• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Have you ever changed your sona’s name? How did you pick it?

Been wanting to change my fursona’s name for a while, but I’m rather unsure about it and the process to find one that sticks. As the title asks, have you ever changed a name before? What do you consider when naming a character?

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
I believe it's best not to overthink it, the more natural it feels when you're being referred to is personally what I think is best. Mine sona's name, Cain, has no actual meaning, just whatever felt natural to me to hear.
The more natural it feels to you the less of a chance you'll question your name and change it again (not that there's anything wrong with that)
When you hear your name you want to subconsciously feel, "hey yeah, that's me."
If a name feels wrong or just, off, try something different that just feels... Right.

When I was naming my sona I was either going to go with Tobias(Toby) or Kaleb.
Looking at them now the thought of someone referring to me as Toby just feels, off.

I believe it's best not to overthink it, the more natural it feels when you're being referred to is personally what I think is best. Mine sona's name, Cain, has no actual meaning, just whatever felt natural to me to hear.
The more natural it feels to you the less of a chance you'll question your name and change it again (not that there's anything wrong with that)
When you hear your name you want to subconsciously feel, "hey yeah, that's me."
If a name feels wrong or just, off, try something different that just feels... Right.

When I was naming my sona I was either going to go with Tobias(Toby) or Kaleb.
Looking at them now the thought of someone referring to me as Toby just feels, off.
Thats some really good insight!
Tacoma felt fine to me at first, but now It’s starting to feel unnatural and off.

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
Thats some really good insight!
Tacoma felt fine to me at first, but now It’s starting to feel unnatural and off.

I also got, bad news unfortunately.
If you do plan to change your name you may want to create a new account because I believe that you're unable to change your username (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) So it's always going to be TacomaTheDeer

Lexiand

Werewolf a Tophat
Lexiand was the first name and I'm still staying with it

I also got, bad news unfortunately.
If you do plan to change your name you may want to create a new account because I believe that you're unable to change your username (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) So it's always going to be TacomaTheDeer
(Yeah, I’m aware :/ (should’ve considered the name mightve not stuck forever when I initally created the account)) (Staying on this account tho)

Ah, well if you settle on a name you can just put in the little subscript that goes underneath the username "call me ____."
Problem Solved
Yeah, who knows? I’ll stick to this name unless one hits my face that I really like.
Maybe it’s like those times when you think of a word for too long, and it seems really weird
(Anyone else do that?)

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
Yeah, who knows? I’ll stick to this name unless one hits my face that I really like.
Maybe it’s like those times when you think of a word for too long, and it seems really weird
(Anyone else do that?)

All the time. Again, try not to overthink it. It's like staring at a mirror for way too long and then you disassociate. F U N.
Kuu bein chunky.PNG

I really do think it's a good name, man. Has a country/rugged sound to it which is perfect for a deer.
Never thought of it that way! Thanks! UwU

Trndsttr

Yeet
See I initially named my fursona Skycoder, but now I can’t decide if I want to keep it, or hangs it to Calavera. Oof.

Tyll'a

Stubborn Caracal
Tyll'a was originally an RP character in FFXIV, and I kept to Keeper of the Moon naming conventions (Tyll'a's mother was named Tyll, and he was her first - and only - son, so he was named Tyll'a, which literally means "first son of Tyll"). That said, different incarnations sometimes have some variant on the Tyll'a name.

Kylan Velpa

Cyan Gentle-fox
Banned
When I make a first name I want it to sound cool. So I make it sound cool. But it has to sound right too. I used the chilled out name Kylan for a chilled out guy.

With last names I give them some meaning. Velpa obviously comes from the Latin Vulpes vulpes because of Kylan being a fox

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I’ve completely changed sonas before. It’s why i just use the same username on everything instead of a character name. And honestly LV is feeling less and less like a sona, I just still like their art representing me.

But for you, you could always have Tacoma being your sonas surname. It’s a name people use all the time to be polite, but his given name is whatever you come up with.

I’ve completely changed sonas before. It’s why i just use the same username on everything instead of a character name. And honestly LV is feeling less and less like a sona, I just still like their art representing me.

But for you, you could always have Tacoma being your sonas surname. It’s a name people use all the time to be polite, but his given name is whatever you come up with.
I’ve decided to keep the name, but changing my username to be more widefitting sounds like a great idea.

Zehlua

Magepunk Fashionisto
My fursona and I had the same name for a while, but I was jealous of all the people who had a separate name for their character. So I named him Zehlua, after my name IRL and the Kahlua drink (I like the sound of it)
Kalooki used to be Peluche, but I wanted their nickname to be Klooky Plooky, so there ya go
LUSK and Sasha just fell out of the sky one day.
I'm sure I have more fursonas in me, but my main two (Zehlua and Kalooki) are all I can handle at the moment!

The Matte-Black Cat

Dark/Psychic-Timid Nature-Often lost in thought
I was originally a black tiger with white stripes, so I called myself Black-Tigress. But because I consider myself more weird and mysterious now days, I lost my stripes and just call myself "The" Matte-Black Cat..I don't exactly have a public name since my fursona is technically me..But Matte-Black came from me loving how matte-black wrap / paint looks on cars :cool: