• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Help : what is my style ?

Klox

Rollling Tumbling along
Hello !

So ive been on FA for 3 weeks now and ive been drawing steadily since then, like 1 drawing every 2 days almost. With 20+ submissions i feel like people can have a good idea of what im able to do and so can help me by giving me feedback. I plan to do 3 thread about ME (public : *woohoo*) lol : about my style, my speed and my sketch-to-lineart process.
This first one is about my style, because its the one im the most concerned about !

So i feel ok about my anatomy, compo and color. But i feel like i dont really have a "style", something that would make people say "oh its Klox who did that" and not another rando on internet. Maybe its because im heads down on my art so i cant see the common points between my different artworks, but i feel like im lacking a cohesive style.

THATS WHERE you can help me ! Yes, YOU lol Please check my art and tell me what you think : do you see something in my artwork that keeps coming back (color, structure, lineart style etc) ? Could you tell me what avenues i should pursue, like "oh i see X that could be somthing interesting to continue to improve, i dont see that often" ? if you dont see a style at all and are like " everybody can do that" ( ( ╥ω╥ ) ), can you tell me what to do to find a pist to make my art more personalized ?

If you feel like you can add any constructive criticism, youre welcome to share too !

My gallery is here to find more examples and my NSFW ones. Also please dont hesitate to watch, comment, favorite or whatever, im craving interaction (。•́︿•̀。) sometimes i feel like posting on FA is like pissing in the wind lol AM I ALOOOONE is somebodyy there beyond this heavy aching feet.... (wolfs rain ? anybodys got it ? )

Some examples here :

haru fa final vert.jpg

Rainy guard day background fa sans pluie.jpg

legosi fa jaune.jpg

eve fa final.jpg

Maddie the hippo finishh.jpg

ok you probably got the idea. PLEASE HELP <3 <3

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Hello there!

That's a pretty impressive amount of work and I would say keep it up without burning yourself out. The best way to flesh out your portfolio is to practice! (I say this as I have 3 pieces total on my account and a slew of unfinished things.....) I would also recommend watching digital tutorials to try and discover different ways of doing things. Again I speak from experience as I seem to have fallen into a certain style and have difficulty doing things with a different flavor.

But anyways, I'm going to focus on which of your pieces pop out and seem unique to me. I really enjoy the pieces you have where your character has dark linework, complemented by a lineless, painterly background. The prime examples are your two Beastars pieces. I really enjoy them! They have a lot of movement and I feel are well balanced.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the other pieces, too. But these two feel deliberate, finished, and though they have a sort of sketchy feel, I could imagine them on a cover of something. I think the partial backgrounds also have a good feel to them; like if the Haru one was full of the sunflowers, it would be too much.

Klox

Rollling Tumbling along
Hello there!

That's a pretty impressive amount of work and I would say keep it up without burning yourself out. The best way to flesh out your portfolio is to practice! (I say this as I have 3 pieces total on my account and a slew of unfinished things.....) I would also recommend watching digital tutorials to try and discover different ways of doing things. Again I speak from experience as I seem to have fallen into a certain style and have difficulty doing things with a different flavor.

But anyways, I'm going to focus on which of your pieces pop out and seem unique to me. I really enjoy the pieces you have where your character has dark linework, complemented by a lineless, painterly background. The prime examples are your two Beastars pieces. I really enjoy them! They have a lot of movement and I feel are well balanced.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the other pieces, too. But these two feel deliberate, finished, and though they have a sort of sketchy feel, I could imagine them on a cover of something. I think the partial backgrounds also have a good feel to them; like if the Haru one was full of the sunflowers, it would be too much.
Thank you so much for your answer !

Yeah, im a little afraid of burning out too, but to be honest in quarantine drawing is the only thing motivating me lol. ive been stuck inside for 2 month with no jobs (i know for most ppl its been longer but before i was in a country that wasnt really affected by covid) and drawing is a thing that helps me keep track of the time passing because i can see myself evolving and it makes me feel like theres a continuity in my life, instead of the same day repeating itself, something like that. I dont know if im alone in feeling like that ? i dread the day i wont be motivated to draw anymore ▓▒░(°◡°)░▒▓ hoping it wont happen lol

ANYWAY sorry for the bummer lol, digital tutorials is actually a good idea ! i tried some and i learn how to shade. But i feel like most of them take a long time to explain something short so i keep loosing concentration lol. Do you have good tuto to share ??

and thank you for the feedback about the style ! I see, dark linework and lineless background is something i do by default indeed ! im happy you said that bc im insecure about my linework actually. Before my lineart was kind of sketchy because it was hard for me to do a whole arm lineart for example in one go, i tended to do multiple traits instead. Now im trying to do one-go lineart, as if it was ink (im not really clear lol but you can see that in the hippo drawing which is older, the lineart is a lot of mini-lines actually. while the latest, legosi, is only one line).
And i was hesitating because in a lot of "pro" artwork i dont see lineart at all ! so i was like "should i stop doing linework all together?" but it felt really not natural for me :v i was wondering if the "next step" should be going lineless, and i tried but honestly it looked ugly lol. So thank to you now i can say "actually its MY STYLE not smth to change" lol <( ̄︶ ̄)>

im finishing the last of my beastars series today actually, with louis ! to make one artwork with the 3 of them together :3 im glad you're enjoying them !

