felt the need to spend money either.

PC:
1. Hidden Folks - It's like "Where's Waldo?" but black and white (with optional yellow tint or white on black) and more things to find than just one guy. Good time sink that you don't feel the need to sink time into. Some of the things are pretty hard to find as you advance into the crowded areas. You can click on other stuff too and most thing have sound effects and animations to them, very neat little game.
2. $10,000,000 - It's a match 3+ type game, but despite the simplicity I really enjoyed it. The music was pretty good and the gameplay was a nice break inbetween other things. My only complaint is that it is a bit short, even if you're bad at these kinda of games you might just hit 20hrs and that's it. I finished all but a couple of achievements in 17 hours.
3. Cat Goes Fishing - You're a cat. You fish. Yep, title is right! Pretty simple, easy to pick up and put down.
4. Osmos - Very chill little strategy sort of game I guess, you go around absorbing things and then win. Easy. Nice calm music too.
5. Dog Sled Saga - Little gem of a game I really want to get back into since they added some features like breeding and more dogs. It has a bit of a learning curve to it, not too bad though. The racing parts don't take much time to do, so you could easily just spend a few minutes on it here and there.
Lots of options and very informative, thank you for sharing! =)

Kyrick

Am I the only one who read listen up NERDS in the AVGN's voice lol?

Saved you for last so I can address everybody. As long as it's a quickie video-game, there's not really a wrong or bad answer herer. I may have started this thread, but it's in everyone's interest, so feel free to share! For myself personally, I'm looking more for mobile I guess. Something I can do on my phone. With that said, I'm still open to pretty much any platform. Rocket League was mentioned, so =P

I started typing before reading, but if you don't mind me giving my two cents? A few games across some platforms come to mind.

Pinball.

Audiosurf still gets my attention now and then. Puzzle/racing game where the tracks are generated by what music you load up. Can be any song on your PC.

Runescape (yeah i'm still playing after 15 years) i log on near enough everyday. There's an app for android now as well. Free to play with members option.

Every Extend Extra Extreme:
So this came out on the 360 and the best way to describe it is like Asteroid but timed to your music. The more items you chain to the tempo of your songs the higher the score.

If graphics don't bother you:
Two PS1 games come to mind.
Rage Racer and Kurushi for the playstation were easy to pick up and start off. Had to get a new memory card this week, ( I was playing on the old console) but i could still pick up Rage Racer and start over again while waiting. Can't recommend it enough, awesome soundtrack and nice difficulty curve.
Kurushi (sometimes called Mental Blocks) is a puzzle solving game, you have a wall of cubes moving towards you and have to figure out a way through before they crush you or push you off the stage.
I'm sure they'd be on the Playstation Store/ Steam

I have an old NES and just yesterday picked up Dr. Mario. Kind of like Tetris but you throw pills at different coloured viruses and Mario is standing there so I guess that's why it's called Dr Mario lol (ahh the 90's...). Again, might be available on the Nintendo store or Steam?