• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Happy News I just have to share!

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
So I have been battling with my weight for nearly 9 years now. I gained the weight when I was put on anti-depressants, followed by pregnancy *cries*
Long story short, no matter how hard I tried (including all the fad diets and excerise tips) I just got fatter and fatter. Infact, I got so big that I was unable to walk without a walking cane and sometimes even needed a wheelchair to go out with my family.
Last year around July and at 34 years of age, my Dr told me a hard truth.....I had 10 years (maximim) of my life left unless I lose the weight. He recommended Gastric Sleeve Surgery.
I have kids - without hesitation I found a surgeon and by October I went under the knife.

I weighed 142.9kg ( approx 314 pounds) when I had surgery on October 31st 2017. I am now 99.5kg (219 pounds). Thats a total loss of 43.4kg (95.6 pounds).

I no longer need a walking cane. I can play soccer with my son for the first time - and my life will go one much much longer now. I am still losing weight and still have a little more to lose but I am hopeful for the future.

Pffft like who cares? Right?

Yakamaru

Your average Stand enjoyer
This is good news to hear, love. Glad things are going in a direction that you want them to go.

Anti-depressants tend to lower your metabolism in some cases, making you gain weight no matter what you do. I would go under the knife too, knowing the reasons. I wouldn't want to let my kids go without a mother/father either, especially if there are things that can be done about it.

Galatur René

Pantsuit Batty Vampire Lady
That's great news.
I'm currently going though a weight loss journey myself, so it's great to hear someone else's story.
I don't think my situation warrants (or my insurance will cover) me going under the knife, but I have lost 20 lbs so far just from cutting out sugar.
I'm also eating various recipes of gruel...or is it ghile? ( whatever you would call a savory oatmeal mix often with meat of some sort and onions) for my meals. It's a lot tastier than it sounds.
The soluble fibers of the oats helps process carbohydrates and starches so that I don't convert them to fat.
I often include black beans too, just to really skyrocket the soluble fibers.
Fad diets never work. This is just something I decided to do based upon my own research and knowledge of the metabolism as well as knowledge of what kind of diet would be sustainable for me to continue for the rest of my life if need be.

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
This is awesome! I wish you all the luck for you and your kids in the future. :)
Thank you so much!

Glad to read you're having a happier life.
I am indeed :) thank you!

This is good news to hear, love. Glad things are going in a direction that you want them to go.

Anti-depressants tend to lower your metabolism in some cases, making you gain weight no matter what you do. I would go under the knife too, knowing the reasons. I wouldn't want to let my kids go without a mother/father either, especially if there are things that can be done about it.
You are so right! Well said! Also, thank you for your kind words :)

Congrats Gem! This really is amazing news <3
Thank you so much! :)

Good for you, Gem :) that's a lot of progress.
Thank you so much, its not as easy as it sounds too. Some people think surgery is the easy way out, but its actaully harder lol

That's great news.
I'm currently going though a weight loss journey myself, so it's great to hear someone else's story.
I don't think my situation warrants (or my insurance will cover) me going under the knife, but I have lost 20 lbs so far just from cutting out sugar.
I'm also eating various recipes of gruel...or is it ghile? ( whatever you would call a savory oatmeal mix often with meat of some sort and onions) for my meals. It's a lot tastier than it sounds.
The soluble fibers of the oats helps process carbohydrates and starches so that I don't convert them to fat.
I often include black beans too, just to really skyrocket the soluble fibers.
Fad diets never work. This is just something I decided to do based upon my own research and knowledge of the metabolism as well as knowledge of what kind of diet would be sustainable for me to continue for the rest of my life if need be.
Oh well done! Thats an awesome effort so far! Losing weight is not easy at all. Keep up the good work!

I'm happy for you! Being overweight can be dreadful I'd imagine.
Thank you! Yes you imagined correctly - its aweful.

This is good news! Your kids will be much happier too now that you’re able to do more with them.

Congratulations!
Thank you! They really are happier :)

I think I might have a post-liking addiction. Why is everyone so friendly and awesome in this community? (Except the you-know-who's.)
Yes! (except facebook is pretty brutal lol)

That's wonderful news! I'm so glad you were able to overcome your challenges. It must feel amazing to be able to do and enjoy more things in life now, especially when you can enjoy them with your children.
Thank you so much! It certainly does feel amazing! Best decision I ever made.

Thank you everyone for your kind and supporting words!
I LOVE MY SLEEVE!