• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Help! My Cat Is Broke

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
By "broke" I mean he's freaking out. So, here's what happened: I let both my cats outside so they could enjoy the nice air and have some fun. Coal, the broken cat, likes to spend his time outside eating grass and then vomiting. To each his own I suppose.

So I'm petting Tiger and Coal is out doing his own thing and it's time to go in. Tiger goes in without a fuss, and Coal...is broken. I get near him, calmly say his name to announce my presence, and...poof. Broken. He starts hissing and yowling and growling.

I took some video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFWYSuo27tQ&feature=g-upl

This happens pretty much every time I let him out. He acts like that for about an hour and then gets over it. Right now, he's stalking me around the house and hissing to let me know he's still pissed off.

I don't really know what does this. Maybe he has a belly ache from the grass? He'll vomit it all up soon, I imagine.

He did chase around a vole at some point, but that was after he broke. I don't think it bit him.

What's funny is after I stopped the video, my neighbor let his dog out. Coal ran to the fence and started hissing at it like a madman...er, cat. I grabbed him and took him in then, when he was distracted. The dog was a golden retriever and the only thing that saved my stupid cat was the fence. He has no fear when it comes to large dogs (I've seen him do this before). I had to apologize to the owner of the dog, "sorry my cat is a right asshole. I'll take him inside"

So yeah. He's broken. I would LOVE to know why he does this. It's really, really annoying.

Teal

Squirrel
Kinda acts like my cat when I put him in his room at night (if I don't he jumps on everyones faces).

He'll run under the couch, hisses, bites....

Maybe your cat is being terrirorial?

Conker

Kinda acts like my cat when I put him in his room at night (if I don't he jumps on everyones faces).

He'll run under the couch, hisses, bites....

Maybe your cat is being terrirorial?
He gets oddly feral when he's let outside for half an hour, that's for sure. But he never acts like this when he's inside. Usually he's pretty nice, though he's never exactly "chill." He has a lot of energy.

The first time he "broke" was when he bit through my brother's tablet cord. My bro yelled at him and chased him around in his own blind fury, and Coal was in this state for about four hours. Then he was fine. So I associate this with him being scared, but he isn't really scared of me since he's right next to me, trying to murder me with a glare.

Teal

Squirrel
He gets oddly feral when he's let outside for half an hour, that's for sure. But he never acts like this when he's inside. Usually he's pretty nice, though he's never exactly "chill." He has a lot of energy.

The first time he "broke" was when he bit through my brother's tablet cord. My bro yelled at him and chased him around in his own blind fury, and Coal was in this state for about four hours. Then he was fine. So I associate this with him being scared, but he isn't really scared of me since he's right next to me, trying to murder me with a glare.
The outside does things, very weird things....

My cat has chewed through the cord of three pairs of headphones, a mouse and someother thing. He's evil.

Conker

The outside does things, very weird things....

My cat has chewed through the cord of three pairs of headphones, a mouse and someother thing. He's evil.
Mine has done the same. He also did a keyboard in.

Neoi

Lone Wolf
Hmm... I don't know, he seems to be very territorial. Maybe he is ill or something, hope you fix him lol.

Aleu

Deuces
OMG YOUR CAT IS SO ADORABLE EEEEEEEE!

I think he might be territorial. Maybe there's another cat out and about marking things, he smells it, then gets into a...hissy fit. He's calmer inside because he smells only him and the other cat you have that he's familiar to instead of mystery cat.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I think he might be territorial. Maybe there's another cat out and about marking things, he smells it, then gets into a...hissy fit. He's calmer inside because he smells only him and the other cat you have that he's familiar to instead of mystery cat.

This makes sense to me. I used to have a cat who would also freak out like this if there was a stray cat out wandering around by our house. Normally very sweet, always wanted attention, but if he smelled a strange cat he'd hiss at you and everything else and start using his claws until that smell went away. Made him really nervous and edgy. Maybe that's why your cat is acting this way.

Conker

OMG YOUR CAT IS SO ADORABLE EEEEEEEE!

Could be it. I went for a walk and he seems better now. He's no longer stalking me around the house and telling me to fuck off. I assume that's what he's telling me when he gets like that.

He is a cute little guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P310dtIqFA0&feature=g-upl

That's how he acts before he goes outside.

Conker

I'm going to come to your house and steal your cat now.
Shit's adorable for a minute or two online, but he gets that way at 5:00 in the morning when he wants food too. Not so adorable then.

Or the other day, when he thought I needed to get up at 7:00 even though it was Saturday. I fed him, but nope, I still needed to get up. Hangover be damned!

Honestly, he's an asshole of a cat.

Ricky

He's neutered, right?

Even if he is, cats can have these types of problems (especially males).

The last cat I had was really sociable until the people out back got an orange tabby. Then he just sat at the window all day, every day, looking out at it. I'm pretty sure he made that sound, too. It got to the point where I had to let him outside and he was really happy out there (although I was worried about him getting hit by a car) but he got allergies to something BAD right out of the blue. Prednisone hardly helped and I had to keep him inside but he wasn't happy at all -- just stared out the window all day.

The thing about cats is they aren't going to want to do things for you. If you want him to go inside he's not necessarily going to want to (actually, I think they often play Devil's Advocate). You know best and you are bigger than him. Don't take shit from him; just pick the fucker up and bring him inside when you want him inside. You can't expect to call to him and have him listen.

If he's being hostile then that's another story. He seems like he's just being bitchy though, like a cat ;)

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
reminds me of my cat bear :3

he would always sleep with me so he could suckle on my pinky :3

Conker

The thing about cats is they aren't going to want to do things for you. If you want him to go inside he's not necessarily going to want to (actually, I think they often play Devil's Advocate). You know best and you are bigger than him. Don't take shit from him; just pick the fucker up and bring him inside when you want him inside. You can't expect to call to him and have him listen.

If he's being hostile then that's another story. He seems like he's just being bitchy though, like a cat ;)
Ha. Well, the other one comes when he's called. It's not so much that he's going "I DON'T WANT TO GO INSIDE" but rather he acts like this for an hour. He followed me around the house making all sorts of unholy noises. It's just bizarre.

The territorial thing makes sense. I've seen random cats on our deck before, for example.

Gr8fulFox

I wouldn't worry too much; as my fathers friend, an avid cat lover, says, "Black cats just seem... broken." Of course, he told us this while demonstrating how he had just taught his cat how to fetch an ice cube, so...

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
Cat seems overstimulated/ unable to cope with the new options, so he kinda shuts down and flips out. I know when my cat has a lot of new....something or others(namely meeting new people, things are moving, vaccumes being set off) he goes into a similar freak-out mode. He doesn't want to be touched, doesn't want anything near him, and he's an absolute sweetheart 99.5% of the time.

That theory would lend well to the fact that with another new major factor coming into play (your neighbor's dog coming out) that he'd go straight for it. Another stressor, and your cat's response instead of flight, is to fight it. Neutered males can be territorial, but that's generally over a common area they're in. I don't know how often your cat is outside/ your cat hasn't marked off your yard unless he's gone out and rubbed the shit out of everything.

Long story short, i don't know. But i'd put my money on being overstimulated.

koregg

^my cat does the same :/