• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Greatest Games of All Genres

Namba

So, here my list of what I think are the top games of every genre, and why I think so. Disagree? Feel free to make your own list.

Quest - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Anybody can agree with this, seeing as it is probably the most fun game ever to be released in the entire series... but it's also hella challenging. The coolest part was being able to go through time and see Link (not Zelda, you noob), all grown up and then a kid again by playing the song of time on your ocarina. That's right, a magic ocarina. Bitches love magic ocarinas... however, the forest folk aren't huge fans of dead Doku trees, it seems.

RPG - Final Fantasy II (or Final Fantasy IV, whichever way you look at it)
What can I say except you get to go the fucking moon in this installment? HOW COOL IS THAT???

First Person Shooter - Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Turok 2
You hunt fucking dinosaurs in this one! Well, actually, they aren't exactly dinosaurs... but close enough, right? As Turok, you have a vast number of weapons at your disposal, some that take several shots to kill your enemy and some that blow the fuckers sky high. I know, most would say Goldeneye was the greatest release, but did that one have dinosaurs? Didn't think so. Visually impressive for the time it was released, and very high-rez for the N64 if you have the expansion pack.

Horror - Silent Hill
Yeah, yeah, Resident Evil was the first of the genre but Silent Hill took a very different approach, giving the player a more psychologically challenging experience and a huge number of frustratingly difficult puzzles. Word of advice: if you're not playing on Easy mode, save your ammo or you will never beat the game. They really do make sure you can't win if you waste all your ammo and health drinks, which also means to stay the hell out of trouble and run away from danger unless you absolutely must fight back. Also, be a man! Play the game at night with the lights out. Plenty of nerve-wracking ambiance and chills to go around in this Konami masterpiece.

Platformer - Super Mario Bros.
This Super Nintendo release boasts possibly one of the most enduring titles ever to be released. Just the other day I watched as my 6 year old cousin played the game, which proves that new and shiny toys aren't always the best toys. Not only is it fun as hell, but it's also quite huge. Over 90 levels! Seriously, that's a lot of gameplay. Not only is it massive, but it's also challenging as hell! The New Super Mario Bros. aren't near as challenging (or inspired) as this gem of a title.

Sports - Tony Hawk's Underground
Not only did it had a story line, but it had a good story line. It was the first of its kind to ever attempt such a thing. Also, Sephiroth has nothing on Eric Sparrow, the most underrated video game villain ever to be created. On your quest to go from a local skater punk to pro skating superstar, he is there to undermine your every attempt at becoming a pro all the while pretending to be your best friend. As far as customization, there is no end to your control over what your character looks like. If you want to make him/her disproportionately fucked up, go for it! The possibilities with the scaling tool are endless! The controls are solid and the soundtrack is fucking top. Also, the level designs are so tightly constructed you won't find a single bland space.

Open World - Shadow of the Colossus
A true work of art. It's almost a post-apocalyptic world, with very little life to be found other than you, your horse, the occasional eagle that follows you around, and, of course, giants. A beautifully constructed world with hours of gameplay. All killer, no filler.

Hack n' Slash - God of War
The first thing to be noted is there is very rarely a calm moment in the game, and when things do calm down, you'll find yourself solving mind-numbingly difficult puzzles. The levels are all so perfectly constructed and Kratos is such a badass it makes you want to break some shit after a few hours of playing the game. The story is so well-written and engaging, you'll want to play until the very end to find out what happens next. Blood, violence, sex, and a shitload of special features. What more could you want, really? However, Hack n' Slash isn't a fair categorization of the game, since beating off each monster (no, not like that!) takes a fair bit of mastery of the controls if you're playing on a difficulty level higher than "easy" mode.

Racing - Mario Kart 64
If you don't know what this is or why this is on the list, please, send me the address of the rock you're living under.

Demensa

Characterless sack of potatoes
That's actually not a bad list for the genres you have there, considering how subjective the idea of such a list is...

