• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Guppies?

ZomgPwn

I have a question for anyone who knows anything about guppies. I have had guppies before, but this has never happened.

In one tank, I have 4 guppies that are about 2 and a half old months old. I tried separating the males and females when they were about 2 months old, but I think I may have gotten a few mixed up, I'm not sure. I kept the females in the tank they were in, and moved the males to another tank.

There is one female that is obviously pregnant, she is getting really big. The others are still normal sized, and I'm assuming they are either not pregnant or males. A few days ago, I saw the pregnant fish biting the tails the other fish. At first I assumed it was nothing, but I watched them for a while and noticed this kept going on for about 3 or 4 minutes. Then I looked at the other fish, and noticed that chunks of their tails were missing. None of the other fish were being aggresive, just her.

I assumed she might be hungry, even though I am sure I am feeding them enough, so I tried feeding them. She ate the food, then went back to biting the other fish.

I took her out and put her in this half gallon net separator thing, and ever since then she has been acting really stressed, swimming really fast constantly. I was thinking she might calm down a bit after a while, but she hasn't at all. The other fish are all calm, none seem aggressive or stressed.

Any ideas on what may be causing this or what I should do would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Comah

From what I've heard it's because pregnant animals (fish included) get more aggressive and territorial. That's my best guess, she just didn't want to have other fishes nearby.

HoneyPup

Potos flavus
Separate her from the others before she causes any more damage. Do you have a tank divider? If not you should get one to put a boundary between her and the other guppies. This will prevent her from harming the others as well as provide her with the security of them being out of her territory.

ZomgPwn

From what I've heard it's because pregnant animals (fish included) get more aggressive and territorial. That's my best guess, she just didn't want to have other fishes nearby.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I just don't know what to do about it besides put her by herself, but I don't know if that's helping. It seems to just make her more stressed.

Separate her from the others before she causes any more damage. Do you have a tank divider? If not you should get one to put a boundary between her and the other guppies. This will prevent her from harming the others as well as provide her with the security of them being out of her territory.

I have one, and she is in it right now. It is only about a half gallon though, so I don't know if it's big enough. And also, she seems really stressed, always darting from one side of the separator to the other. So I don't know if it's a good idea to keep her there or if it could be causing her too much stress.

If anyone thinks pictures or possibly videos of what is happening would help, I could get some easily. ^^

pheonix

back'n up back'n up
The only thing I know about guppies is that if you have a male and female in the same tank a few months later you'll have a dozen. I made this mistake when I was a kid and well...they crowded themselves to death cause I was too young and stupid to do anything about it. Funniest $3 ever spent in my life.

If you have a something to put her in to separate her that'd be your best bet, or just let her let out her rage. She probably wont kill the other fish/s just really annoy them.

Shadowwolf

If there's an aggressor in the tank, no matter what type of fish, you have to remove her unless you want ALL of your fish stressed and some to possibly die. Pregnant females will become territorial, as Comah said, some more than others. It's weird to think about it, but fish also display dominance and have hierarchies just like dog packs do.

If you have a separate tank entirely, it would be best to keep her in there at least until she has the babies. Once the fry are released you can try introducing her back to the original tank, but often times if one fish heavily outweighs the others it will continue to try to dominate them. Sometimes if you "confuse" the fish's old territory by completely rearranging all the plants and ornaments, the curiosity of exploring her new home will cause her to forget her offensive behavior :)

If you don't have a whole separate tank for her, the net cage should be fine until she has her babies. You can float a few leaves from plastic fish ornaments on the surface of the water (or place a similar, fish-safe, leafy obstruction in there with her) so she has a shadow to hide under. That should help her feel a little more secure.

Unfortunately, some mean fish cannot be cured. Fish are a lot more set in their ways than dogs or cats, and they cannot be 'punished' for bad behavior. Best of luck to you!

Zseliq

I tried to breed guppies, awhile ago. They died. :( I should try that again.