I checked your art and its really cool too ! its true its 3 artwork but its really promising !! and you can do both lineless and lineness 'o' (is it english lol )

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Thank you so much for your answer !

Yeah, im a little afraid of burning out too, but to be honest in quarantine drawing is the only thing motivating me lol. ive been stuck inside for 2 month with no jobs (i know for most ppl its been longer but before i was in a country that wasnt really affected by covid) and drawing is a thing that helps me keep track of the time passing because i can see myself evolving and it makes me feel like theres a continuity in my life, instead of the same day repeating itself, something like that. I dont know if im alone in feeling like that ? i dread the day i wont be motivated to draw anymore ▓▒░(°◡°)░▒▓ hoping it wont happen lol

ANYWAY sorry for the bummer lol, digital tutorials is actually a good idea ! i tried some and i learn how to shade. But i feel like most of them take a long time to explain something short so i keep loosing concentration lol. Do you have good tuto to share ??

and thank you for the feedback about the style ! I see, dark linework and lineless background is something i do by default indeed ! im happy you said that bc im insecure about my linework actually. Before my lineart was kind of sketchy because it was hard for me to do a whole arm lineart for example in one go, i tended to do multiple traits instead. Now im trying to do one-go lineart, as if it was ink (im not really clear lol but you can see that in the hippo drawing which is older, the lineart is a lot of mini-lines actually. while the latest, legosi, is only one line).
And i was hesitating because in a lot of "pro" artwork i dont see lineart at all ! so i was like "should i stop doing linework all together?" but it felt really not natural for me :v i was wondering if the "next step" should be going lineless, and i tried but honestly it looked ugly lol. So thank to you now i can say "actually its MY STYLE not smth to change" lol <( ̄︶ ̄)>

im finishing the last of my beastars series today actually, with louis ! to make one artwork with the 3 of them together :3 im glad you're enjoying them !

I checked your art and its really cool too ! its true its 3 artwork but its really promising !! and you can do both lineless and lineness 'o' (is it english lol )
I use Clip Studio Paint and they actually have a lot of user-made tutorials that are really helpful. They're text / pictures, not videos and you can skip things you already know pretty easily. Clip Studio is a lot like Photoshop and I believe Paint Tool Sai so the tools / terminology should transfer over.
- Clip Studio Tips Link -

I would try playing with both even messier / sketchier line work and then also try really clean lines. See what you like, and how you feel about them. My best tip is whatever you do, make it look intentional, not a mistake. Sometimes I see art pieces from people with a few stray pixels; the pixels obviously were not supposed to be there and were just missed. But when an artist purposefully goes out of the linework for a style, you can tell it was meant to look like that. Sometimes if we're not good at something, when you make it look intentional, no one can tell!

Like, if you're not great at consistent proportions, do really wonky, exaggerated features.

But the best thing is to keep practicing. Keep drawing. Look at art you really like and try to draw it yourself. You don't have to publish it (and certainly shouldn't if you are drawing someone else's art, of course), but it's a good way to learn.

Lastly, a good in between for linework / lineless is thin, light colored lines. You can google around but here's a simple one I liked:
tumblr_pegssuWAsp1xfr90go1_1280.png

moutymoo

Hey !

I really like how the messy lineart complements with your colouring, it wierdly goes together well depite the messiness ^^. The manner in wich you colour your drawings really gives it identity I think. In the sense that it reappears in a way in every drawing and reminds me in some way of impressionist paintings
Also, the way the bodies are drawn, with thin extremities ( wrists, ankles and calves ) reappears in most of your drawings giving them even more identity !

Combining this semi-complex colouring, "exagerated" anatomy and messy lineart is what gives uniqueness to your drawings and by definition, is your artstyle ! Of course, everything is bound to improve someday, as long as you practice and like what you draw, you'll naturally tend towards an even more unique artstyle.

Here's for general criticisim :

I find that your partial landscape/jungle/forest piece has good vibes but it lacks depth, it looks like the character is standing on a steep slope as if she was on the same plane as the furthest point of the gate she is guarding. Of course there is always room for improvement , checking some persective tutos and techniques can always help, even with non building landscapes. I used to watch Bob Ross a lot when I got into landscapes and it helped me a lot with depth and all using colours. Also, using geometrical shapes to sketch volumes is a good plan, using planes, cubes, cylinders, all of that using vanishing points and perspective ads a lot of depth to the image, though it needs to be complemented by lighting and shading to get the best out of it.