Seriously, I've just spent 15 minutes trying and failing to make a list of my own because I can never decide on a game for each genre.

On a side note, I'm going to play Shadow of the Colossus soon, since for the past couple of years I've heard continuously from people that it is one of the best games of all time.

Namba

That's actually not a bad list for the genres you have there, considering how subjective the idea of such a list is...

Seriously, I've just spent 15 minutes trying and failing to make a list of my own because I can never decide on a game for each genre.

On a side note, I'm going to play Shadow of the Colossus soon, since for the past couple of years I've heard continuously from people that it is one of the best games of all time.
Dude, it seriously is. If you have a PS3, I'd get it for that since they made some slight modifications, but nothing that affects gameplay. Just some touch-ups here and there.

Demensa

Characterless sack of potatoes
Dude, it seriously is. If you have a PS3, I'd get it for that since they made some slight modifications, but nothing that affects gameplay. Just some touch-ups here and there.

Yeah, I have the Shadow of the Colossus and Ico collection (In fact one of the 5 exclusive titles I bought the PS3 for) but I'm going to finish Borderlands first before I begin.

Also, regarding a list, I might consider Gears of War (Not sure which one...) to be my favourite 3rd person shooter.

For puzzle, I would say Portal, but there's so many good indie games and classics out there...

Mortal Kombat for Fighter? I don't really play fighters, so I wouldn't know.

Ranguvar

I can't commit to a single top game for each genre, so I will list three. I am sort of cheating since many of these categories are sub genres, but whatever. Also many of these games could also be placed into other genres/categories.

FPS: Half Life 2, Dues Ex, System Shock 2

RPG: Planescape: Torment, KOTOR II, Fallout 2

Platformer: Sly Cooper: Thievus Racconus , Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Rayman

Stealth: Thief II, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Hitman Blood Money

Survival Horror: Resident Evil REmake, Silent Hill 2, Alone in the Dark

Adventure: The Dig, Riven, Beneath a Steel Sky

RTS: Company of Heroes, Command & Conquer, Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War

Simulation/Strategy: Wing Commander Heart of the Tiger, Sim City 4, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Action-Adventure: Metroid Prime, Tomb Raider II, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Hack and slash: Diablo, God of War, Witcher 2

Racing: Midnight Club 3, Gran Turismo 5, Burnout 3

Sport: SSX Tricky, TPS 3, NFL 2K1

Last edited:

Alastair Snowpaw

The Skull Paw
Yeah, I have the Shadow of the Colossus and Ico collection (In fact one of the 5 exclusive titles I bought the PS3 for) but I'm going to finish Borderlands first before I begin.

Also, regarding a list, I might consider Gears of War (Not sure which one...) to be my favourite 3rd person shooter.

For puzzle, I would say Portal, but there's so many good indie games and classics out there...

Mortal Kombat for Fighter? I don't really play fighters, so I wouldn't know.
For fighters it's not Mortal Kombat, while it may have a good story it's mechanics and balance aren't that great. For the best fighting game, as someone who plays and knows enough about fighting games, The winner would go to Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown or King of Fighters 13. VF5 just flatout has the best mechanics of any fighting game and no character is unviable, it's a simple to learn game with only 3 buttons, one of them is gaurd but this game has a huge amount of depth and has lots to learn. However KoF13 is also very deep and impressive but not as deep as VF, however it does better in non fighting game aspects of the fighting game like sound effects and story mode.
Also there's a special mention for skullgirls, which while not the best fighting game is an indie game that is on par with pretty much all other fighting games in terms of quality and has more than likley the best tutorial.

Also i generally don't like the ideas of greatest games of all time, since time changes and it tends to lead to very meh things. However i will say i recently played SotC and the controls for the game felt very weird but the game is still an amazing experince that should be played at least once.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Sports - Tony Hawk's Underground
Finally! Finallly!

