• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Having severe autism

loups_solitaire

Vick too clever for his own good
sorry if it may seem indelicate it is not the objective but what do you consider as severe autism?
I myself have been diagnosed with TED a long time ago, but the name changes to TSA. but in realties I don't have many of the characteristics of autism. I am much more the French word is (asperger).
so I want to know what do you mean by "severe".

TED definition : https://www.mcgill.ca/buildinglinks/fr/troubles-et-syndromes/ted
TSA definition : https://cenop.ca/troubles-comportement/tsa-trouble-spectre-autisme.php
asperger definition : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#:~:text=Asperger syndrome (AS), also,patterns of behavior and interests.

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
sorry if it may seem indelicate it is not the objective but what do you consider as severe autism?
I myself have been diagnosed with TED a long time ago, but the name changes to TSA. but in realties I don't have many of the characteristics of autism. I am much more the French word is (asperger).
so I want to know what do you mean by "severe".

TED definition : https://www.mcgill.ca/buildinglinks/fr/troubles-et-syndromes/ted
TSA definition : https://cenop.ca/troubles-comportement/tsa-trouble-spectre-autisme.php
asperger definition : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#:~:text=Asperger syndrome (AS), also,patterns of behavior and interests.
Sadly the US lumps Asperger Syndrome and autism together these days. I was diagnosed back when the US still called it Asperger Syndrome.

I don't know what OP considered severe, but my definition of "severe" autism is "significant deficits in communication and executive function to the point where they require support 24/7 or nearly so".

"Moderate" would be requiring support anywhere from an hour or two daily to needing it weekly, whereas "mild" would be the ones who don't need support or only need minimal support.

We can refine these definitions as needed.

Also, "significant deficits in communication" does NOT merely mean they're non-verbal. Nonverbal is not something I'd call a deficit on its own when we have a lot of text-based communication. For "nonverbal" to be a significant deficit you'd need something else with it (say, the more significant forms of dyslexia).

Feel free to ask me about more specifics if necessary.

Parabellum3

I'm not a furry if I have feathers.
Back then Aspergers was commonly compared to mid-higher functioning autism.

N

NumbersNumbersNumbers

Chris Chan has more than Autism and that is why he is the way he is. He has several untreated psychiatric disorders and was medically neglected growing up (and also was psychologically tortured by large chunks of the internet). His psychosis is suspected schizophrenia but it could also be dietarily related (Chris has not eaten a vegetable since the 80s nor has he really been told to care for himself). And his other issues can be attributed to other related disorders, although I will not go out of my way to diagnose him since I am not his doctor. Chris is not reflective of anyone with Autism, of anyone who is trans, or any person in general other than himself. He is, in the most literal sense, a byproduct of his abusive environment. And at this point it's just best to leave that where it is now. We all know what Chris did and at this point, this should be a sign to just let the beaten horse die. He literally thinks he is Jesus now.

N

NumbersNumbersNumbers

That was the old term for "high functioning" autism. It was named after the Nazi doctor who studied autistic children and these were the ones determined "fit to work"

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
Yup. I was diagnosed with Asperger's years ago, but it seems to go under the umbrella term of "Autism" nowadays from the looks of it.
Fun to see how people react when I mention I have it.

Parabellum3

That was the old term for "high functioning" autism. It was named after the Nazi doctor who studied autistic children and these were the ones determined "fit to work"
Yup. I was diagnosed with Asperger's years ago, but it seems to go under the umbrella term of "Autism" nowadays from the looks of it.
Fun to see how people react when I mention I have it.
Now people think if you claim you have Aspergers then it must mean you’re an albeist lol.

N

NumbersNumbersNumbers

Now people think if you claim you have Aspergers then it must mean you’re an albeist lol.
I mean the name behind the diagnosis is an ableist fuckwad. Eugenics is never good. Tbh if that's the label you wanna own I wont stop ya. I simply exist to say random facts because that is all I am good for (which is probably why I work as a museum lmao)

Parabellum3

I mean the name behind the diagnosis is an ableist fuckwad. Eugenics is never good. Tbh if that's the label you wanna own I wont stop ya. I simply exist to say random facts because that is all I am good for (which is probably why I work as a museum lmao)
Was he an actual Nazi btw?

Firuthi Dragovic

World Serpent, overly defensive
I pretty much make it a point to accept either "Aspergers" or "autistic" with my own label. My family still uses the term "Aspergers" simply because that was the label when I was diagnosed, and I put up with it because it's a reminder of who NOT to act like.

Thing is, regardless of the ableism of the original diagnoser, harassing and ostracizing people over a label generally makes their situation worse, not better.

Was he an actual Nazi btw?
More like a cog in the machine than an actual Nazi from what quick research I'm gathering here. Still incredibly ableist at the very least.

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
Nah. Never come across any such individual. People may not know to a full extent what having Asperger's/Autism may entail, but the people I have talked with have always showed friendliness and a willingness to have a conversation about the topic, which is very refreshing and fun. Don't treat me as if I am of lower intelligence on the mere basis of having Asperger's.

loups_solitaire

Vick too clever for his own good
Hello, I just want to talk a bit about myself. If it's not the right place, tell me and I'll delete it.
as I said earlier in the conversation, I follow a functional autist. I have a few friends who also have autism but are far less functional than me so for this kind of conversation it's not
I am practically autonomous and fully functional. I'm only 22 so I'm giving myself some time.
I was diagnosed very young due to circumstances so I may speak later. my family has always been there to help me and progress. it is thanks to him and the tools he provided me that I am who I am. currently studying at university to become an engineer and I work as a project manager for the government.

apart from a detail it is almost impossible to say that I am different. this detail is my most precious tool. without him, I would surely not be here.
I have had this tool for ten years now. here it is.
1643471928600.png

this is my mira dog Kopeck.
she has only been with me for two years but before that my Kwanza followed me for 9 years of my life.
these dogs are one of the rare things that made me (normal) today.
kopeck my companion 365 days a year and 24 hours a day. I can take her anywhere that's the law.

Attachments

• 1643471972389.png
    1643471972389.png
    651.8 KB · Views: 7