• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Help fight internet censorship and SOPA!

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
The vote on PIPA will not happen this Tuesday as expected after all.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/4368

Original by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid:

There is no reason that the legitimate issues raised by many about this bill cannot be resolved. Counterfeiting and piracy cost the American economy billions of dollars and thousands of jobs each year, with the movie industry alone supporting over 2.2 million jobs. We must take action to stop these illegal practices. We live in a country where people rightfully expect to be fairly compensated for a day’s work, whether that person is a miner in the high desert of Nevada, an independent band in New York City, or a union worker on the back lots of a California movie studio. I admire the work that Chairman Leahy has put into this bill. I encourage him to continue engaging with all stakeholders to forge a balance between protecting Americans’ intellectual property, and maintaining openness and innovation on the internet. We made good progress through the discussions we’ve held in recent days, and I am optimistic that we can reach a compromise in the coming weeks.

Translation:

Let's wait until everyone's stopped watching us before we pass this pile.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
The battle is won!

Senator Reid, who controlled the fate of PIPA, shelved it!

Minutes later, Rep. Lamar Smith, chairman of the committee SOPA was in, also shelved it!

This battle is officially won, but as always the war is never over.

Reid:
http://reid.senate.gov/newsroom/pr_012012_reidstatementonintellectualpropertybill.cfm
https://twitter.com/#!/SenatorReid/status/160367959464878080
https://twitter.com/#!/SenatorReid/status/160368305050357760
https://twitter.com/#!/SenatorReid/status/160369258130456576

Smith:
http://judiciary.house.gov/news/01202012.html

Last edited:

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium
I just received an email from fightforthefuture.org stating that congress has dropped both SOPA and PIPA. Can anybody confirm this?

Just got the same email. Other people on an IRC I'm on right now seem to agree.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Last edited:

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
I am so excited I will walk naked around the house. This is no different than my normal day but now it means something

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
The battle is won!
The problem is they'll keep trying until a renamed identical bill is passed, I say now that the battle is won teabag them so they'll think twice before doing so.

Gryphoneer

20 Quatloos on "disruptive"
Sorry, but that amounts only to a stage victory at the most.

The fight is never over, there will always be bastards who want to make the world a worse place for whatever reason. Eternal vigilance, anyone?

Especially not given that the moneybags are still moneybags and therefore in charge.

Oh good. Now will all those "Fight the power!" assholes shut the fuck up and stop having Anarchistic fantasies of riot and revolution, for at least a little while?
Let me think about it...

Naw.

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium
Better yet, make lobbying a thing of the past and let politicians make their decisions based on what's best for all the people.

Somewhere, in the United States, a politician just shuddered and is jokingly dismissed it as someone walking on their grave.

GingerM

Appaloosa Horsegirl
(cross-posting this from the Megauploads shutdown thread)

While I don't know the specifics of what triggered the Megauploads shutdown, something I heard discussed on the local radio (CBC) yesterday intrigued me as far as the question of piracy is concerned. Disclaimer - this is me paraphrasing a discussion I heard as best as I remember it, and so far as I know, neither the host nor the guest are lawyers, though the guest works in the Canadian publishing industry. It was pointed out that laws on things such as copyright differ from one nation to another, even with those nations signatory to the Berne Convention on copyright. The specific example used was the works of Ernest Hemmingway. In Canada, those works are now coming into the public domain, because Canadian copyright law provides a lesser period of protection (though it meets the requirements of the Berne Convention) than US copyright. So if someone in Canada were to upload the text of one of his books to a server, has that person broken the law? Yes in the US, no in Canada. It gets even murkier once you start asking "where is the server located", or "is the domain name a (US) domestic one (i.e., a .com domain)?" There are quite a few Canadian web services that host on servers in Canada yet have .com domain names and would therefore be considered "domestic" under the definition used in SOPA.

This opens the possibility of someone posting something which is in fact legally public domain in one jurisdiction yet the US demanding extradition because it's not public domain in the US. Then there's the other side of the question - if a resident of the US accesses a server located outside the US and views or downloads that public-domain-in-that-country content, have they committed piracy? This is one of many, many reasons why SOPA is a poor bill. I am willing, Pollyanna that I am, to presume that US legislators are not inherently malevolent, but mere ignorance of how the net works and the fact that it is an information system that transcends national boundaries means they must consider the question of how copyright and trademark may be different in different nations and that what may be an infringement in the US can still be not a crime. The alternative is that web hosters everywhere will have to research and be aware of copyright and trademark laws not just in their own country but in other countries. The legal ramifications of that are just incredibly complex.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
HAs anyone realized that any government does not need SOPA or PIPA to be able to shut down sites based on piracy laws? they proved that by shutting down megaupload. If the government wanted to shut down sites on piracy laws they can, even without SOPA and PIPA.

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins

CannonFodder

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
It looks like they found out how to kill the internet, cause no congressman getting re-elected would dare vote against it.

Unless it was called what it is: a Big Brother blackmail bill. (Alliteration could help it catch on.)

Why am I not surprised?

Edit: And look at that, his district is a gerrymandered monster northeast of San Antonio and Austin tentacle-raping both cities.

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Back to arms then?

I hate that man. Get him out of congress, get him out now! Or I'll come to texas and strangle you all.
In all fairness, Texas politics is so fucked up the ass that if Perry were to secede Texas, that within a week the state would be a flamming turd on fire with how little they understand how to run anything.