Also, using the low-gravity code to wall-run up skyscrapers in the Downtown area. <3

And Eric Sparrow was incredible. However, they dun fucked up with Underground 2 and turned Eric's macchiavellian perfection into some sort of comic relief. Underground truly was the last golden game of the series. :/
----
Now, back on topic:

QUEST
This one's really an easy one: Okami. A stunning, unfolding adventure where the image of the goddess of the sun is revived to defeat an unimaginable evil as the end of the world threatens to fall.
It's a story where you revive the souls of people across the land as you struggle with the sins of the world, and it's got stunning character development to boot.

RPG
This one's quick and easy aswell: Pokemon Generation IV. Cynthia remains an incredibly intimidating character, and this is the first time the game ventured out of its comfort zones. The region of Sinnoh is filled with lore and surprises, and how can we ever forget our lord Arceus?

FPS
It's genuinely hard to choose between Big Red One [COD2.5] and Red Faction II. I definitely put more hours into Red Faction II, but Big Red One was where the series started its defining trait of creating atrocities to shock the player, and it was fucking effective at the time, making it definitely more memorable.

HORROR Dino Crisis hands down. :p A game that played on your paranoias - gave you weapons, but refused to let you feel safe. Every creeping corner, every harsh puzzle and every faint rattle of a raptor's breath around the corner was a rush. Not to mention the constant threat of T-REX.

PLATFORMER Yeah, Rayman.

SPORTS
Oh boy, the one I can perhaps provide the least input to. :p Mirrors Edge? If it counts. It's a forgettable plot but the action and soundtrack is genuinely original and fun, and the dystopian setting is disturbingly familiar to reality.

OPEN WORLD Garry's Mod, simply because I stacked 2222.6 hours into it. Hng.

HACKNSLASH Oh shit. I really can't say much here. Tekken, Dungeon Defenders, Devil May Cry I?

RACING Need For Speed Most Wanted, the decade-old original version, not the remake. Seargent Cross is an incredible villain - the most incredible - and the police are genuinely intimidating and scary. They're not just part of the game - these cops will fuck you in the ass with awesome AI. You simply do not have the advantage against these guys, even from the start - and at later levels, where the police are bringing lamborghinis, SUVs, spike-strips which will rip your wheels to shreds and helicopters to the fray - even after all of that, if you're still barely hanging onto your speed (because the moment you don't, you're fucked), the last thing you want to see is Seargent Cross himself and his personal crew chasing you. Shit was serious. Serious fucking business.

Judge Spear

I'll try and keep them short. I'll come back as I remember more genres.

Shooter-Crimzon Clover
Perfect in all ways in my opinion. It has an extremely complex scoring mechanic with the perfect difficulty to match. Bosses were treated as events with lengthy difficult fights and the game features the MOST carnage of any game I've ever seen. It just never gets old.

RPG-Elder Scrolls Skyrim
I'm not big on RPG's. Especially not Japanese ones, but when I played Elder Scrolls Oblivion for the first time I felt this style is what a true Role Playing Game is. Everything is pure choice with nearly nothing, but the video game basics forced upon you. And it was the first game I've ever played with true freedom that retained a goal. Skyrim capitalized on all of these features and while a bit clunky in combat added so much more for me while keeping that reduction on story that drew me in in the first place.

First Person Shooter-Turok Dinosaur Hunter
This is it! My epitome of FPS perfection! The weapons, the enemies, the puzzles, speed, secrets, and bosses of the game made the experience unique from typical Quake clones even if in retrospect it is one itself. It was a smooth game with lovely sepia toned atmosphere that gave the game an earthy living feel as the bright weapons gave it the little bit of color to keep it lively. Finding how to get big guns, what is fake water, where the hidden levels were and the challenge of the game put this as the pinnacle of FPS gaming for me.

Platformer-Yoshi's Island
Depth. That is all. Yoshi's Island was so massively ahead of it's time it should have flopped like most games that tried too much at that time. But instead what we got was a fast paced unique sidescroller that was a brilliant departure from traditional Mario games. A fluent egg throwing mechanic, tight jumping, and tons to collect made the game extremely lengthy and gave millions of possibilities for speed running.

