• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Smityyyy

Happy Pride Month everyone! Please stay safe if y’all will be out and celebrating. I know there’s been a lot of backlash against our community in the recent months… but together we stand strong! Hate against our people will never win.

Does anyone have plans to celebrate this month? Pride-related art? Share it here!

The_Happiest_Husky

I love you all <3 We had a good run
Wheee corporate pandering and nonstop people complaining that pride month shouldnt exist
idfk

Edit. Sorry, Im not normally so negative but damn do I wish pride month was happeining later this year

Smityyyy

Wheee corporate pandering and nonstop people complaining that pride month shouldnt exist
idfk

Edit. Sorry, Im not normally so negative but damn do I wish pride month was happeining later this year
Corporations are always going to pander as long as profit is the main motivation in an economic system. On the bright side, even faux exposure still normalizes marginalized identities. Bringing awareness and integrating these ideas into our society slowly conditions people into acceptance. I see it as a positive.

And I agree on the second point. Lots of people complaining that a marginalized group (which have been facing increasing hate as of recently) are celebrating their civil rights is disgusting. Lots of gross people out there.

I’m trying to stay positive, though. The only way we can make things better for the next generation of LGBT folks is by embracing ourselves and showing that we deserve equal treatment.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
And I agree on the second point. Lots of people complaining that a marginalized group (which have been facing increasing hate as of recently) are celebrating their civil rights is disgusting. Lots of gross people out there.
Maybe I've missed the actual hate stuff going on due to taking steps to prevent a news overload, but the angle I've seen locally is mainly the mistake of mixing up "pride and acceptance" with "their only personality trait", or thinking that one's sexuality (I never hear this one with gender identity for some reason) "just is". It's that much of a sticking point for a worrying number of people and a really tragic mistake to make when someone's trying to dig themselves out of an abuse hole.

There's something else I did want to discuss, but I want to wait for more positives in this thread before I bring out the negative story.

Unfortunately for me, closet door doesn't get properly removed until I get my own place. I'm still going to probably wind up understated rather than the parading type because that's just how I've always been.

Smityyyy

Maybe I've missed the actual hate stuff going on due to taking steps to prevent a news overload, but the angle I've seen locally is mainly the mistake of mixing up "pride and acceptance" with "their only personality trait", or thinking that one's sexuality (I never hear this one with gender identity for some reason) "just is". It's that much of a sticking point for a worrying number of people and a really tragic mistake to make when someone's trying to dig themselves out of an abuse hole.

There's something else I did want to discuss, but I want to wait for more positives in this thread before I bring out the negative story.

Unfortunately for me, closet door doesn't get properly removed until I get my own place. I'm still going to probably wind up understated rather than the parading type because that's just how I've always been.
In the spirit of avoiding politics, I’ll just say a particular party in the USA has passed hundreds of anti-LGBT bills. There’s quite a lot of rhetoric blaming LGBT people for not existing in the way other people want them to. There’s just a lot of dehumanization but a lot of that I really cannot discuss here.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
In the spirit of avoiding politics, I’ll just say a particular party in the USA has passed hundreds of anti-LGBT bills. There’s quite a lot of rhetoric blaming LGBT people for not existing in the way other people want them to. There’s just a lot of dehumanization but a lot of that I really cannot discuss here.
Yeah, that's as far as that needs to go.

Actually, I might as well bring up what I saw happen now while we're on the down note: At a previous job I worked at, I actually ran into my very first case of seeing transphobia in the real world. I was trying to correct someone in another department on a news story (the details of which I will not bring up here) and he just unprompted launched into an anti-trans rant.

I was caught off guard and the only thing I could say to try and stop him (which failed to do much) resulted in me mixing up the concepts of "dysphoria" and "dysmorphia". (Not mutually exclusive, but important to know the difference.)

That office had good-old-boys issues, my actual boss and immediate co-workers have complained for a while about it. I must confess I didn't bring it up with management because it was my last day at said office anyways.

I need better retorts, not so much to stop bigots in their tracks but to minimize their collateral damage.

