• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Handhelds are dead?

Is handheld console gaming dead?

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters

FreeziePaws

The Bubbly Captain of Butts!
I LOVE my 3DS! I also refuse to let handhelds die. RERF! :3

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
That's your problem then. For someone who is bitching over handhelds being dead hasn't even played any of the social games, pay to win, fangames, etc. I've played games made with rpg maker that has long lasting appeal better than the current games. Especially if you think outside the box using the software to it's full advantage.
To the bold: But...why would you play those? Ever? Pay-to-win is an inherently bad system, and what if you aren't at all interested in playing games with other people?
To the rest: There's certainly some good RPGMaker and fangames out there. But even those games can and have been played on handheld systems before. See Corpse Party for instance.
I don't think you understand that mobile gaming is a new thing and is popular there are some things that mobile games can do that handhelds cannot. Plus there's the social media games such as GREE that is very popular.
What can a phone do that a handheld can't?
Well they're video GAMES, not movies.

You want an epic storyline, go pop in a BluRay of Highlander.
The popularity of JRPGs as a genre likely lies tremendously on their large focus on story. Typically from a gameplay perspective they aren't anything special. Typically, of course.
Speaking of JRPGs, the 3DS and Vita are both swimming in them. (Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor, Etrian Oddysey Untold, Persona Q.....)

Video games, like many mediums, can be used for a large number of purposes and give enjoyment to people in a variety of ways. In terms of storytelling, while it isn't used much, videogames are unique in that a story can be told through interaction with the game itself. And besides that, when playing a game, a story can often give a player a purpose and reason for playing. Why do you want to go out and kill bad guy X? The game tells you why so you have a desire to do so.

Last edited:

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
Handheld gaming is not dead. I went to a convention this weekend that has a 3DS Smash tourney and everybody was looking down at their little green clamshell-shaped systems. I've got to get mine and compete in the tournament.

RTDragon

RTP User
To the bold: But...why would you play those? Ever? Pay-to-win is an inherently bad system, and what if you aren't at all interested in playing games with other people?
To the rest: There's certainly some good RPGMaker and fangames out there. But even those games can and have been played on handheld systems before. See Corpse Party for instance.

What can a phone do that a handheld can't?

The popularity of JRPGs as a genre likely lies tremendously on their large focus on story. Typically from a gameplay perspective they aren't anything special. Typically, of course.
Speaking of JRPGs, the 3DS and Vita are both swimming in them. (Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor, Etrian Oddysey Untold, Persona Q.....)

Video games, like many mediums, can be used for a large number of purposes and give enjoyment to people in a variety of ways. In terms of storytelling, while it isn't used much, videogames are unique in that a story can be told through interaction with the game itself. And besides that, when playing a game, a story can often give a player a purpose and reason for playing. Why do you want to go out and kill bad guy X? The game tells you why so you have a desire to do so.

1. I am playing one right now Soul Calibur Lost Swords the only time i bought something was the last two inventory expansions since i had 180 since playing the game when it was released And i had no need for S class weapons since i can easilly get A+ Class weapon from leveling up a character to 20. And my Rank is at level 68 with 164 AP with 60 AP Potions which i did'nt have to spend to get. So you don't have to spend much if you log in every day.

2. I know about Corpse Party. But i've also played Mad Father and here are some other games you might have not heard of that was made in RPG Maker.
A Blurred Line, Master of the Wind, U.S.G. ~A New Beginning~, Natura, Legacies of Dondoran, etc. And don't even get me started with game i've played on the console rpg maker.

3. As i notice phones do have the touch screen while the 3DS does the same. It seems to be much easier using your finger on a game designed for that than a handheld.

4 TR i'm playing one currently on the PS3 that is considered a visual novel that has voice acting (Tears to Tiara 2 Heir of the Overlord.) Games that have story first game play second usually have deep plots. Especially Western RPG's where the player makes the decision where the story folds.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
A Blurred Line
Good taste.
I started playing that myself a while back. Pretty good, but for some reason the font in game screwed up for me and now its kind of ugly to look at. I'll have to figure out how to fix it.
I'll also have to look into those other games you mentioned.

RTDragon

RTP User
Good taste.
I started playing that myself a while back. Pretty good, but for some reason the font in game screwed up for me and now its kind of ugly to look at. I'll have to figure out how to fix it.
I'll also have to look into those other games you mentioned.

That can be fixed since that is a common problem when playing games on rpg maker 2000 and 2003.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Well none of Nintendo's core games would work right on mobile device, since most customers would obviously not want to fork out extra money for a controller just so they can play the game.

Besides, Nintendo is already making mobile apps that DO work on mobile devices, but they're very casual games and only because that's where much of the former Wii audience went.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
You mean like how you called me one-sided for not wanting to play horrible mobile games like Candy Crush?

So it's okay if you do it, but not if someone else does it?

RTDragon

RTP User
You mean like how you called me one-sided for not wanting to play horrible mobile games like Candy Crush?

So it's okay if you do it, but not if someone else does it?

Here's several problems with you you based this off mostly on nintendo and have no backup proof or reasoning that handhelds are dead.
Especially with your comment here.

Well they're video GAMES, not movies.

You want an epic storyline, go pop in a BluRay of Highlander.

I would play more mobile games to be less "one-sided", if most of them didn't look like garbage like Candy Crush or Farmville.

Let me tell you something you don't know what the hell your talking about TR. For someone who make poll threads and posts here over every little negative thing game related. You failed to realize that gamers these days enjoy story as well as gameplay. If you don't have a good story that the player will enjoy then what is the point of the gameplay and vice versa. So saying mobile gaming is grarbage since you only played two of them makes you quite a hypocrite. But hey i'm just stating my opinion and backing up since i've played video games myself including nintendo, playstation, and handhelds. So i've played far more games than you and most members here played more than me and you combined know what they're talking about.

So next time you dare insult saying games can't be movies, or have storylines. You better have some damn hardproof facts to backup. Considering you have not played many games that have both good stories and gameplay.

Schwimmwagen

I never liked most games that were all about the story.

There's nothing quite like a good story-focused game, however so many of them are built in a way that doesn't let the story part go to its full potential. It's poorly paced, invasive, or its gameplay feels so generic/shallow that it may as well not have been included. And the stories have a tendency to be quite linear and constrained toward the approximate same road/destination. Some newer RPGs have suffered from this, and so has The Walking Dead Season 2. It didn't take long for me to feel like none of my choices in the game even mattered.

I think games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil due to the way they're made/paced/designed are great gametypes that favour narrative and atmosphere. It's hard to put my finger on it. Playing one would probably show you why. Despite the blocky old graphics, the way it engages you and pays attention to details rivals most newer games.

Point n Clicks are also cool, however TWD was so constrained. Maybe the story would be more interesting if it were possible to branch in wildly different directions influenced by your choices. As it stands, the game takes you through the same pathway, just with a different flavour. Characters you have a choice to kill or die will die anyway very soon. The endings also have many similarities.