• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Has anyone did the Hc Svnt Dracones rpg and is it any good?

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
For a while Ive been wondering if the Hc Svnt Dracones rpg is any good. Ive seen a lot of bad reviews but it seems those mostly just boil down to "furry bad". Has anyone here actually played it and let me know if its worth checking out?

I never heard of it, and going to look into it.

(Just looking at the drivethrurpg page reviews)

It seems like a lot of people like it, main complain is the combat might be a bit clunky, but I'm getting the impression from reviews and not personal experience yet. The example art is pretty nice too. It seems to be at least worth a pdf purchase, which I will do as soon as I get some change together.

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
I never heard of it, and going to look into it.

(Just looking at the drivethrurpg page reviews)

It seems like a lot of people like it, main complain is the combat might be a bit clunky, but I'm getting the impression from reviews and not personal experience yet. The example art is pretty nice too. It seems to be at least worth a pdf purchase, which I will do as soon as I get some change together.
Yeah the art looked pretty good to me too. Clunkiness doesnt bother me too much, ive played 2nd edition DnD.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
Yeah the art looked pretty good to me too. Clunkiness doesnt bother me too much, ive played 2nd edition DnD.
I'll have to have a look.

Hc Svnt Dracones is a case of "I wish". There are so few people near me who want to bother with anything but the most recent D&D.

As for 'clunky'? Can't be any worse than Palladium system, and I played a fairly extended campaign of that once.

That's true, and sadly I'm in the same boat with so few people want to play anything but D&D, and only with humans.

Upside you can always look at the art and read the lore/setting.

On the note of clunky, if from the sounds of it if you can handle Palladium I think you can get a hang of this.

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!
I'll have to have a look.

Hc Svnt Dracones is a case of "I wish". There are so few people near me who want to bother with anything but the most recent D&D.

As for 'clunky'? Can't be any worse than Palladium system, and I played a fairly extended campaign of that once.

That's true, and sadly I'm in the same boat with so few people want to play anything but D&D, and only with humans.

Upside you can always look at the art and read the lore/setting.

On the note of clunky, if from the sounds of it if you can handle Palladium I think you can get a hang of this.
I know how it feels to be with people who want only human or humanoid characters. I once tried to DM a campaign set in the Bionicle universe where everyone would have been playing as alien cyborgs with elemental powers. One of the people completely derailed the entire thing because he kept insisting on playing a female elf. That campaign never went past that initial planning stage.
Luckily me and my dad play DnD together and hes pretty much down for whatever setting I choose as long as he gets to fight people.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
The game's lore is a bit clunky (specifically it tries very hard to ensure no PC's who are Human or Human-adjacent aesthetically, and does not conduct itself well to corporate espionage plots if Modern Fantasy games like Shadowrun are your jam), but as far as mechanics go my understanding is that it's pretty sound. Or in the very least not significantly better or worse than other mainstream options like Pathfinder, Dungeons & Dragons, etcetera.

I bring both those up as some people try to use it as "Furry Shadowrun in SPAAAAACE!" (which is going to require a DM and players willing to take a hatchet to the established lore to get an appropriate aesthetic / organizations to plot bringing down), likewise some people can't turn their brain off enough to go "Lost the entire human genome? Yeah, makes sense."

Zenoth

[redacted by staff]
It's a fun one. My boyfriend actually has sona art in the core rule book from the kickstarter backing ^^ pg84 of the 2.0 core book. 20220601_214422.jpg

Last edited:

Baron Tredegar

Ukraine Strong!

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I played it with my old housemates a few times and it struck us as basically furry answer to Eclipse Phase, which is both bad and good. It's bad in that I think there are certain things in terms of mechanics and lore that Eclipse Phase just does better and the quality of the writing in the first books left a lot to be desired. It's good in that Eclipse Phase plot-wise had a decent formula and copying it somewhat has clearly benefited the game.

The Second Edition is somewhat more polished than first and my RPG group, which is pretty much either not furry or has no strong attachment to the fandom, generally thought it was okay. Everybody agreed the lore could use more work though.

Coincidentally, Eclipse Phase does have options for furry characters, namely uplifts and critters.