• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Hair coloring

Tao

Hare Boi
Blue turns to purple unless you use expensive shampoo, red turns to either pink or ginger depending on the color your hair was before, blonde dries up your hair and will make you bald over time. I've never tried green, though... pretty much the only color I haven't done.

Actually, my blue turns to green. My hair gets bleached before it gets dyed so the blue fades into the blond, making a weird sort of green.

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
I've had mine dark dirty blonde, midnight blue, black, burgundy, bright-ass red, neon pink, blue, and platinum blonde.

Right now, it's platinum blonde with black and brown tips.

And chlorine's effect (that only happened once) to my just-bleached hair was weird.
It didn't turn the blonde green, but it did to the brown in the tips.
Like a bluish mint green.
It didn't look that bad, because it just kind of faded in and out, like an intentional dye job.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I've done my hair a number of times. I've done it black, I've done it green, I've done it a blue/black, and I've done it a plum color.

Don't buy cheap. Do not.

Don't abuse your hair. After the dye job, use lots of the proper conditioner. There are products out there to soothe the damage to recently dyed hair. Especially if you did it a permanent dye, they are very harsh. No hair dryers, ever.

Again, PROPER CARE. Don't let the dye sit in your hair any longer than the directions tell you, or it'll kill your hair. I strongly suggest following the directions you get, if you didn't buy cheap they know what they are talking about.

Make sure you condition your hair plenty, I cannot stress that enough.

Do not bleach your hair, you will regret it. Get a wig if you want a color that won't work with your natural hair color. Or try to work around it. I have very dark hair naturally, so I got a brighter shade of purple to achieve the plum shade.

mrs.ferdo

I've never gotten to dye my hair because of my job. They don't allow un-natural hair colors.
Lame. Because I work at a movie theater. Not an office.

Last edited:

Tao

Hare Boi
Don't buy cheap. Do not.

Don't abuse your hair. After the dye job, use lots of the proper conditioner. There are products out there to soothe the damage to recently dyed hair. Especially if you did it a permanent dye, they are very harsh. No hair dryers, ever.

Again, PROPER CARE. Don't let the dye sit in your hair any longer than the directions tell you, or it'll kill your hair. I strongly suggest following the directions you get, if you didn't buy cheap they know what they are talking about.

You won't have problems like this if you get it done at a salon, FYI since they know how to put it in right and use very good dye (usually)

Adelin

You won't have problems like this if you get it done at a salon, FYI since they know how to put it in right and use very good dye (usually)

Hmmm yeah.......but it kinda feels awkward thinking about the chemicals they use on your hair. :/

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
I've dyed mine various shades of blonde, hated that, then moved to browns, which are...eeehhh, and now i've been with auburns for a while. Though I'm going back to my original color, now, which is a darkish ash blonde.

furvien

Sniper Wolfie
when I first dyed ma hair I dyed it in streaks of like a crison red
which I made the mistake of trying to dye back to brown before school (it turned a dark purple)
then at the next summer I dyed it a neon purple which just sorta mixed with the origonal dyes and made them lighter
then a neon pink for the hell of it (oooo it was fun tryen to get that out 4 skool)
and last year I dyed it a dark crimson again and it just sorta made me back to having brownish hair but ginger/purple when im in sunlight (its fun to try an explain that at skool lol)

an now this year im gonna try an dye it a shade of either purple or blue fur the lulz

T

Tewin Follow

I have some purple hair dye in my room right now.
It won't be obvious, because my hair is dark brown/black, but should look cool in the sun.

Pliio8

Has No Compassion
I got my hair dyed blood red once when I was young. I'm going to get it highlighted because my Mother is forcing me to.

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
That's costs a shitton, though.

I've always just used the $10 boxed sets of dye you can find at like Walmart and Walgreens and shit.
It works well, if you follow the instructions right.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Bronze tips.
:V
I've had a Violet blue color job on my tips....then I cut my dreads.

Tao

Hare Boi

I've always just used the $10 boxed sets of dye you can find at like Walmart and Walgreens and shit.

Well, Iunno about other salons but when I get my hair dyed at mine, it stays in for like 5 months are doesn't make my hair fall out.

T

Tewin Follow

My friend's friend dyed her hair browny orange with white tips to look like a fox.

Furry detected.

SecretDesire

I'm poisonous.

Sorry... Just had to comment. Because I work at Walgreens. *cough* Okay, I'm good.

On topic, I've been dying my hair forever and I LOVE the Loreal preference and Feria lines. BUT I would NOT recommend Feria for first timers since it sticks like crazy to your hair. Seriously, I dyed it chocolate cherry once, got tired of it and wanted to go blonde... Didn't happen. I ended up having to let it grow out and basically cut the rest off.

Subrosa

Recycled words
I have had the following haircuts/colours

bald, mohawk, fauxhawk, twinhawk, bleach blond, black, red, #2, 10" long, dread locks, shapes cut into buzz cut, at the moment it's about 4" long with no colour.

I don't suggest black, only get a mohawk if you're going to put in the effort, colour fades fairly quickly no matter how good the dye is and it costs a decent amount to get it done professionally. Full bleaching stings like a bitch and won't get your hair white, you have to use toner and something else (can't remember), Dreadlocks take a fair while to actually complete and a lot of work.

if you're getting a colour be prepared to have to get it touched up every few months.

Aleu

Deuces
I LOVE going to the salon and getting hair colouring. I recommend it to anyone who's ever wanted to do something new with their hair.

Edit: Mine is brown with blond highlights and dark brown lowlights.
I read this with a stereotypical gay lisp and lol'd

Adelin

My sister dyed her hair enough that it completely lost its natural color. I don't feel like following suit.

<.< This is exactly what i fear.......using chemicals on your hair can damage it. ;C

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
Well, Iunno about other salons but when I get my hair dyed at mine, it stays in for like 5 months are doesn't make my hair fall out.
Staying in or not, I think it costs a lot less than...

Let's see. Touch-ups are usually every three to four months.
That's one box. Maybe 2. In a five-month period.
That's $22, at most. Which is so, soooo much less than what I've seen salons charge, even for trimming your ends.

And again, it doesn't fall out so long as you follow directions, you're gentle with it while it's still mending, you condition the holy fuck out of it,
and you don't re-dye / re-bleach too often.
I did have the mistake of redying mine like every month, before, because I was shampooing with Suave. (Which strips color out of your hair like a motherfucker.) And THEN it fell out. A lot. But I haven't had problems since then like that, on my 4 - 6 month break between touchups.