Baron Tredegar

Master of Forgotten Lore
Guess I will once more be the only person in my family to acknowledge my older brother is bi. And I guess I will have to hear a lot of homophobic people complain due to me living in the south.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Happy Pride Month everyone! Please stay safe if y’all will be out and celebrating. I know there’s been a lot of backlash against our community in the recent months… but together we stand strong! Hate against our people will never win.

Does anyone have plans to celebrate this month? Pride-related art? Share it here!

Hoping if my work goes well and the timing is right to be able to drive to Halifax to take part in their kick-ass pride parade and celebrations. Huge parade planned, the water fountains have rainbow lighting, and who knows what other wild randomness awaits! Woohoo!!! <he starts collecting his coloured nail polishes and collars>

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters
idfk

... it does kind of seem like its to "normal" in some places to the point were its meaning falls away to just purchasing

but at the same time there is hostility aganst it or its perception in other places

the places with the hostility are really were a pride month thing is needed, the places they are just end up as a great "your product here" thing for advertisers

... how did i end up negative like this as well

Rimna

Well-known Monkey
I don't do any celebrations irl because of where I live, but it does feel nice to have a little spot on the internet where I can be myself and say that sometimes I think guys are cute too.

Cheers

Smityyyy

Just to address the couple “corporate pandering” posts I’m seeing here — a topic that, for whatever forsaken reason, seems to spark discourse every June - I think we need to think a little outside of our own biases for a second.

It’s pretty obvious these companies (mostly) do not care about LGBT+ rights. It’s also pretty obvious that any major social movement gets slapped onto brands to make themselves look better and jive with the public discourse better.

However — There are numerous studies and pieces of literature that have concluded that repeated positive exposure to a concept subconsciously creates positive perceptions. In a world where acceptance rates are low or actively facing attack, having the public exposed to LGBT+ symbolism and advocacy in their day-to-day life slowly inches people toward acceptance. And it weeds out those who stubbornly dig their heels in to oppose social progress.

I grew up in a world where LGBT+ was dangerous to be. I grew up in a world where there was no mention of LGBT+ identities outside of mockery or condemnation. I grew up in a world where I wouldn’t have ever DREAMED that someday I would walk into Walmart, pick up a box of cereal, and see openly pro-LGBT packaging. That is amazing to see. And if you’re someone like me who grew up as a marginalized LGBT youth, I’m sure it’s easy to see why this “empty” pandering means great things for us and the generations to follow.

So instead of focusing on “empty” advertising which exists around us 24/7 and is by no means unique to Pride — try to realize that the next generation of children are growing up in a world where they’re actively being exposed to LGBT messaging. A world where they can see they’re not alone.

Alright, I’m done now. Just wanted this to be said.

Nexus Cabler

\ ( :v ) /
It's essential to include the pride party parrots in threads like these. Tis forum tradition.

prideparrot.gif
transparrot.gif
biparrot.gif

quoting_mungo

Wish I could actually go to pride events. Being closited sucks.
Obviously it depends on what events (and attitudes) are local to you, but there's plenty of cishet people who go to at least watch the parades. Only jackasses say allies are not welcome (and those people are, well, jackasses, because gatekeeping sucks so hard and only causes harm). So, like... there's plausible deniability there, if you want to go "a little bit."

Obviously it depends on what events (and attitudes) are local to you, but there's plenty of cishet people who go to at least watch the parades. Only jackasses say allies are not welcome (and those people are, well, jackasses, because gatekeeping sucks so hard and only causes harm). So, like... there's plausible deniability there, if you want to go "a little bit."
Well, since my mom is a homophobe it can't happen.........

Guifrog

Blue frog
Well, since my mom is a homophobe it can't happen.........
When did I say this? o-O

You didn't, my thing has a glitch where if I accidentally press reply I can't undo it. I've tried several ways of deleting it, but it stays.

Baron Tredegar

Master of Forgotten Lore
You didn't, my thing has a glitch where if I accidentally press reply I can't undo it. I've tried several ways of deleting it, but it stays.
Try hitting the edit button. My dads a little homophobic so I know how it feels to be in a household like that.