• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Gotta hate those long journeys...

Dreaming

Man found alive after spending two months snowed into car.

A Swedish man was dug out alive after being snowed in to his car on a forest track for two months with no food, police and local media reported on Saturday.
The 45-year-old from southern Sweden was found on Friday, emaciated and too weak to utter more than a few words.
He was found not far from the city of Umea in the north of Sweden by snowmobilers who thought they had come across a car wreck until they dug their way to a window and saw movement inside.

The man, who was lying in the back seat in a sleeping bag, said he had been in the car since December 19.

God damn

Teal

Squirrel
I'd probably eat an arm by that point, ffff, I didn't know people could last that long on just water.
If you have water and willpower you can last a long time. Had I been trapped in a car I would have probably killed myself on accident trying to escape. :/

Commiecomrade

Maximum Awesome.
That's just nuts. I can't imagine what it would be like to be trapped in such a small space for 2 months. I wonder if he could even tell the passage of days under all that snow.

I doubt it's truth.
A man at his age would survive about a month without food. A few days relying on glucose, another two weeks, perhaps, on glycogen, a week on bodily fats(In which case fill his stomach with metabolic water as a part of the process of burning fat, at least as far as I remember - very hazardous), and another few days on protiens. He shouldn't be able to utter a few words after burning protien.

Regarding the temperature - A real cold environment would harm his body. I believe that upon reaching total surrounding temperature of below zero, the water in his blood and/or his whole body would freeze -> pretty much immidiate death for him. It's not like he was in statis, preserved.

"A bit like a bear that hibernates. Humans can do that," he said. "He probably had a body temperature of around 31 degrees (Celsius) which the body adjusted to. Due to the low temperature, not much energy was used up."

1) Never heard of human hibernation. Humans can do that? How exactly? We don't have a high efficiency, low energy mode. We just heat ourselves up.
2) Humans NEVER adjust to low temperatures like this. We are not poikilothermic (cold blooded). We always heat ourselves up, as we're homeothermic. Snakes would have their body processes slow and steady, we won't.
Humans will burn additional resources in order to get the body temperature to 36.~ again.

That's only as far as I remember. Prove me wrong, let others know.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
IF this is true then that guy is a really a great survivor.
However two months without food in cold temperatures is impossible. And if the guy was too weak to even speak, where did he get his water? Wouldn't he be too weak to move?

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority
Heard about this on the news yesterday and all I wonder is how he went to the bathroom?

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
If he were a Russian, he would have died from alcohol detox.

veeno

See ya latter ****ers.

Lunar

Son of a WHORE!
Christ. That makes me feel like a fatty, I wouldn't be able to go for that long without food. :<

Ibuuyk

Icon made by Littlerock!
Dude's Swedish, I'm not surprised. He had more than enough belly fat to survive.

Bleedswhitefire

Bubba be addicted to 2 stroke
And that's why I have bags of chips in my truck and a cooler in the back.