• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Have you ever eaten a military ration or an MRE?

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
They've sold them long time ago back in 2009 at a local military store, while not something I'd normally eat they were interesting.

O

O.D.D.

Once, brother dragged home a few for some reason

Never again, they didn't taste bad or anything but... they're not something you want to eat on a daily basis unless you're doing some crazy levels of exertion and don't have access to a mess hall or kitchen or whatever

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Military rations are better than they used to be. My dad once brought me a box home and I was expecting it to be dried meats and fruits and canned foods for survival life.

Looked like a regular lunch for an adult, to me. Poptarts. Juice box. Apple/orange. Sandwich. A small snack like crackers or something. Nothing unusual.

O

O.D.D.

The thing is the typical MRE runs in the neighborhood of... 5000 calories. They're absurdly calorically dense and going to the bathroom after one may or may not be a particularly pleasant experience, just saying.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
The thing is the typical MRE runs in the neighborhood of... 5000 calories. They're absurdly calorically dense and going to the bathroom after one may or may not be a particularly pleasant experience, just saying.

You're talking to a guy who lives in the deep south with fried spicy food, and just about any meat imaginable. While I don't get that much calories, the bathroom wouldn't be out of the ordinary for me. I have a lead belly though.

ConorHyena

road warrior
Probably not. If there are 'military stores' in this country I've never seen one.
I have. It's called a surplus store in the UK :D there's some large ones that even sell decomissioned tanks and armoured cars.

I have eaten a bunch of MREs for various activities outdoors. If your moving a lot and need to take food for 1-2 days with you this is hard to beat. Also, they come in handy for LARP and to have in the car for emergencies.

HarpyFeather

Writting Commissions Are Open <3
I have actually! My father was a Sargent first class for a long time, he would bring them home because he had five kids. (Me being the oldest)
They always had candy bars in them, and instead of us eating our own, we'd make them all at once like a little feast. They weren't first class food by any means, but it was fun to make them in our little backyard, and share the food. I have really good memories attached to them, so I consider myself very lucky.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
MREs are a great option if you're doing long hikes. They're calorie dense, lightweight and a hell of a lot cheaper than the trail rations sold in sporting good stores. They're not bad, too. I used them back in the late 1980s and I thought they were surprisingly tasty. I hear they've gotten a lot better since then too.

O

O.D.D.

MREs are a great option if you're doing long hikes. They're calorie dense, lightweight and a hell of a lot cheaper than the trail rations sold in sporting good stores. They're not bad, too. I used them back in the late 1980s and I thought they were surprisingly tasty. I hear they've gotten a lot better since then too.
The only MRE that's still a Meal Rejected by Everyone is the omelet one I think, that one has a bit of a rep

RogueNoodle

toe bean enthusiast
I've had my fair share! Haven't had one in years, but I remember being younger and finding them to be very charming. Not particularly gourmet, but it's fun if you're a civilian looking for a little activity. Also interesting pieces of military history if you're into collecting the older ones. I remember when they used to have the Tobasco in the little glass bottles. Still have a few.

ben909

vaporeon character is busy so coffee mushroom now
long time ago when some extended family memeber showed them to us when i was 6-12 years old, not sure exactly

but i remember i was really interstrd in all the packaging and that everything was in one bag... even if we ended up using s microwave(was the same way with multitools)

the surplus store used to sell them, but it moved somewere

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
No, but a while back I found this guy's channel:

It's amazing how long they last. While I am tempted to order a few MREs, just to try them, I think I'll opt for the new ones instead.

Tennet_G

Cup O' Depresso
I remember my local surplus store sold them where I was growing up. I got them out of curiosity and hey, 10 dollars for 2 packs seemed pretty good. The food was alright, I would compare it to school lunches actually but more fulfilling. Overall, I'd consider it a good budget food if they are just as cheap now as they were then.

The-Courier

Dreamer of Cheese
I've picked up a few from a local surplus store, dated around 2018. While they were pretty good, I couldn't imagine eating nothing but with little menu variation for months on end.

AniwayasSong

They've sold them long time ago back in 2009 at a local military store, while not something I'd normally eat they were interesting.
My G.I. tract is still getting rid of all the damned MRE's I consumed, and THAT was back in the early 90's! (Pro-tip folks, avoid the cheese spread if you like having regular BM's!)
O.k., crass field jokes aside?
Yes, I eat MRE's, though I'm more fond of dehydrated packets, both for their much lighter weight and taste/physiological side effects.
I happen to LIKE MRE's, truth be told. I've eaten 'C-Rations', and THOSE are abhorrent beyond words! I truly pity all the poor bastards that had to survive on that during WWI/II/Vietnam/Korea!
I think they've done a damned good job with MRE's regarding taste/flavor, texture, and their assorted packages per case bought (if you order them that way), is nice, too. Now that they've got HOT food options? Man, that's nice!

AniwayasSong

Go 'Dehydrated' for hiking! You can literally pack three days of those vs ONE of a regular MRE, weight-wise!

BigFuzzyBenji

*Hugger*
Yes, I've had a number of them. Most were fine...very bland, but fine. I had a couple that were just awful, and then one I can remember that was some kind of a pasta type dish, and it was really good.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Go 'Dehydrated' for hiking! You can literally pack three days of those vs ONE of a regular MRE, weight-wise!
If you have access to water on the trail, yes. Mosr of our hikes either were in the desert or they started in the desert so we had to pack in our water. Dehydrated isn't a weight advantage in that case, but I see your point. As my old scout master was fond of saying: "Ounces are pounds and pounds are pain."

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Meal Rejected by Everyone
Ain't that right?

I joined the USAF in the mid-70's so we ate C-rations in basic, then during field training. We even had a few of the K Rations from WW2 era. The spaghetti with meat ball (one big meatball on top of the spaghetti in a can) was pretty tasty. Always add pepper to this dish. The balogna sandwich? Pitch it out. The MRE's are better, mostly palatable to a degree. None of the instant coffee is worth bothering with, however. The best P-38 openers came in the 'Nam era C rats. sharp and they stayed that way. Still have one from the '70s on my key ring that I use camping.

Regret

Insert Witticism Here
Yeah many times as my buddy usually has crates of them and we use them when camping.