• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Has anyone ever changed their fursona completely?

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
I've been pondering changing my fursona more permenantly in the last few weeks, partly because my standard fursona of Kili Kingsley has kinda become more assimilated into his own setting to the point that he is a more of an OC than a standard fursona, whilst it is also partly due to my own creative endevours since I'm in the process of working out how to sell art on it's own and do commissions in the UK where I live. I am currently planning on writing stories based on my fursona given time to sell, meaning eventully there will probably be an image of him posted around whetever I want to or not.

It's got to the point that I'm considering letting him go and using a different fursona I've worked on, initally as a mascot but someone who is becoming more and more like a sona given time. But the thing is, Kili is still me in a way so... I'm kinda uncertain of doing so.

Here is my current sona of Kili, and my mascot sona of the MadWolf respectively:

df82vv9-7212932c-8f01-4a54-a305-374ebcc3f29c.jpg

df0b8fv-2b6399af-93a3-4584-b72b-7cb6c1d7b50b.jpg

Has anyone got any thoughts on this? Or has anyone ever changed out their fursona completely at some point or at least considered it?

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Happens to the best of us. Since I joined the fandom I’ve gone through at least four completely different fursonas. If you want to change your fursona or create an entirely different one, the world is your oyster—there’s nothing wrong with playing around with ideas to see what really clicks ^^

RamblingRenegade

Just a Horse Trying to Avoid Life's Manure
I haven't changed my fursona per SE but I figured when I decided to jump in that dog pieces or partials would be easier to obtain, so I ordered one.. I never got it and they basically took my money and ran I guess just my luck..lol. Anyway my fursona is a horse, I've always wanted that, so I'm having one designed. I just have to save money up to have it made. If my reference sheet ever gets done I can eventually make an icon for myself

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
I haven't changed my fursona per SE but I figured when I decided to jump in that dog pieces or partials would be easier to obtain, so I ordered one.. I never got it and they basically took my money and ran I guess just my luck..lol. Anyway my fursona is a horse, I've always wanted that, so I'm having one designed. I just have to save money up to have it made. If my reference sheet ever gets done I can eventually make an icon for myself
Yeesh… I’m sorry, man. There’s a special seat in hell for scammers who do that. Did you ever file for a refund?

RamblingRenegade

Just a Horse Trying to Avoid Life's Manure
Yeesh… I’m sorry, man. There’s a special seat in hell for scammers who do that. Did you ever file for a refund?
Long story short my ex paid for it with their PayPal. She could ask for one but she said basically serves me right ( she thought me finally admitting that I was a furry was weird) and if she did she's keeping the money because eff me basically

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Long story short my ex paid for it with their PayPal. She could ask for one but she said basically serves me right ( she thought me finally admitting that I was a furry was weird) and if she did she's keeping the money because eff me basically
God. I hope karma comes back to bite them both in the rear =.= I’m lucky to have a fiancé who’s also a furry

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
In a sense. Before I discovered the furry fandom, I had a couple dragon “proto-fursonas” and, after switching to foxes, I went through several ideas before settling on Ridley, more or less as he is now.
During my brony days I pretty much switched to a pegasus ponysona named Whirlwind for a couple years before going back to Ridley.

Dragon64

Mine started out as a dragon but I as I started gaining a greater fondness for wolves I wanted to change it to be a wolf out of a desperate want to and feeling like I need to become as social and outgoing as a wolf. Now my fursona is a wolf and I consider the dragon fursona to be an alternate fursona

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
Akki has changed over the years. He used to be more anthro, now he is larger and more beast-like in appearance, but his temperament is essentially the same. He has also changed color briefly, some different patterns and horn types, all things that I just attributed to him molting.

ArjunCFR

I have never been satisfied with my fursona. I have changed him several times completely. Mainly because I've had to use free-to-use bases that I don't actually like that much and hardly ever been given art that I actually like enough so therefore I get tired of my character's design and completely redo it. This is the downside of not being able to pay with money. I have spent many hours looking for free designs/bases to redesign my fursona simply to do it again afterwards. I hate it, but at least it gives me something to do in my free time.

Inferndragon

Dragon Doodler with a Tail Snake
Originally my character design was a basic feral looking dragon.
Red skinned with 2 horns with black hair.
Eventually started to develop my character more adding more features trying to develop it adding elven style ears and neckplating.
Eventually made my character in to a lizardman similar to a character i created in Divinity Original Sin 2.
Hired Nyhgault to work on my character which refined my idea abit...
Then started to sketch my own version of it by trying to visualise from a different angle:
1543423175.inferndragon_start5.png

Then starting 2 years ago I then started working on a basic reference of my character:
1662560687.inferndragon_infern_avatar_2020.jpg

Eventually drew a more buff version of my character (NSFW) for a roleplaying site due to one of my friends convincing me too.
Then over the past couple of months i've had other people draw my character more often as they liked the head design.
1610087971.inferndragon_sketch.jpg

Characters evolve over time. Our interests change. We get better at drawing. So we start getting more critical of our own art.
Changing designs to fit for purpose.

Kain

The first thing I had that could be called a fursona was my avatar on Furcadia, which was a white big cat with blue stripes. It later became a dragon.
I played at having a pokesona for a while, a Bulbasaur.
I've had my current one for about 7 years now. A North American River Otter.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
Thanks for sharing this stuff folks! I think we all appreciate the sharing of those details.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to adopt the MadWolf in general as my fursona, especially since I've just drawn a practice head a short time ago that I'm using as an avatar in places.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Has anyone got any thoughts on this? Or has anyone ever changed out their fursona completely at some point or at least considered it?

In the days before the internet during college and before I even heard the word "fursona", on a nature-lover pagan chat BBS board I frequented I would go as a Black Mamba serpent fursona in any RP's still called Mambi (named after my 12 foot stuffed serpent which I still have), even though I personally still felt feline as always. Aside from cats, serpents are my other favourite animal so it fit at the time. (would that be a "scalesona" then? At the time, "furry" didn't exist as a term nor did anyone really

Eventually though it was easier to just be Mambi as a feline since I felt like him anyway inside. Some of the original ideas carried through to my current sona mind you (my personal hell-like realm and portal ability for example) while others were left behind as appropriate (fangs with tranq fluid, realm 100% the hell dimension and not the current tech/magic one, no Aurora nor long lifespan, ink-clad human and demon female servants, etc..)

But I still think back to those days with a warm smile. You can change your sona however you wish in any way you wish. That's the freedom of creativity!

Guifrog

Blue frog
Being a frog representation of myself, my sona personality changes along with me. I have changed a lot over the years, but visually, I don't think I have ever made any significant modifications since I first came to know about the furry fandom.

Before that, though, I used to be a random green frog on the Internet that looked like this (pic from about 15 years ago):

GuifrogAdvancedVersion1.png

I was inspired by Battletoads back then.

This is what I look like today:

SstCwEt.jpg

TrixieFox

Blood Rose Faction Leader
Yep

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
I briefly changed to a sheep from husky but then changed back. DA didn't let me changed my username but FA was the same. It was mostly to try it for a bit. Of course, there's no rule saying you can't have multiple versions.