• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Got a new(used) laptop...

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
Just wondering what you folks do when you first get a pc? I'm currently updating windows and deleting bloatware. Any programs you recommend deleting or replacing? Definitely finding a McAfee alternative as soon as this updates.

luffy

Administrator
Administrator
Staff Member
I use this Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

I only use Windows Defender.

2b56e24a6a8829d6b6b6887f3687f1be.png

You probably won't need any dev tools. I also get CCLeaner and analyze the PC

Marius Merganser

The Duke of Birds
Windows 10, if that's what you're asking. Sorry, I'm not much of a tech guy ^^'

That's OK. I've been in IT for a few years.

I would recommend clicking the Start button and going into Settings (the little gear icon in the start menu) and then going to the privacy settings. For each entry in the left column, turn off everything (except maybe the microphone and camera if you use them). In the diagnostics & feedback section, set diagnostic data to basic, and scroll down to set the feedback frequency to never. Microsoft doesn't need to know which apps you run and when and know who all your contacts are and all that stuff.

You're also going to want to create your own user account and make it an administrator if you haven't already. I don't suggest using a Microsoft online account. Once you're logged in with your own admin user, you can disable the other users or change their passwords. Can send over details if you like.

I usually install the following free programs on new builds:
Adobe Reader (adobe.com)
Java (java.com)
Firefox (getfirefox.com) is my recommended browser but some people prefer Chrome.
7-zip (7-zip.org)
If you don't have Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc), there's a free, open source program called Libre Office (libreoffice.org)
If you do any image editing, there's an open source program called GIMP (gimp.org) that's similar to Adobe Photoshop.
I suggest installing VLC player (videolan.org) and making that you're default media player.
If you have any Apple devices, you can get iTunes but there's a trick to getting it to work on Windows 10. Let me know, and I'll put that in.
I like to add CutePDF (cutepdf.com). This free program creates a fake printer that lets you convert any document to a PDF file.
If you have some extra monies, I like SecureAnywhere's Webroot Antivirus. webroot.com

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
That's OK. I've been in IT for a few years.

I would recommend clicking the Start button and going into Settings (the little gear icon in the start menu) and then going to the privacy settings. For each entry in the left column, turn off everything (except maybe the microphone and camera if you use them). In the diagnostics & feedback section, set diagnostic data to basic, and scroll down to set the feedback frequency to never. Microsoft doesn't need to know which apps you run and when and know who all your contacts are and all that stuff.

You're also going to want to create your own user account and make it an administrator if you haven't already. I don't suggest using a Microsoft online account. Once you're logged in with your own admin user, you can disable the other users or change their passwords. Can send over details if you like.

I usually install the following free programs on new builds:
Adobe Reader (adobe.com)
Java (java.com)
Firefox (getfirefox.com) is my recommended browser but some people prefer Chrome.
7-zip (7-zip.org)
If you don't have Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc), there's a free, open source program called Libre Office (libreoffice.org)
If you do any image editing, there's an open source program called GIMP (gimp.org) that's similar to Adobe Photoshop.
I suggest installing VLC player (videolan.org) and making that you're default media player.
If you have any Apple devices, you can get iTunes but there's a trick to getting it to work on Windows 10. Let me know, and I'll put that in.
I like to add CutePDF (cutepdf.com). This free program creates a fake printer that lets you convert any document to a PDF file.
If you have some extra monies, I like SecureAnywhere's Webroot Antivirus. webroot.com
I'd done all of the above aside from getting the programs, helpful tho. I've heard good things about Gimp, wondering how it compares to FireAlpaca(which I work with). I don't really bother using iTunes on pc anymore since it no longer lets me remotely install older versions of apps onto my outdated iPad, which was the only real purpose it served for me. Mostly just looking for comprehensive security programs, as McAfee is a pain to work with and most other programs are extremely limited unless you pay for premium.

Marius Merganser

The Duke of Birds
I'd done all of the above aside from getting the programs, helpful tho. I've heard good things about Gimp, wondering how it compares to FireAlpaca(which I work with). I don't really bother using iTunes on pc anymore since it no longer lets me remotely install older versions of apps onto my outdated iPad, which was the only real purpose it served for me. Mostly just looking for comprehensive security programs, as McAfee is a pain to work with and most other programs are extremely limited unless you pay for premium.

Yeah, or they will be very resource intensive.
Malwarebytes is free and it works if you're already infected, but you'll have to pay if you want the real time protection.
If you were going to pay, Webroot is still my recommendation (not a sponsor) and I would stay away from Symantec. Had enough bad experiences with them.

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
Yeah, or they will be very resource intensive.
Malwarebytes is free and it works if you're already infected, but you'll have to pay if you want the real time protection.
If you were going to pay, Webroot is still my recommendation (not a sponsor) and I would stay away from Symantec. Had enough bad experiences with them.
Alright, makes sense. I used malwarebytes on an older pc and it did the job, had just forgotten it. Thanks!

Pastel Gothine

ur local pastel goth

gimp is pretty good, i use it for other effects on certain drawings since ik firealpaca doesnt have a lot of photo editing options (besides a few, such as chromatic abbreviation or Mosaic blur)