• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Harbinger's freaky ass pets

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Thought i'd make a thread for the lot of them seeing as i've took way too many pics lately :p
Plus i guess i could update it with whatever's hatched/moulted/shagged/fed/brought i guess :p
Start off with my best shot of some of the rare highlights i keep. My goal is to get enough freaky and rare species breeding to sell at the biggest invertebrate exhibition in the uk in October.

Here's my latest purchase, pretty damn rare and relatively new to the hobby.

14024478285_511af14118_b.jpg

Orchid mantis, male of the pair.

14025802734_8879253647_b.jpg

Desert pebble mantids, these really are freaky mantids, extremely fast aswell, and rare.

14025354955_d20bee4aa9_b.jpg

Giant spiny assassin bugs which are very rare in the UK, got them shipped over from Europe, spent a lot on these in the hopes of getting them breeding, got 13.

13799294993_3893f47e78_c.jpg

Also got an adult pair of stag beetles :p

13783120084_b11b52c0fb_b.jpg

And the Costa Rican katydids are still doing well, bred them a couple of generations now.

13938539373_401c1c8e46_b.jpg

Got plenty more, about 40-50 species, hopefully even more at the next show in May :p

Last edited:
F

FangWarrior

They are pretty freaky, wow, and pretty interesting!

well good luck on your collection! Maaannn I like them all, the first pic is pretty cool.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Thanks all :p
Had a rough count up just now.

54 species 0_0

And here's a quick baby stick insect, this species is a monster, its still very young and already as big as a half grown other stick insect.

14021247621_f9cd0b3963_b.jpg

Last edited:

Greatodyer

Loveable Pony
Wow, they are awesome insects! :D

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
you should trade pets with me

Trade ya some Phyllium jacobsoni for a a Macrochelys temminckii if you got any :p
And if y'all like the big and spiny ones you dont get much bigger and spinier than Jungle nymphs. They are just monsters, they are huge, they only reach about 16cm in body length but they are massively wide and thick, and heavily armoured.
Got 3 pairs, 2 of the females are sub adult and they are already the biggest species i have at the minute (although the one i pictured about gets over 20cm).
Anyway here's the biggest jungle nymph.

13915365346_c2c165e70c_b.jpg

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
And here's a relative of the jungle nymph, the wood nymph.

14118884253_88700e12b6_b.jpg

Wood nymphs are one of the few stick insect genus's you can get more of one species of in captivity, they start off rare and get rarer, i've managed to track down 6, there's one more species left, the rarest.

The giant spiny assassin bugs are doing well, a few are moulting now, for a short time after they moult they are strawberry red all over.

14071942236_997a848708_b.jpg

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
How about metallic ones?

14085428926_44d226719d_b.jpg

Also my Dead leaf mantis played dead the other day and landed like this, think she wanted me to draw her like one of my french girls.

13921979678_e484f88767_b.jpg

Kangamutt

Goddamn, Harb, these things are amazing.

Tica

Lady Sloth
Can you take a picture of your setup? Like, where all the tanks and stuff are? I'm interested to see it

Hjoldir-Hildwulf

One day, yes one day! Mwhahaa!
Here's a question for You Harbinger, I've got two pairs of Heteropteryx dilatata (L3-L4), I've been feeding them on a mix of rhamnum and hedera helix over the winter, but now spring has sprung I've moved them onto just crataegus monogyna. Do you think I should keep up the variety, or leave them to what they're used to?

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
How about metallic ones?

14085428926_44d226719d_b.jpg

Also my Dead leaf mantis played dead the other day and landed like this, think she wanted me to draw her like one of my french girls.

13921979678_e484f88767_b.jpg
As long as they arent bitey, lol.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Here's a question for You Harbinger, I've got two pairs of Heteropteryx dilatata (L3-L4), I've been feeding them on a mix of rhamnum and hedera helix over the winter, but now spring has sprung I've moved them onto just crataegus monogyna. Do you think I should keep up the variety, or leave them to what they're used to?

Holy shit another phasmid keeper :p
I havent heard of anyone keeping Heteropteryx on those foodplants, i know people try ivy with Eurycantha and Carausius before. I think most phasmids are fine on a staple foodplant, i havent noticed any harm in feeding them just bramble or whatever is i they feed on. Mine still get a bit of variety though, when i forget to bramble i top them off with some rose from the garden.
Bramble usually doesnt die off completely here in the UK so there should be some of that around aswell.
Keep any other species?
Got my first adult Heteropteryx the other day funnily enough, a male :)

13921761380_6bc5e8ec57_c.jpg

And batty, the dessert pebble mantids are crazy, never had a mantis try to eat me so much.

Hjoldir-Hildwulf

One day, yes one day! Mwhahaa!
Holy shit another phasmid keeper :p
I havent heard of anyone keeping Heteropteryx on those foodplants, i know people try ivy with Eurycantha and Carausius before. I think most phasmids are fine on a staple foodplant, i havent noticed any harm in feeding them just bramble or whatever is i they feed on. Mine still get a bit of variety though, when i forget to bramble i top them off with some rose from the garden.
Bramble usually doesnt die off completely here in the UK so there should be some of that around aswell.
Keep any other species?
Got my first adult Heteropteryx the other day funnily enough, a male :)

Thanks for the advice :D I like to try and mix their feed up a bit, but too much might be a tad on the overkill side of things.

He's a bit of a looker ;) I've a Young lady who'd love to meet him.

When I was a bit younger I used to keep Extatosoma tiaratum & Phylliidae, but I was always more of a lepidopterist. Ah the fantaboulous moths I've kept over the years. I miss the Attacus Atlas like you wouldn't believe. I also used to own a lovely Grammostola Pulchr. She was a darling. I had to give her to a friend when I worked at sea though. Sad times.

I also keep these darlings regularly.

2012-06-30%2023.35.17.jpg

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Sphinx ligustri?
Nice :D
I've tried a few moths but i havent had any success with them, here's an old pic from a while ago now with my old digital camera.

8687263646_8d03390607_b.jpg

And missed your post Tica, here's some very outdated photo's but its the same kinda arrangement, i sleep on the top bunk whilst some vivs and tanks are on the bottom. Between the cupboard and bed are some beetle tub stacks, there's a new shelf above my bed with spiders and there's the shelf crammed with various frogs and phasmids :p
Once its all cleaned up again i'll get some updated pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/invertsfromhell/5426496670/in/set-72157612818502544
https://www.flickr.com/photos/invertsfromhell/5782540857/in/set-72157612818502544

And yeah when you're changing or adding foodplants with anything you want to have both options available to ween them onto the new addition, plus they might not take to it.

Also got some Phyllium myself at the minute, P.jacobsonii, really need to get P.gigantium again though, they are amazing and i did really well them ^_^

13358370393_336812dbe2_c.jpg

And no Batty these are the dessert ones who try to eat me.

14022065472_597f883da1_c.jpg