• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Heavy metal (or no metal at all) The Brutal thread

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium
While we're in the middle of the metal thread's revival, can I ask if any of you guys know what genre of metal Mastodon is ? It's not the first time I consult such a map of metal genres and I never seem to be able to find them on there ...

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever
I enjoy We Came As Romans myself.
Okay, if you're a fan, suggestions on songs from them?

I'm not that into metal that much, but I did find this site:
http://mapofmetal.com/#/home I found it pretty interesting.
I've seen that before but I just now noticed when you click on a genre it gives you a list of songs and you can click on those songs and listen to them...

My issue is there's so many metal genre now it's hard to figure out which one is which, and artists often will mix their music between genre, having one song in one type of metal and another more like another type.

New wave of American heavy metal - Lamb of God's Laid To Rest is here? After Nu Metal? I figured they were more like Melodic Death Metal myself.

Nu-Metal - Slipknot? Disturbed? Static-X? Mudvayne? Really? When I think of Nu-metal I think of Korn, Limp Bisquick and shit. I am seriously disappointed to see stuff as good as those four bands labeled "Nu-Metal". :/

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever

CrazyLee

Biggest buttplug ever

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium
I gotta admit Slipknot stopped being nu-metal in the "mix of rap and metal" sense after their first album (imo of course, I wouldn't want to seem to be forcing my views upon you fine and knowledgeable gentlemen :V)

MichaelFoster

Occasionally enjoys bass >3>
I gotta admit Slipknot stopped being nu-metal in the "mix of rap and metal" sense after their first album (imo of course, I wouldn't want to seem to be forcing my views upon you fine and knowledgeable gentlemen :V)
The only reason I liked them was because they WERE nu metal. Now theyre just shitty alt rock like everyone else on rock radio. Cept like Mastodon. But theyre an exception....i love mastodon...

And does anyone know when Sunn is supposed to release some new shit? Ive got the need to feel the breeze between my knees.

Schwimmwagen

Ohai don't mind me popping in here, I was gonna ask, could anyone recommend any bands/songs that a Rammstein/zYnthetic fan like me would like? o: A lot of metal songs/groups I'm finding lately are full of constant monotonous chord-spamming and near-unintelligible screaming/growling which to me, is utter rubbish and not at all pleasant to listen to. Bonus points if their focus is on instrumental-only pieces, or they sing in a language different to English! (I really could not care less about lyrics in music I listen to - If I wanted lyrics I would read poetry, what I want is sound) Let me also add that this is my own taste and I'm not trying to rip into, or question anyone else's. :p

Thanks for any suggestions. :3c

MichaelFoster

A lot of metal songs/groups I'm finding lately are full of constant monotonous chord-spamming and near-unintelligible screaming/growling which to me, is utter rubbish and not at all pleasant to listen to.
You mean like Rammstein? >_>

But anyway...Genghis Tron...Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Whourkr, We Butter The Bread With Butter, The Bunny The Bear and Igorr.
It might not be exactly what you like, but its close enough. I dont really listen to that genre. Just youtube them.

Schwimmwagen

You mean like Rammstein? >_>

But anyway...Genghis Tron...Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Whourkr, We Butter The Bread With Butter, The Bunny The Bear and Igorr.
It might not be exactly what you like, but its close enough. I dont really listen to that genre. Just youtube them.

Well by constant I mean a bit more like this. To me personally, it sounds like radio interference (my hearing sucks) so I prefer a little bit more distinguishable form, know what I mean? Rammstein riffs have slower pacing and thus are more distinguishable. Repetition is fine. As for Rammstein lyrics, I wouldn't call them unintelligible. I like the fact that they're singing in a different language because I'm not forced to look out for meaning and as I have hearing difficulties, the whole thing is spoiled for me if I was. Due there being no need to really listen to speech coupled with a vocalist who writes his lyrics expecting the majority of his fans not to understand anyway (even a bunch of his German fans don't understand what he's singing about), the voice is treated more like an instrument in itself rather than a method of communication that gets drowned out by all the instruments. What's more, some Rammstein songs have lyrics that have a bit of an operatic style to them which is a touch I really like which sets them apart from a lot of other bands I hear and the best part is that I'm not expected to listen to meaning. I know you might say I should just listen to classic opera-style music (which I enjoy, of course), but where will I find those metal instrumentals to go along with it? Rammstein are one source, but what about others? Anyway, thanks for those suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out, and if anyone knows any more, go ahead and tell me! :3c

Last edited:

VoidBat

[yt]wTdW7gBYOgQ[/yt]
[yt]GR8uhQqQ4s0[/yt]
[yt]LZtGEP6JMwk[/yt]
[yt]ariLxKxlGMo[/yt]

A little bit of Motograter and Koyi K Utho is always refreshing.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
You guys diggin the new FFDP CD? I'm finding it to be pretty fantastic.

VoidBat

[yt]Dk6gxpl1OAw[/yt]
[yt]7c3qYTKsZp4[/yt]
I've to say that I'm very impressed with this album (Riot Squad) from Paradox. Riptide gets the adrenaline pumping at 110%.

MichaelFoster

[video=youtube;BoUpC6O-wWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoUpC6O-wWY[/video]
Best friends band.
Go like their facebook.
When they get as many likes as their old band (different vocalist and bassist) they'll start playing live shows.

C

cad

[video=youtube;3an8jdsVM3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3an8jdsVM3s&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Never thought I'd ever post in this thread.

Hir

my name is lucifer, pleased to meet you.
nordic? sludgy drone? it's funeral doom, man.