Adventure-Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime blew my mind. It had the right atmosphere that did not stray far from the Metroid appeal a beautiful OST by Kenji Yamamoto, and an interesting take on story. Rather than spoonfeeding it to you, cutscenes were only used to set the stage as optional story bits could be found and even rewarded you for taking the time to do so with gorgeous artwork and minis. This made the story TRULY tie in with the game's theme of exploration since that is first and FOREMOST what the game is known for.

Racing-WipEout PulsE
WipEout has always been the top dog for me in terms of racing. Fast, hectic, and most importantly skillful. PulsE delivers all of these aspects at complete perfection. The speed at phantom class was smooth and difficult yet even the most devastating weapons were balanced out. There are no cheap shots that reward the unskilled and punish the skillful. Even moves such as quake can be avoided with timing and the right speed. WipEout PulsE boasts some of the best music I've seen a developer choose for a game with the addition of letting you switch between YOUR own MP3's on the fly in game. It's tough, sleek, and has loads of lasting appeal and even online downloadable skin customization for every craft.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Action/Adventure - Dark Souls. I don't consider it an RPG because while there are stats and fantasy elements the game is all about the action. Anyway Dark Souls is the best there is and that's all there is to it.

RPG - Final Fantasy IX.

Horror - Silent Hill 3
. Heather is an awesome character.

Hack/Slash - Drakengard.
Certainly not the best, but it's my favorite.

FPS - Bioshock. My favorite of the four or five FPS games I like.

Platformer - Megaman X or Super Ghouls and Ghosts. I love them both so muuuuuuuchh.

Namba

Finally! Finallly!

Also, using the low-gravity code to wall-run up skyscrapers in the Downtown area. <3

And Eric Sparrow was incredible. However, they dun fucked up with Underground 2 and turned Eric's macchiavellian perfection into some sort of comic relief. Underground truly was the last golden game of the series. :/
Man, I totally agree with this. Underground 2 should have been called Viva la Bam: The Game, because it seemed to me it was so focused on Bam Margera and his tasteless sense of humor. I seriously wish they did something different, like maybe made the story more believable instead of turning it into a fantasy. Paulie was... mildly amusing, I guess. I did, however, like the wide selection of levels the game provided. Over 20 fucking levels! That was cool. Although... American Wasteland has to be my second favorite in the series. Then they had to go fuck it up with Project 8 and I forever lost interest in looking into any more Tony Hawk titles.

Greycoat

My personal list. Mostly because I can't remember every great game.

FPS: Halo Reach. Because being able to punch a 12 year old and hear him cry online, while the rest of your team just joins in, is far better than actually winning.

RPG: Fable 1. I was able to kill everyone, including the good guys, and ultimately become the bad guy myself. What game ever gave you that? Dark Souls is pretty high up there as well. Pokemon of course!

Platformer: Super Metroid

Stealth: Splinter Cell Conviction since all I did was stealth punch people. Hitman Blood Money for pretty much the same reason.

Survival Horror: Call of Cthulhu Dark Ends of the Earth. A little dated now, but rarely have I ever encountered a game that forces you to face impossible odds with no one at your back and pretty much not a single weapon.

Adventure: Sam and Max! And Pac-Man2 New Adventures

RTS: Probably my least favorite genre. Starcraft? Yeah... I cant think of many that I play.

Simulation/Strategy: Does Katamari Damacy go here? If not, then the Sims.

Action-Adventure: Batman games. Saints Row. Shadow of the Colossus. Any Rockstar Game.

Hack and slash: Bayonetta. How I play Skyrim. Also how I play Halo Reach.

Racing: Wave Racers, mostly because I don't think I've played a racing game since N64

Sport: NBA Jam.

Side Scrolling Beat-Em-Up: Scott Pilgrim VS the World. Castle Crashers. Streets of Rage!

