• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Hacked account

oniontrain

Horror Generator
Tincrash? Piss someone off? Are you kidding? ^^;

He's one of the nicest people I've talked to online! I highly doubt he'd do anything to offend/piss off anyone...

I don't know any of the people involved, so I'm just asking the first thing that comes to mind. This was obviously purposeful and probably done by a /b/tard of some sort, they love to upload penises. Was he reasonably popular? I assume so. Was there any reason for someone to do this?

How strong was his password?

JamestheDoc

Furry Artist
Damn, seems like a pretty mean security breech. I believe I'll change my passwords when the site gets back up. @__@

So this happened to another account as well?

I'm guessing it's either a talented troll or someone very bored and very douchey.

Ainoko

The Wild And Crazy Hybrid
The question is...

How many accounts were hacked before the site was taken down?

Ainoko

Damn, seems like a pretty mean security breech. I believe I'll change my passwords when the site gets back up. @__@

So this happened to another account as well?

I'm guessing it's either a talented troll or someone very bored and very douchey.

I am agreeing eith you on this, my passwords are going to be changed on ALL websites that I am a member of.

The question is...

How many accounts were hacked before the site was taken down?

Officially known by me? Two.

Total number is unknown. I'm changing my password on all sites I go to at the moment. I don't use the same passwords, however, I haven't rotated recently anyway. No time like the time you're paranoid already!

Oh, and to answer your question, Oniontrain, yes, Tincrash is fairly popular. So... I suppose that would add to the appeal of hacking him.

oniontrain

Horror Generator
I have different passwords for everything anyway. Use strong alphanumeric passwords with multiple case letters in them! I'm definitely changing my FA password now though.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
In addition to the malware removers suggested toward the beginning of the thread, Tincrash should also download and run MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.

Also, he should be keeping up-to-date on patches for his operating system. If it's Windows, then that means Windows Update or Automatic Updates. (If he fears his system won't pass Windows Genuine Advantage, then that rules out Windows Update. That doesn't rule out turning on Automatic Updates as the official Microsoft-recommended way, however, or downloading AutoPatcher or c't Projekte Offline Update as very unofficial ways.)

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Unfortunately, not amount of antivirus/malware software will protect from a cracker....

Even if that's true, even if you're going to be a target anyway, it's still important to make yourself a hard target.

Zeikcied

I think most people would be safe enough to just change the password on the email address associated with the FA account. Or at the very least make sure they aren't the same two passwords.

I mean, I don't think a cracker is going to know what sites you visit or what usernames you use where without access to your email (or at worst your entire computer). Once they get your email, they can look for any site registration notices you've left in there. (Of course, if you use a POP3 email client and don't keep emails on the server, then you're in good shape.)

It's best to err on the side of caution in situations like this, but if you have a strong enough password, you shouldn't be in too much trouble. At least I don't think so.

Ainoko

Well, as I stated earlier, I am in the process of creating new passwords for all accounts on sites that I am a memeber of. The problem is that it will be hard to create unique passwords for 100+ accounts that I visit almost daily, not to mention I have 75 email accounts (mostly used to catch spam)

Ainoko

Yeah, we talked about that, he had the same password on both.

You can find a lot of his stuff on Transfur.

Hope that Timcrash didn't have the same password on transfur as he did on both FA and DA.

Ainoko

Now might be a good time to change your forum password.

Already did that, and have made a dent in changing passwords on accounts that I visit reguarly.

Hope that Timcrash didn't have the same password on transfur as he did on both FA and DA.

I had a friend ask Shadowchaser to lock down Tincrash's account. I'm not sure if Shadowchaser did it, but he was informed. So, his Transfur should be fine. If he can't get into it, I'd recommend emailing Shadowchaser later on.

Ainoko

I had a friend ask Shadowchaser to lock down Tincrash's account. I'm not sure if Shadowchaser did it, but he was informed. So, his Transfur should be fine. If he can't get into it, I'd recommend emailing Shadowchaser later on.

that's good to hear

kamunt

Justin Bieber Apologist
I'm picturing the TF2 Announcer would say of this so-called "hacker" failure.

This seriously isn't even "hacking". Creating fake items in Phantasy Star Online takes more tact than this. I wish I could use the Easy button specifically on chantards like this one to turn them into bags of Spicy Habanero Doritos. At least then I could do something useful with them--throw them in the trash.