• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Handhelds are dead?

Is handheld console gaming dead?

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters

Kangamutt

Okay, but for Nintendo to put it's games on mobile devices they would clearly not work with touch screen controls (at least not on smartphones). They'd have to be given an additional code that prevents the games from working without an Android controller.

That wouldn't be too hard for them. Moreso, they could put "CONTROLLER REQUIRED!!!" in the game's description in the store.

But like we'll see a (licensed) Nintendo game on an Android.

Okay, but for Nintendo to put it's games on mobile devices they would clearly not work with touch screen controls (at least not on smartphones). They'd have to be given an additional code that prevents the games from working without an Android controller.

They have an entire line of partially-touch-screen hand-helds, and a whole game console based upon a touch-screen controller. I'm pretty sure they can figure it out if they were to join with Android - Though they could also make a proprietary phone.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
They have an entire line of partially-touch-screen hand-helds, and a whole game console based upon a touch-screen controller. I'm pretty sure they can figure it out if they were to join with Android - Though they could also make a proprietary phone.

That wouldn't work. Nintendo's never made a phone before. Yes they've made toys, a vacuum cleaner, a taxi service, love hotels, playing cards and cartoons, but they've never tried something close enough to a proprietary phone, unless you think the 3DS is close enough to one.

Kangamutt

That wouldn't work. Nintendo's never made a phone before. Yes they've made toys, a vacuum cleaner, a taxi service, love hotels, playing cards and cartoons, but they've never tried something close enough to a proprietary phone, unless you think the 3DS is close enough to one.

It practically is. All it really needs is another antenna built into it to send/receive cellular phone signals. At its current state all the 3DS needs is a downloadable program and you can have video chat through WiFi.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
That actually does sound good. Now, I wonder what are the chances of Nintendo doing that in their next handheld? Probably pretty high, unless they're doing it with the new 3DS that's coming to North America next year.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
The way i see it Nintendo might be able to?make a little money off of phone apps. I remember final fantasy games being sold on phones only and they weren't all that bad either. Maybe Nintendo can get a bit on money by making a pokemon game or something.

Nekokami

As cuckoo as a clock.
The way i see it Nintendo might be able to?make a little money off of phone apps. I remember final fantasy games being sold on phones only and they weren't all that bad either. Maybe Nintendo can get a bit on money by making a pokemon game or something.
That's not how Nintendo works. They'll most likely NEVER make a game for phones. Besides, people use emulators to do that sorta thing for free.

Kangamutt

That's not how Nintendo works. They'll most likely NEVER make a game for phones. Besides, people use emulators to do that sorta thing for free.

They already have released a Pokemon TCG for iOS

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
vita a shit

3DS is doing hella well

smartphones are shittier than the vita, but are doing tremendously well
The Vita is remarkably powerful, I was making a point on power within size, not success of the platform. I am simply implying that "if a vita could do it, a phone could later"

Misomie

Lazy Artist
Those that buy from app stores are expecting cheap and simple games. As for the comment on a large game will never make it to a phone, I'm pretty sure that it was meant to read as, "it'd cost a lot more money and be in the wrong demographic for phone gamers to purchase/enjoy." Handheld gamers and phone gamers are both incredibly different types of video game players.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust

I did think about emulators when i said that but what i meant were these were games that were only available to such app stores. It would of been impossible to get it on a emulator that way. As kangaroo boy said, pokemon already did that...albeit it has some bad reviews.

Schwimmwagen

The Vita is remarkably powerful, I was making a point on power within size, not success of the platform. I am simply implying that "if a vita could do it, a phone could later"

As cool as the Vita may be, its library is suffering from what I hear.

Shame, cos I liked my PSP.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Now there are even articles coming out saying that mobile devices will kill consoles. That's even more stupid than saying handhelds are dead.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
TransformerRobot, please stop making threads about the fate of the video game industry.
I promise the gaming industry is doing okay. Calm down.
The absolute worst you have to worry about is that GamerGate nonsense that's been going around, which will most likely fade away in the coming months and everyone will go back to playing video games like normal.

Handheld gaming for Nintendo is still going strong, while for Sony it was never strong to begin with and both the PSP and Vita have done pretty poorly. That said, the Vita DOES have plenty of anime-y games if you're really into those.
The 3DS has been Nintendo's almost-the-worst selling handheld (except the 2DS and Game Boy Micro, which aren't big surprises) in recent years, and it's been going downhill since the original DS - so I think "success" might be too strong a term, but it's pretty clear that handheld is dying, definitely not dead yet though. People now in their's 20's and 30's will or already have kids, so they can pass on the nostalgia. I'm not too sure that's going to happen when that next generation has kids - Who grew up with smartphones and such, whereas the 20-30 year olds pretty much only had Nintendo.

Now if Nintendo made a smartphone (or licensed out their software, made adaptors and such), then we'd be talking a very interesting move, but eh - Whatever.
It might be one of the worst-selling handhelds for Nintendo, but its still a powerhouse for sales and is holding Nintendo up WAY better than the Wii U is.

And no. No phones. EVER.

RTDragon

RTP User
Now there are even articles coming out saying that mobile devices will kill consoles. That's even more stupid than saying handhelds are dead.

I don't think you understand that mobile gaming is a new thing and is popular there are some things that mobile games can do that handhelds cannot. Plus there's the social media games such as GREE that is very popular.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
*points to financial problems at Rovio Ltd. and the overall lack of challenge in Farmville*

Anymore questions you wanna ask?

But to be fair, maybe one day all console developers will become software-only companies, but likely not for another 30 or 40 years.

RTDragon

RTP User
*points to financial problems at Rovio Ltd. and the overall lack of challenge in Farmville*

Anymore questions you wanna ask?

But to be fair, maybe one day all console developers will become software-only companies, but likely not for another 30 or 40 years.

You posted two companies i was mentioning another company which i am surprised you have not heard of. Social are very popular in other countries besides just the US.

RTDragon

RTP User
That's your problem then. For someone who is bitching over handhelds being dead hasn't even played any of the social games, pay to win, fangames, etc. I've played games made with rpg maker that has long lasting appeal better than the current games. Especially if you think outside the box using the software to it's full advantage.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
I have, actually.

I've played Desktop Defender and Angry Birds. None of the others seem appealing enough for me.

Saying that they should stop making handheld systems is like saying Disney should stop making movies.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
I'm almost certain that TR is a spambot from Nintendo.

RTDragon

RTP User
I have, actually.

I've played Desktop Defender and Angry Birds. None of the others seem appealing enough for me.

Saying that they should stop making handheld systems is like saying Disney should stop making movies.

Then stop defending your one sided argument you have not play enough games of those types to make that kind of statement considering your being ignorant.
But to be honest i would not be surprised your the type of person that goes for gameplay first and story second.

Last edited:

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Well they're video GAMES, not movies.

You want an epic storyline, go pop in a BluRay of Highlander.

I would play more mobile games to be less "one-sided", if most of them didn't look like garbage like Candy Crush or Farmville.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
I'm just gonna stop you right there and point out games like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, The Last of Us, Watchdogs, The Walking Dead, Dragon Age, etc. that all have amazing storylines and great gameplay to go with it. Games can be carried with a good story or good gameplay, but if both sides suck, it only makes for a terrible game. I've always thought that games with both excellent story and gameplay are much better than a good movie, because the experience is interactive rather than passive.

Besides, have you heard of Infinity Blade? It has a decent storyline, great gameplay, excellent visuals, and is mobile only. There was also a Mass Effect game that was mobile only. There are great mobile games if you know where to look for them.