The other drawing look good, especially the Beastars fan-arts. I really like the backlight on the espeon piece, you really nailed it! The pose for the Hippo lady is really interesting, though lighting and shading could be improved to avoid ambiguity ( it looks like her right arm is shorter than the left one, maybe because of the lack of depth on the right arm )

Other than that, I think you're doing pretty well ! I trust you'll improve very well, but don't tire yourself out too much ;)

Klox

Rollling Tumbling along
OOoh crap i didnt check the forums since a while, i didnt see that sorry ! Thank you so much for both your insightful answers, it really helps me ToT

I use Clip Studio Paint and they actually have a lot of user-made tutorials that are really helpful. They're text / pictures, not videos and you can skip things you already know pretty easily. Clip Studio is a lot like Photoshop and I believe Paint Tool Sai so the tools / terminology should transfer over.

I would try playing with both even messier / sketchier line work and then also try really clean lines. See what you like, and how you feel about them. My best tip is whatever you do, make it look intentional, not a mistake. Sometimes I see art pieces from people with a few stray pixels; the pixels obviously were not supposed to be there and were just missed. But when an artist purposefully goes out of the linework for a style, you can tell it was meant to look like that. Sometimes if we're not good at something, when you make it look intentional, no one can tell!

Like, if you're not great at consistent proportions, do really wonky, exaggerated features.

But the best thing is to keep practicing. Keep drawing. Look at art you really like and try to draw it yourself. You don't have to publish it (and certainly shouldn't if you are drawing someone else's art, of course), but it's a good way to learn.

Lastly, a good in between for linework / lineless is thin, light colored lines. You can google around but here's a simple one I liked:View attachment 106982
Oh okay ill check those clips, thank you so much ! i have corel painter and unfortunately i dont see a lot of good tuto on that, but i may change soon bc it keeps crashing !

Oh yeah for the stray pixels i always do that lol, im so happy of having finished my art that i post it quickly and once its on the website i see all the defaults but im too sick of looking at it to return to it lol. i should prob wait one day before posting it and check before posting, but meeh lot of efforts lol. I'll definitely do as you say and try different styles ! im trying to do a messier one right now, but its hard to go against smth im used to haha !

And WOW im blown away by this lineart tip, i must try it immediately !! itll take longer to make the lineart but it seems definitely worth it. THANKS SO MUCH for the tip !!

Hey !

I really like how the messy lineart complements with your colouring, it wierdly goes together well depite the messiness ^^. The manner in wich you colour your drawings really gives it identity I think. In the sense that it reappears in a way in every drawing and reminds me in some way of impressionist paintings
Also, the way the bodies are drawn, with thin extremities ( wrists, ankles and calves ) reappears in most of your drawings giving them even more identity !

Combining this semi-complex colouring, "exagerated" anatomy and messy lineart is what gives uniqueness to your drawings and by definition, is your artstyle ! Of course, everything is bound to improve someday, as long as you practice and like what you draw, you'll naturally tend towards an even more unique artstyle.

Here's for general criticisim :

I find that your partial landscape/jungle/forest piece has good vibes but it lacks depth, it looks like the character is standing on a steep slope as if she was on the same plane as the furthest point of the gate she is guarding. Of course there is always room for improvement , checking some persective tutos and techniques can always help, even with non building landscapes. I used to watch Bob Ross a lot when I got into landscapes and it helped me a lot with depth and all using colours. Also, using geometrical shapes to sketch volumes is a good plan, using planes, cubes, cylinders, all of that using vanishing points and perspective ads a lot of depth to the image, though it needs to be complemented by lighting and shading to get the best out of it.

The other drawing look good, especially the Beastars fan-arts. I really like the backlight on the espeon piece, you really nailed it! The pose for the Hippo lady is really interesting, though lighting and shading could be improved to avoid ambiguity ( it looks like her right arm is shorter than the left one, maybe because of the lack of depth on the right arm )

Other than that, I think you're doing pretty well ! I trust you'll improve very well, but don't tire yourself out too much ;)

Heyy you there haha ! its so crazy you say that, bc i always thought my style was clean with realisticish proportions !! i think its because im attracted to really messy and stylized artsyle, in comparison mine looks the opposite lol. so your detailed answer abt my style really helps me a lot to put things into perspective !! wow its true i draw thin extremities i wasnt even aware of it lol.

and thanks for the feedback abt those artwork !!
yeah i totally agree with the forest piece, i like the dragoness, i like the background, but the 2 together look like they come from different places lol, like a big floating bubblegum stain in the middle of a painting HAHA ! ill check bob ross then, and try the geometrical shapes ! its true im not so good at perspective. some pieces with character in dynamic poses come naturally for me, and others take me hours altho its the same difficulty, so it prob mean i should work on that.
im really fond of my beastars too, ty ;v; except legosis face lol, but oh well.

Thank you for your wonderful encouragement !! ill draw a lot more to keep defining my style :3
and dont hesitate if u need help too <3

Klox

Rollling Tumbling along

Lastly, a good in between for linework / lineless is thin, light colored lines. You can google around but here's a simple one I liked:View attachment 106982
i tried the lineart stuff tonight in 2 drawings tonight !! the first one didnt came out great, i dont know why ?? but the second one was like the example you gave me so im super happy ! thanks again for the tip !!

EDIT : its too big to post here and im too lazy to make a new version, why is this site like this -_- its in my gallery