• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Growing tomatoes - Mystery seedling

ADF

So I'm inexperienced but eager about growing home vegetables, if only as a hobby. I've messed around with it in the past, but this is the first year I'm taking it all seriously and doing everything properly. I currently have all my seedlings sat in propagators, waiting for them to develop enough for transplantation into their own pots.

This is a row of tumbling tomato variety seedlings called hundreds and thousands. I noticed when they first germinated that there was one I could only describe as a runt, very thin and tiny compared to the others. I was about to cull it when my sister insisted that I leave it alone and give it a chance, so I ignored it for the most part. Now that everything is well on its way to their true leaves, I question if it's a tomato at all, it looks nothing like the others...

It's too thin, too tall and its true leaves look nothing like a tomato.

I can only assume it somehow accidentally got into my seed packet, because there is no way it got into the tray on the wind or something. It germinated the same time as the tomatoes, it grew exactly in the row to be one of the ones I planted. Given my lack of experience, there was no reason for me to think of it as anything other than a very weak tomato.

So my question to anyone more experienced is what they think it may be? Just out of curiosity before I pull him, in case it's not a weed but some leafy veg/herb that got accidentally packaged in.

I'd guess its just a different variety of tomato or some other vegetable that got mixed into seed packet by accident. I'd let it grow and see what it is, unless it starts to look like a venus human trap or some thing.

badlands

drunken pirate
it's a stray seed that came in with the compost. some seed survive the process used to make compost

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
I'd say let it grow. It might be something neat.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
If its bothering you carefully transplant it into its own pot before the root system gets to big.

ADF

it's a stray seed that came in with the compost. some seed survive the process used to make compost

I don't think it was in the compost, judging its placement and germination it was more likely mixed with the seed packet somehow.

2 words of advice when growing tomatoes, fertilizer and make sure the soil doesn't dry out.

Pretty much standard plant care :p Though I'm putting together a mix of compost, vermiculite, worm castings, volcanic rock dust and mycorrhizal fungi. Fertiliser as well of course, but most fertilisers don't cover minerals and trace elements just NPK. So giving them as good a potting mix as I can on top of the fertiliser feed.

I'd say let it grow. It might be something neat.

I'll probably end up doing that due to pressure from certain family members alone... It's going to be a bother when it comes to deciding what seedlings to plant on, as they will undoubtedly make a fuss over killing the unselected ones. Yet that's standard practice as recommended by most sites, plant more than you need then pick the best.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Ooooh I guess my suggestion doesn't matter cuz I'm not popufur enough. Pssssshhhhhaw :V

Zoomer

If it came in the pack you were planting then you'd notice if it was something differnent, like a pea or a bean, so it's got to be a seed that's small like a tomato. From that and the way the seedling looks I'm going to guess it could be some kind of pepper seed that got mixed in with the tomatoes at the seed company.

Last edited:

ADF

Ooooh I guess my suggestion doesn't matter cuz I'm not popufur enough. Pssssshhhhhaw :V

They're all going to be transplanted before their roots become too intertwined, they're just growing up a bit first to minimise transplant shock :)

If it came in the pack you were planting then you'd notice if it was something differnent, like a pea or a bean, so it's got to be a seed that's small like a tomatoe. From that and the way the seedling looks I'm going to guess it could be some kind of pepper seed that got mixed in with the tomatoes at the seed company.

Pepper seeds are very different from tomato seeds, so it wouldn't be one of those. The seed would have looked very much like a tomato one for me not to notice.

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
This thread makes me want to start my seedlings now. But I can't because I don't know where I will be in a few months.

Kosdu

This thread makes me want to start my seedlings now. But I can't because I don't know where I will be in a few months.

It wouldn't be that hard to take them with you, just pot them.

Either way, you get good experience in growing them.

@ADF

Silly thought, but wouldn't it be awesome if this was a new species of tomato? I think it'd be possible.

Last edited:

Kvasir

Zumba!!!
Couldn't say other than now I am super curious as to what it looks like. Oh tid bit for you super grower fans, I will be trying this out this year, splicing the root of a tomato with a root of a potato, apparently they get humungous and both help each other bear lots of produce so if you like them or know someone who likes them have at it!