Last edited:

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
I've played so many games and I can't really remember the names of most, but these are a few of my favourite genres and games:

FPS: Half-Life 1 & 2, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2

RPG: Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR I & II

MMO: Runescape (old RS, 2007 and earlier), The Old Republic, EVE Online

Platformer: Mirror's Edge, Rayman, Zelda, Spyro

Action: Borderlands & Borderlands 2

Sci-Fi: Freelancer, Sins of a Solar Empire, Star Wars, Faster Than Light

Stealth: Thief, Hitman (entire series, <3 it), Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, Assassin's Creed

Horror: L4D, Dead Space

RTS/RTT: Total War series, Company of Heroes, Empire at War, World in Conflict, Battlestations, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

TBS: Total War series, Civilization III

Grand Strategy: Victoria II, Hearts of Iron

Simulation: Anno series, The Sims, Simcity, SimTower

Racing: F1 2012, GRiD, DiRT 1, 2 and 3

Sport: SSX. Definitely SSX.

Sandbox/Open World: Minecraft, GTA (all of them)

There's loads more but I can't recall their names :c

Rivers Bluetail

Furry Little Blue Guy
Here's my take:
FPS:
Halo 1 (before frat boys picked it up...), The whole Battlefield series

RPG: Fallout 3, Elder scrolls series

Platformer: I don't play a ton... Probably the Prince of Persia series though.

Stealth: Hitman Games... Definitely hitman. AC2 and 3 are also pretty good.

Survival Horror: Silent Hill, Dead Space

RTS: Starcraft. Hands down.

Simulation/Strategy: Sims

Action-Adventure: Metroid Prime Series

Racing: Gran Turismo 5, Mario Kart :3

Sport: Fifa series

Sandbox/ Open World: Minecraft and Just Cause 2. Just Cause 2 is literally my favorite game EVER.

I feel like there should a a lot more, but none come to mind.

Caden_The_Dingo

Submissive
I tried thinking of a list... I failed at it so I'll just say Fallout 3 and Resident Evil 4 are great games.

PsychicOtter

Otter Missionary
I haen't played a ton of games, but I can't argue with Ocarina, my all-time favorite. Not sure about the Tony Hawk game, though. There have been great Maddens, NHL, NBA, etc. games over the years.

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR
RPG: Planescape Torment
What can change the nature of a man? A game that turned quite a few common rpg tropes on their heads, a wonderful cast of characters and awesome writing.

Racing: Carmageddon
And I'm not talking about the watered-down zombie-apocalypse bullshit censoring, but the real deal.

FPS: Painkiller
This is shooting like it's supposed to be. You, several unique weapons like a crossbow that fires small trees and a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning, and all the legions of hell. Just ignore the 'story'.

Open World: Thief 2: The Metal Age
'The adventures of the greatest thief the world has never seen.'

Simulation: Dwarf Fortress
Here's seven mentally unstable alcoholics. Go build a fortress.

Last edited:

Symlus

Sophisticated Snake
RPG: Fallout 3 or any of the FF series (Excluding 11,13, and 14)
Fallout 3 was amazing. Nothing more there. Virtually all FF games released on console are good, but 13 was only O.K. (11 and 14 are online games, and I haven't played them.)

Racing: Gran Turismo 5 and Forza.
The best in the business- while Gran Turismo has an ass-load of cars, Forza has all the customization you could ever want.

Adventure: Ratchet and Clank, and Jak.
Rachet and Clank AND Jak and Daxter: the Precursor Legacy were the first two games that actually provided quite a bit of a challenge.

For first person shooters, I'd definitely say Quake 3 Arena.

Simulation: Dwarf Fortress
Here's seven mentally unstable alcoholics. Go build a fortress.

Fucking this.

God damn. I wish I could play Dorf Fort again. It's so addictive, yet so overwhelming. Not to mention I have a horrible attention span. Half of the fucking game experience is reading about what the fuck to do on the wiki.

Last edited: