• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Having severe autism

Bigjackaal48

It weird how much misinformation about Classic autism there is online. Like how you can't be high functioning since I've given my parents shocks I can do way more on my own than I could at 18.

Also It doesn't help when a study found that classic autism might actually be a psychotic disorder. This could explain why Chris chan's weird life.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
The functioning labels THEMSELVES are a problem to be honest.

I'll sum up the problem in one question: "High" functioning in regards to WHAT, exactly?

....which probably explains why your parents were shocked you could do so much.

.....and please don't get us started on Chris-chan again.

Only used her as example for psychosis in autism being the same In SZ, Anything outside that will be ignored. Since if CWC was classed as Schizophrenic the hate would not be near has harsh.
it's a shame because he used to be a very active and productive member of the community a long time back.
there's a considerable number of Flash games to Chris Chan's name i remember playing way back when.

Bigjackaal48

it's a shame because he used to be a very active and productive member of the community a long time back.
there's a considerable number of Flash games to Chris Chan's name i remember playing way back when.

Didn't know that, It weird how SZ/Severe autism gets this stigma when studies say both are hypertrophy condition that affects the brain. Because I'm super sure that larger than normal brains or brains with 2.5x the normal amount of neurons was common with SZ now that everyone pretends that was false.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Functioning labels can indeed be vague and misleading, but we do need some kind of system for denoting the kind of support people need, which is what the new DSM 5 has attempted to do.

I've often wondered if what we generally diagnose as or call "autism" might not actually be multiple diagnoses or neurotypes that have been lumped together because they simply present similarly, given the striking diversity that can be found among autistic people themselves.

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
Ya’ll cry that I’m being albeist about this but I still think I need a cure, it’s just a personal preference.

Ennui Elemental

Eat shit and die, tankie assholes
Banned
Ya’ll cry that I’m being albeist about this but I still think I need a cure, it’s just a personal preference.
You have every right to want to be cured. Whether that can and will come to pass is another matter. The only time this should be considered a problem is when you impose your desire for a cure on others who may have no such desire for themselves.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

I'm a goat plushie
i think Chris Chan has more going on than just simply Autism in there

Parabellum3

In his younger years he only displayed classic signs of autism, but as he grew older and constantly enabled by trolls; he appears to have descended into a state of psychosis as a form of adaptation mechanism to help escape reality.

Sam Akuchin Wamm

I'm a goat plushie
In his younger years he only displayed classic signs of autism, but as he grew older and constantly enabled by trolls; he appears to have descended into a state of psychosis as a form of adaptation mechanism to help escape reality.
reality sucks. good for her.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Y'know, I actually have one case of mistaken identity that can go VERY poorly if an autistic person can't speak or articulate (part of what I picture most people seeing as "severe" autism).

You know those chew sticks that you put on a lanyard, that are commonly used by autistic people to calm themselves down or for sensory purposes? I tend to use the larger, cut-them-down-as-they-wear-out kind and, at an airport, I actually got mine mistaken once for a kubotan. For those who don't know what a kubotan is, they're basically pen-sized heavy plastic rods you see on keychains sometimes that are meant to used as a weapon.

I can very easily picture a nonverbal autistic person getting in MAJOR trouble for something like this. It completely caught me off guard even then as it's the first time I'd even HEARD of the things.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.

I barely know anything about Chris Chan but the little I do know about him/her suggests that they are as damaged as they are because of the people who torment them.

This is the image I get from what I've heard:

(not meant to be an insult to Chris, just a commentary on how innocent people get preyed upon by cruel idiots.)

Parabellum3

Y'know, I actually have one case of mistaken identity that can go VERY poorly if an autistic person can't speak or articulate (part of what I picture most people seeing as "severe" autism).

You know those chew sticks that you put on a lanyard, that are commonly used by autistic people to calm themselves down or for sensory purposes? I tend to use the larger, cut-them-down-as-they-wear-out kind and, at an airport, I actually got mine mistaken once for a kubotan. For those who don't know what a kubotan is, they're basically pen-sized heavy plastic rods you see on keychains sometimes that are meant to used as a weapon.

I can very easily picture a nonverbal autistic person getting in MAJOR trouble for something like this. It completely caught me off guard even then as it's the first time I'd even HEARD of the things.
Even though I’m very high functioning, last time I tried to buy my first gun, it didn’t go very well because my symptoms where still noticeable and everyone thought I was gonna be like the next Eliot Rodgers or Nikolas Cruz. I can sue them though for discrimination if I could hire a lawyer I think.

Bigjackaal48

Going by Leo Kanner rules, He a perfect example why the autism spectrum makes no sense. Going armchair doctor, The reason why you can't class him as SZ or comorbid SZ is:

1. The core symptoms of severe autism are the same as a negative episode of SZ.

2. NMDA receptor issues are not quite the same, Autistic brains have too much like but the SERT/DOP mask It in SZ. Meaning It would explain CWC's dream like delusions where she looks confused when it stops most of the time.

2.1 Severe autism & SZ cognitive issues are the same but SA folk seem to override it better.

Short version = This is like getting mad at someone on high dose Ketamine trip saying weird shit they can't remember or understand, Like how SZ is like LSD + DXM trip in basic sense.

Parabellum3

Going by Leo Kanner rules, He a perfect example why the autism spectrum makes no sense. Going armchair doctor, The reason why you can't class him as SZ or comorbid SZ is:

1. The core symptoms of severe autism are the same as a negative episode of SZ.

2. NMDA receptor issues are not quite the same, Autistic brains have too much like but the SERT/DOP mask It in SZ. Meaning It would explain CWC's dream like delusions where she looks confused when it stops most of the time.

2.1 Severe autism & SZ cognitive issues are the same but SA folk seem to override it better.

Short version = This is like getting mad at someone on high dose Ketamine trip saying weird shit they can't remember or understand, Like how SZ is like LSD + DXM trip in basic sense.
All this shit could’ve been prevented if his careless parents would’ve given birth to him earlier.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I'm not sure if this is relevant but I need to vent a bit. I have atypical autism and although I am highly literate and verbal I can't function as an adult and I don't know how to interact with other people. I have high anxiety and I'm socially isolated as well. Just tonight I had an epic meltdown (I beat my head against a wall and screamed my lungs out in the street and tried to jump in front of a car) because the stress and anxiety had built up and needed an outlet.

Whatever. Sorry.

rekcerW

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I need to vent a bit. I have atypical autism and although I am highly literate and verbal I can't function as an adult and I don't know how to interact with other people. I have high anxiety and I'm socially isolated as well. Just tonight I had an epic meltdown (I beat my head against a wall and screamed my lungs out in the street and tried to jump in front of a car) because the stress and anxiety had built up and needed an outlet.

Whatever. Sorry.
Hopefully, it's over and you feel better now.

Bigjackaal48

All this shit could’ve been prevented if his careless parents would’ve given birth to him earlier.
His dad was the nicest of the two, there actual proof of CWC & bob wanting clean the house up but barb had a nuclear meltdown anytime it was done. I seriously this current thing going with Chris is just pent up rage of his mum being a waste of air.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
When I talk to people about having Autism they seem surprised that I have it. Suppose it's because I've adapted and learned how to socialize I 'spose.

Bigjackaal48

When I talk to people about having Autism they seem surprised that I have it. Suppose it's because I've adapted and learned how to socialize I 'spose.
I've had the same reaction despite my records saying I've got severe autism, The internet seems to implode at the bit.

Parabellum3

I have been thinking of this question. Is it possible to date somebody who is not autistic like I am? What are the odds of them falling into me and would a “normal” person even be compatible with our kind?

Bigjackaal48

I have been thinking of this question. Is it possible to date somebody who is not autistic like I am? What are the odds of them falling into me and would a “normal” person even be compatible with our kind?
No any different to a Schizophrenic having a family, A lot of people forget this when it comes to Autism. Before the 90s there was no such thing as modern severe autism It was called early schizophrenia with strong negative episodes.

Even Asperger's counts too since in the 80s It was classed as a childhood Cluster A personality disorder, Aka Schizoid disorder. Which are sometimes nick named weak schizophrenia cause of weird behaviour but no reality breaks like with severe autism.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child

I have never been diagnosed with it and I have dated 1 that is confirmed, and the second I think likely was but refused to tell me.
(I thought he was fidgety with his fingers because he does gardening and plays guitar. Calloused. But along with everything else [and the fact that his son is autistic and those things don't fall far from the tree] I think he was stimming. He also hummed a lot.)

It's not that people are turned away by people with autism (usually), but their behavior. My second ex tried to deny it even when the signs were clear as day. I reassured him that even if he was, I'm still here and it doesn't matter to me. In the end I broke up with him because I caught him in his lies (pretending to be a self-made artist when he was just living off of 2k in disability). He also revealed he had a terrible, terrible and toxic view on women through his actions.

• He was paranoid of who would be texting me at 1am when we were literally both awake chatting at that time every night.
  • He talked about him and only himself for hours on end, even repeating the exact same stories, with the exact same dramatic pauses. No matter how many times I told him "you've already told me this" he just kept going or brought it up again the next day. Absolutely no memory, like my first ex, and it drove me nuts.
  • He started rumors with my online friend, that I'd given him some kind of STD long after we broke up.
  • He also thought it would be a good idea to put on a compilation of 'oops wrong hole' videos and laugh harder any time the girl started crying. And the harder they cried, the harder he laughed and wheezed. He had the nerve to lecture me afterwards, saying I should have just explained myself and talked it out with him instead of abruptly leaving. Problem is, I said twice that this was NOT something I wanted to be seeing and that I was going to leave if it continued. He just continued laughing as if I were never there. He was lost in his own little, sadistic world. And why should I have to even explain to a 30 something year old man how that behavior is highly disturbing/inappropriate?

Personally, I don't see it as 'ah their autism ended the relationship'. They were both very intelligent and even had degrees (which I don't have). One could play guitar, worked as a PSW, was tall and lanky with a dad belly. The other was obese and had better digital art skills than what I'll ever achieve. But they chose not to do ANYTHING with it. They just wanted to sit around binging on videos and games all day. I see it as them having NO ambition vs me being ambitious. All impulse and no goals they wanted to achieve. They were chronic liars that manipulated me for their own personal wants and needs. More importantly, they refused to change their ways to the bitter end. I would personally have more respect for someone if they at least owned up to the fact that they were a shit bag, but they tried to play innocent or forgetful instead of holding themselves accountable for their actions. Now both of them are sitting somewhere, living off of disability and eating like shit until they die young and fat when all I ever expected was to be treated as an equal.

I spent 4 years sharing the same apartment with my first ex and all he did was get progressively worse. And as I mentioned, I'm trying to move forward with my life and make it better. Not look for excuses to make it worse, which was what he did. He was never happy or satisfied with anything, but he also never did anything to change it. He expected everyone else to bend their personalities and work schedules to serve his every impulse. Even when he got his way, he was still unhappy. Between him and all of the other shite that went on in the apartment, I neared my first panic attack. I couldn't live with 10 more years of that and no one should be obligated to put up with so much BS for the rest of their lives.

TLDR; if it was possible for them, it's possible for you! Just don't be like them and you're golden! XD